Sponsored

Gen 2 engine rebuild :( just new block and assembly?

Wheysted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt
Need to rebuild my gen 2 engine unfortunately :/ if I were to buy a new short block and the full rotating assembly(looking at MMR with forged rods/pistons), is that all I'd need? Can I use anything from my old short block? ( Has ringland failure )
Or what else would I need?

I was quoted 6k to have the machine shop do the minimum to fix it which seems a little steep

Thanks.. any info is appreciated
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Need to rebuild my gen 2 engine unfortunately :/ if I were to buy a new short block and the full rotating assembly(looking at MMR with forged rods/pistons), is that all I'd need? Can I use anything from my old short block? ( Has ringland failure )

I was quoted 6k to have the machine shop do the minimum to fix it which seems a little steep

Absolutely do not go anywhere near MMR for a short block ever. You probably just need pistons a hone and clean everything up. But if you are wanting to install a new stock or close to it just get a gen3 shortblock. They cost $1800,00 at most dealerships. All your parts will fit like heads intake oil pan timing system all you need is gen1 or 3 head bolts and oil cooler and you are good. Use gen2 gaskets If you want a built engine P.M me. But don’t go to MMR unless you want to be doing this again in 3 months

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

All you should need to purchase is rods, pistons, bearings and gaskets. I would do Mahle 4032 pistons for a street car because they have less expansion so they don’t rattle on start up. I would do compstar connecting rods Because they have stronger caps than other forged rods for the same price the bearings are a tossup i use half racing bearings and half stock. Your block should be fine to reuse. Your crankshaft should be fine to reuse

OP
OP

Wheysted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt
Alright that's really good to know :) I'm gonna have a different machine shop look at the block and see if they can re use it

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible

Where in Canada are you?

What shop did you get the quote from? I’m in Ontario...

$6000 seems a little expensive. Of course though, I was quoted $5700 today for headers and install lol.

OP
OP

Wheysted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt
Where in Canada are you?

What shop did you get the quote from? I’m in Ontario...

$6000 seems a little expensive. Of course though, I was quoted $5700 today for headers and install lol.
It was steeda. And yea based on other shops and what everyone else has told me.. it should be much cheaper. And wow 5700 for headers and install is ridiculous. Even with kooks headers being 3k Canadian on the High end- install is only $800 at a lot of places

OP
OP

Wheysted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt
So worst case they have to change two sleeves That’s like $250 here in California that includes install the new sleeve and Boring it out to match
Yea I think I'll bring the block to another machine shop and see what they can do.. then I guess best bet is to have them install a new assembly and re use my heads/timing etc

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
No offense, not a fan of Steeda!!! Everything they have ever priced for me was 35% more than anywhere else. Note the header quote...

Clear shot Customs in Brantford maybe for your engine. Or maybe give Arun a shout at CC Performance ( I know - Chevy guy). Friend of mine. Honest and upfront. Worth a shot. He knows performance and speed!

OP
OP

Wheysted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt
No offense, not a fan of Steeda!!! Everything they have ever priced for me was 35% more than anywhere else. Note the header quote...

Clear shot Customs in Brantford maybe for your engine. Or maybe give Arun a shout at CC Performance ( I know - Chevy guy). Friend of mine. Honest and upfront. Worth a shot. He knows performance and speed!
Aha I actually talked to clear shot today ! Actually really nice and were reasonable. I was also recommend cc performance- I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say :) thank you

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
How or why do you think the motor broke? Any details on that story would be appreciated.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Aha I actually talked to clear shot today ! Actually really nice and were reasonable. I was also recommend cc performance- I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say :) thank you
Tucker at Clear Shot is a good guy. If Arun at CC Performance will do it, I would have absolute confidence with him. Been friends since racing Fox bodies many many years ago. He’s a corvette / Chevy guy but still does lots of work on mustangs.
Good luck! Let me know how you make out!
Sponsored