Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Lucky you. That's about CDN$0.87 per litre for 87. When I was out and about last night, I saw prices in and around CDN$1.15 per litre. In round figures that's about 25% cheaper. The other thing I have to watch is the differential between the 87 price and 91. I know in many areas of the US the stations have the price of all grades on the pylon sign. Here we only show the price for 87. The typical price difference to 91 at the Mobil station I usually use is around $0.18 but I have pulled into other stations showing a cheap price for 87 with $0.25-0.27 extra for 91. I think they figure if you've pulled in and gotten out of the car you'll fill up anyway. So now I pull past the first pump slowly and look at the pump prices and if the difference is too much, I just pull out and don't fuel.
Gas prices are so strange. I guess we pay less for 87 here in south east cause we get stuck on 93. I have seen lots people post "well 87 to 93/91 isn't that much so why not" But here its as much as a dollar difference 97 to 93. Its a 16 dollar per tank difference and why I am so typically against premium. Here anyway it's just not worth the price difference for the little bit, if any, of performance difference. It's Not uncommon to see 87 at 2.20 to 2.35 a gallon here. And with a loyalty card I also get 10 cents a gallon off every fill up.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Gas prices are so strange. I guess we pay less for 87 here in south east cause we get stuck on 93. I have seen lots people post "well 87 to 93/91 isn't that much so why not" But here its as much as a dollar difference 97 to 93. Its a 16 dollar per tank difference and why I am so typically against premium. Here anyway it's just not worth the price difference for the little bit, if any, of performance difference. It's Not uncommon to see 87 at 2.20 to 2.35 a gallon here. And with a loyalty card I also get 10 cents a gallon off every fill up.
Just checked Gas Buddy as I need to fill up today. Costco is $2.16 for 87 and $2.69 for 93 (both top tier). So $0.53 a gallon difference. I’ll probably take around 13 gallons so an additional $6-7 dollars. So four Costco hot dogs.

I only fill up a couple of times a month so what do I do? I’ve never put anything but 91/93 in either of my Mustang’s. I’m not about to change today!! :like::clap::)

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
wel there are plenty of websites and forums explaining what you are talkign about and they all say the same thing. using fuel lower than that what is required will cause knock and cause the system to over compensate. but the one fact EVERYONE elects to ignore is the owner's manual with a big old stamp says design for 87. These same sites will also tell you that using octane ratings over the required...NOT recommended but required is a WASTE of money. I find it interesting the power of popular perceptions. There is literally thousands of websites telling you gas is all the same for everywhere from every manufacturer in fact most gas is held in comunal tanks before delivery to separate vendors. yet peopel will swear there are differences in gas by maker. Only differences are additives the gas itself is all exactly the same quality. There is also an equal amount of studies, website, forums all saying engines made to run 87 get zero benefit form running higher octane fuels yet people swear that is also not true. The whole top tier fuel and recommended fuels thing is all marketing backed by gas companies and auto makers in bed together. If you look at a list of top tier fuel sellers it's basically them all. believe what ya want I'm not really arguing with you. I am just passionate about people not wasting money as these companies already get enough of our hard earned money. Matter of fact it only takes a quick google search of is premium any better and you would be hard pressed to find a website that says yes... so not sure why people still hang on to this idea. The info is out there and not exactly hard to find. Now info supporting its better is actually hard to find. 91/93 is for cars that require it like high compression force induction cars. But big v8 NA cars don't need or benefit form it in stock form. But again not here arguing and I swear :) I just like to see people keep their money on things that simply aren't worth it or do nothing.
So what is the threshold for high compression? I would say a Mustang GT with Gen 3 Coyote which has 12:1 compression is a high compression engine and does benefit from the higher octane gasoline

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So what is the threshold for high compression? I would say a Mustang GT with Gen 3 Coyote which has 12:1 compression is a high compression engine and does benefit from the higher octane gasoline
You are correct. 12:1 is certainly considered to be high compression but it not the same as Hi-Comp engines of the past. EMS prevent the type of damage we would have incurred if we tried using regular gas in our old hot rods. And you are also right about the Coyote "benefiting" from High Octane. We all agree and Ford has already said that. Where the constant argument comes in is whether regular 87 will harm your Coyote. The answer in day to day driving is no. If you're balls to the wall at all times the Coyote would certainly appreciate 91/93.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0