crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Do any other members with 2018+ GT's have a weird diesel sound coming from (or around) Cylinder 1? This *isn't* the tick, this is a different sound. I don't know if this is some issue sound, like a knock of some kind. I can only hear it around the first cylinder on my passenger side. I just want to know if anyone else has this or if it's a normal operating sound for the Coyote, or if maybe there was a TSB about it and it is an issue.
It sounds like an idling diesel engine where there are some very rhythmic knocking sounds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the main video:

And here's a second one:

Note: it's harder to hear on video than in person due to the multitude of other engine sounds, but the one in question is that louder and bassier clicking, not the white noise in the background.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Sounds like the DI pump to me. The pump is on the passenger side valve cover. It sticks up a bit and is covered in foam. The passenger side exhaust camshaft is connected to it. That's why you won't hear it on the other side. There's also a sound similar to, what I'd describe as, a metal ball hitting the side of a glass jar. I have that sound too and think it's also just the pump. Both my old and new engine make it.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the DI pump to me. The pump is on the passenger side valve cover. It sticks up a bit and is covered in foam. The passenger side exhaust camshaft is connected to it. That's why you won't hear it on the other side. There's also a sound similar to, what I'd describe as, a metal ball hitting the side of a glass jar. I have that sound too and think it's also just the pump. Both my old and new engine make it.
Thanks for the info, good to know that it's a normal sound. At first I thought maybe cylinder 1 was misfiring because it sounded a little knocky, but I'm glad it's just the pump.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, good to know that it's a normal sound. At first I thought maybe cylinder 1 was misfiring because it sounded a little knocky, but I'm glad it's just the pump.
Yeah, I would say it's definitely the DI pump. It's mechanical and makes noise.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
DI pump.

I'm continually astounded by how the 5.0 in my new truck clatters versus that of my '15 Mustang. Very diesel-ish.

Sponsored
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
DI pump.

I'm continually astounded by how the 5.0 in my new truck clatters versus that of my '15 Mustang. Very diesel-ish.
Yeah the pump is very loud lol. I didn't know that the DI pump was making that noise, but I did know that it was one of the sounds of the new coyote. It's kind of embarrassing at times because I have to explain to people that it's normally this loud and it's not just broken.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
There happens to be a TSB for this -

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
5.0L - Engine Knock Type Noise At Idle
19-2144
09 May 2019

Model:

Ford
2018-2019 F-150
2018-2019 Mustang

Issue: Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a light to moderate knocking type noise at idle (600-700 RPM) that is sometimes described as a quiet diesel type sound. The noise is usually more prominent on the passenger side of the vehicle toward the rear of the engine. As the engine comes up to operating temperature, the noise level increases slightly. This noise is not detrimental to engine function and has no short or long term effects on engine durability. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

Action: Refer to the Service Procedure for vehicles that meet the following criteria:

• 2018-2019 F-150/Mustang

• 5.0L engine

• Light or moderate knocking type noise at idle

Warranty Status: Information Only.

Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part: IN
Condition Code: 42

Service Information

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
There happens to be a TSB for this
Thank you for the info. This is good to hear, though I wish Ford would actually say that causes it in their TSB's (same with when they said the typewriter tick was normal), but at least it is noted and said to be normal.
Sponsored