Sponsored

Full detailing steps

hedonest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition orange 2015 GT
I was wondering if all the steps need to be done simultaneously or can be split over a period of days. e.g. doing wash/clay/polish one weekend followed by wash, paint sealant & carnauba wax the next weekend.
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering if all the steps need to be done simultaneously or can be split over a period of days. e.g. doing wash/clay/polish one weekend followed by wash, paint sealant & carnauba wax the next weekend.
Once you clay/polish, your paint will be exposed to the elements. If you wash/clay/polish and then store the car in the garage until phase 2 of the detail, you should be good to go!

Like you said in your second step, make sure you wash the car again before the paint sealant and wax (your car will most likely be covered with a light dust film).

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I washed my car on a Friday and parked it in the garage overnight, then glazed and waxed the next day, and it was fine. Though I did spray it off beforehand and redried before starting on the glaze.

vinnie_febs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In The Works
So I purchased my CO a week ago and I want to start with a good base. Planning on doing the following:

Wash -> Chemical Guys Clay (blue bar) -> Rejex (61001) -> Liquid Wax

Does this sound about right? Do I need to polish after the clay process for best results? or not necessary? Car will be garage kept most of the time. Thanks!

Last edited:

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Hey vinni,

If you are serious about exterior care, CarPro is a good line of products. If I were you, I would look into a ceramic coating. There are a lot of different types with different claims from the manufactures on what their coating does well. A lot of people are very open with suggestions on why there's is better than others. I listened, did my own research and used what people were saying to add to my research. I suggest you do the same. Think about what you want to get out of exterior car care, and go for it.

if you are keeping your car garaged most of the time, if that means not driving it, sounds good. I would suggest investing in a good quality car cover as well to help keep the dust off.

If it's garage kept and a daily driver like mine, I would suggest reading up a bit more on your options and selecting a maintenance plan that fits your lifestyle and interests. The plan that fits you, definitely exists. You just need to educate yourself a bit. Reading this forum is a great start. You found CG. Next should be auto geek. Great forum there as well. The people in that forum sound like pros. Their thoughts and advice is great.

Lots of YouTube videos about detailing with examples. All good entertainment and education. sounds like a lot. I think you might be better off in the end for it. If you want someone to provide their recipe, I'm sure they will. It's your car, your call and your time. Enjoy yourself with what you decide to do. I recommend reviewing the chart some one posted earlier and following it. It is good detailing logic.

After applying a good wax, I do love to sit in the garage during a nice storm, opening the garage door, pull out a lawn chair and drink a Pepsi while I watch the water bead up and roll off.

Have fun!

vinnie_febs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In The Works
Sounds like a plan, thanks! I already bought the CG claybar kit, and I have the Rejex coming this way this week. I will start with that, and see how I like them, I might try the carpro products next time around. For Waxing, I already have the ICE wax with me (what I used on my sportsbike), so I'll use that for now while I do more research on that.
Sponsored