Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
I have tuned different fuels all over the world, there a huge difference brand to brand, and even station to station (same brand). Valero surprisingly enough has been the most consistent fuel to date, followed by BP and Sunoco.

There is a customer of mine I was E-tuning down in Texas and he filled up at a grocery store chain (forgot the name) and it was the best pump gas 93oct I have ever tuned, it was insane the amount of timing it took.

However, I have tuned some 93oct that was worse than CA 91oct. Pretty crazy.

Shell was never on my top list, I would try to find a BP/Exxon in your area.
Sponsored

OP
OP

kosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost
well i have valero/bp/exxon/sunnoco/shell but used shell alot and herd it from few people alredy that their gas aint to good for tunned cars to the edge i try dif gas station and see how it looks like when i log it

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Locally within about a 60 mile radius, I've tried every brand of gasoline over multiple stations. In my experience, Shell and BP has given me noticeably more knock than Valero, Exxon, Sunoco, or Marathon. As Adam mentioned, Valero seems to be consistently good across multiple stations. Exxon at one station is consistently good while it's poor at another. Sunoco has been consistently in the middle. I don't run Marathon a lot due to it being $0.30/gallon higher than even Valero, but it seems to be decent quality. There's a Mobil station about a hour from my house that's really good every time.

AngelOreo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JimmyG
Vehicle(s)
2015 - Ecoboost Premium - 6mt - Deep Impact
Sunoco\Valero are my preferences.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
I always use shell in my car because of the detergents. With the direct injected engine I'm more concerned with my valves so I want to stick with good quality gas.

Sponsored

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
Direct injection doesn't hit the stem area of the valves. I've been a dealer vw/hyundai tech for 10 years. Valves get coated and ports get clogged to shit within 10k on a lot of DI platforms. Oddly enough, my mazdaspeed3 after 80k looked waaaayyy cleaner. That was a ford-ish engine, fingers crossed it follows suit. Your gas won't have an effect on cleaning where the issue lies.

thxultra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 2016 Mercedes C300
Direct injection doesn't hit the stem area of the valves. I've been a dealer vw/hyundai tech for 10 years. Valves get coated and ports get clogged to shit within 10k on a lot of DI platforms. Oddly enough, my mazdaspeed3 after 80k looked waaaayyy cleaner. That was a ford-ish engine, fingers crossed it follows suit. Your gas won't have an effect on cleaning where the issue lies.
I have heard this also, but when my friend brought there cough "camaro" in they said there valves were gunked up due to bad gas. That car is direct injected also... This is one of my biggest concerns with this car is the ports getting clogged as I heard this is a issue with direct injected engines...

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Don't forget to look into how much premium gas the station sells. If you've got 10% ethanol soaking up moisture in metal tanks that sit for weeks and weeks, that fuel is going to get pretty nasty. Look into how often they check/maintain their systems as well. There are some shady stations near me and some nice ones, so you have to pick and chose. I've had to get the base gas stations reported for a few tanks I've bought in my other cars.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
Kroger :D

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have run nothing but 87 in mine since the day I bought it and have no issues with performance or operation. 93 is not required.

Now before I hear all the performance reasons why 93 is recommended I will tell you that in my daily drive cycle of stop and go commuting I already have about 140 more HP than I can use.

In my motorcycles I run 93 because 93 is recommended as the minimum fuel. I have no clue what owners in places that only have 91 do. If I fill up the 5 gallons needed at a station with just a single hose I get a lot of spark knock. I have to seek out the dedicated hose type station to fill up without getting the ping. This is not the case with the EB, no issues with 87.
Sponsored