Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Racer in need!
I'm looking for a part number or a vendor that offers the Fuel Pump Locking Ring Tool.
Yes I know, you can use a pin and hammer to spin it off, I've had my pump out 3 times to date, and this is how I've done it each time.
I want the proper tool to be able to change the pump quickly, like between rounds if needed.
At my age, and thin blood, changing the fuel pump quickly, in the dark in a cramped space, becomes dangerous and bloody.
I have spent the last 2 days on the internet and driving to parts stores, with no success.
So if anyone can direct me to obtain one, I'd be tickled!
Below is more than likely what the tool will look like. There are 7 notches in our ring, so the universal/straight across 2 prong will NOT work, we need a 3 prong type.
The one pictured below measures 9.3" across, our Lock Ring is only 7-1/4" across.
Fuel Pump Lock Ring Tool.jpg
Fuel Pump Lock Ring.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Curious why you would need to access the fuel pump so often?

Anyway, hope you find the tool!
At the recent NMRA Atlanta True Street event, I ran a 10.987, 10.990 on the 3rd pass all I needed to do was slow to a 11.023 to win the 11 second bracket, see the results below, and in the end I didn't need to slow down at all, and I would have won the 10 second bracket. But on the 3rd pass the fuel pump said were're done!
I prepare myself pretty well, and when a deficiency arises. I look to be prepared for it again, if I had a spare fuel pump and this tool, I could have changed the fuel pump in the lanes in less than 5 minutes. Rest assured a spare pump & tool will always be with me in the future.
When traveling the country you run across bad gas eventually, this has been another reason I had to remove the pump and drain the tank with a manual pump and to insect the tank.
True Street Atlanta 2017.jpg
Stock pump failure.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Found it cheaper at other sites, but you want tool 310-123 or comparable.
I ordered it today, should be here Friday. THANKS!!!:headbang:

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
in the amount of time and effort in swapping out fuel pumps, you could have just bought a fuel system.......

and we had to pull the pump twice when i replaced my defective one. left one of the clips in the tank. screwdriver and hammer arent that difficult.

OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
in the amount of time and effort in swapping out fuel pumps, you could have just bought a fuel system.......

and we had to pull the pump twice when i replaced my defective one. left one of the clips in the tank. screwdriver and hammer arent that difficult.
I agree, but I'm holding on to the title of Fastest N/A stock long block, and I want to carry my combo/tune thru to this winter to see if I can lower that time, based on mechanical changes and not having to workout a new tune. Old racers are not quick to mess with successful combos, us old guys are quirky.

Not everything I do is cost effective. The stock pumps are less than $100, 1/10th the price of a fuel system.
Keep in mind with the spare pump & "tool" I'll be able to change the pump in less than 5 minutes with no assistance, between rounds, hopefully it will never need to be done, and I will have a spare for a fellow racer, who may be 500+ miles from home on a Sunday, with a wife & kids.

Once this winter passes, I will do upgrades to the cams, fuel system and more, then start the tuning process over again.

I agree it can be done with a hammer & pin or screwdriver, but it's not as easy as a Fox Body that has ears sticking up, and keep in mind I'm older and just came off a bilateral hernia surgery, I can't do the things I use to, like build and race a SBF N/A with a LENCO 5 spd. that ran in the 8's, those days are past me now.

I really do appreciate you directing me to that tool, and Freedom Racing, that place has a lot of neat tools, I will be shopping there again. :headbang:

OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
HUGE Thanks Plimmer!!

Found it cheaper at other sites, but you want tool 310-123 or comparable.
Finally got the tool! It was everything I hoped for! Here's a video showing the ease of removing the fuel pump lock ring.

Thank you Plimmer for the hook up!!:headbang:

[ame]

2qwk4ya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 401a, auto
Racer in need!
I'm looking for a part number or a vendor that offers the Fuel Pump Locking Ring Tool.
Yes I know, you can use a pin and hammer to spin it off, I've had my pump out 3 times to date, and this is how I've done it each time.
I want the proper tool to be able to change the pump quickly, like between rounds if needed.
At my age, and thin blood, changing the fuel pump quickly, in the dark in a cramped space, becomes dangerous and bloody.
I have spent the last 2 days on the internet and driving to parts stores, with no success.
So if anyone can direct me to obtain one, I'd be tickled!
Below is more than likely what the tool will look like. There are 7 notches in our ring, so the universal/straight across 2 prong will NOT work, we need a 3 prong type.
The one pictured below measures 9.3" across, our Lock Ring is only 7-1/4" across.
Post #1 Pic did not come through Link below

RBS550,

The OTC 6599 is the correct tool.

That is what I have and use. Works Great!

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Oh well, Nice video by the way.

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-...ntid=OTC6599&gclid=CLjQ06WvwNMCFQMGaQod4kUMZw

Last edited:
OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Post #1 Pic did not come through Link below

RBS550,

The OTC 6599 is the correct tool.

That is what I have and use. Works Great!

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Oh well, Nice video by the way.

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-...ntid=OTC6599&gclid=CLjQ06WvwNMCFQMGaQod4kUMZw

Thanks, this is still good info to know, I looked into this one but when I called about it, they said it was 9.3" across, obviously I was given incorrect info. I appreciate you letting me know it's the correct one. :thumbsup:
Sponsored