Sponsored

Full detailing steps

AndyLifts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6 05A1
Just wondering what the full steps were to make your paint look new again. Is it wash, dry, clay bar, paint sealant, wax?
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
If you just want to give it a good wash and wax, then yes, the wash/dry/clay bar/wax sequence would be a good way to go about it.

If your paint is has a lot of swirl marks, you will need paint correction to achieve 'as new' or 'better than new' appearance to the paint.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Its actually wash, dry, clay bar, polish, wax... you can get away without doing the clay bar or polish if your paint is in good condition.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure you can clay bar the car after the wash process, while the car is still wet. You still have to use a dedicated clay lubricant though, but this should still save you some time.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
I'm pretty sure you can clay bar the car after the wash process, while the car is still wet. You still have to use a dedicated clay lubricant though, but this should still save you some time.
Yeah, you're basically wasting your time and hurting yourself even more by drying before Clay. The additional water already sitting on the car will help you with the lubricant you spray.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Paint Sealant
--(Some Sealants/Waxs Recommend Curing Times)--
Wax
Spray Sealant (If that Sealant/Wax Calls for a certain one)

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Yeah, you're basically wasting your time and hurting yourself even more by drying before Clay. The additional water already sitting on the car will help you with the lubricant you spray.

Wash
Clay
Polish
Paint Sealant
--(Some Sealants/Waxs Recommend Curing Times)--
Wax
Spray Sealant (If that Sealant/Wax Calls for a certain one)
My steps are similar - but depend upon where in the life of the car I am.

Every 6 mos gets (including 1st wash) - Wash, clay, wash, dry, machine paint sealant 2x, wax

Dirty car (pretty much weekly for me) - Wash, dry

Monthly - Wash, Spray Sealant, Dry, Wax

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
My steps are similar - but depend upon where in the life of the car I am.

Every 6 mos gets (including 1st wash) - Wash, clay, wash, dry, machine paint sealant 2x, wax

Dirty car (pretty much weekly for me) - Wash, dry

Monthly - Wash, Spray Sealant, Dry, Wax
Only thing that sticks out to me, is that you shouldn't really NEED to wash after a clay. If you are using a good QD as lubricant for the clay, then you should be wiping off any excess QD left behind after you finished claying that panel.

Not saying you're method is wrong by any means, everybody's different, just throwing that out there. :cheers:

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Everyone has different ways to do it.

As Comp05.slow mentioned, you don't have to dry before claying.

Personally I just use my leaf blower to move the majority of the water then use QD spray as I go over each panel with the clay bar.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn't have any special spray for claying, so I just mixed some of my car wash soap in a squirt bottle. Worked great.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Only thing that sticks out to me, is that you shouldn't really NEED to wash after a clay. If you are using a good QD as lubricant for the clay, then you should be wiping off any excess QD left behind after you finished claying that panel.

Not saying you're method is wrong by any means, everybody's different, just throwing that out there. :cheers:
You are right - I just want to be 100% sure that the car is CLEAN before I hit it with the machine applied paint sealant (I use Adams Paint Sealant and and a Porter Cable buffer to apply) ....just me being OCD. :doh:

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
You can save yourself one step by using the 'hand in a baggy' test. After the car is dry after a washing...put your hand in a Baggy (the thinner the plastic bag the better) and gently swipe your finger tips over a few random spots. If you feel 'bumps'...it's time to clay bar the car again. Don't forget to use clay bar lubricant.
My Mustang's clay bar/wax job lasted about six weeks before I started to feel the bumps again. The next time the prep lasted two months. Saved a lot of clay barring time.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
+1 to Schu's diagram. I printed that chart out and put in my garage. I get that question and it's easy to discuss with pictures. (I like pictures!)

I like BTR75's suggestion of the polishing mitts to replace actual clay. I use a simaler product I can apply to my polisher and clay the entire car in ~20 minutes.

Those are the steps, but just following them without good technique won't get what you want. For technique, there are books, but a real nice way to make sure you are doing it right, the chemical guys have a video for just about every product. It is fantastic to see it done properly. Again, I like pictures! Some of the top detailers are making videos and posting on utube. Watching them and having those guys explain a process is really nice as well.

I have been detailing semi-serious since I bought my first polisher (a GEM orbital) back in 1987. The polisher is still in my arsenal. I just don't have the guns to use it on the sides of cars anymore.
Sponsored