nextstep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Renato
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Hi all,

I've been reading posts with fuel gauge going to 0 and low fuel alarm popping. Has anyone resolved their problem?

I have problem with my gauge going to 0 randomly. It happens on ignition or during driving. All would be normal and suddenly the low fuel alarm would pop up and fuel gauge would be at 0. I would shut the car down and restart and all normal.
Checked the connector on the fuel pump/sender unit. Took it out and sprayed contact cleaner with no results. The sender reads about 150 ohms on half tank and according to repair manual it is correct. The sender wires go directly (through two connectors, didn't check them yet) to gauge cluster. I'm afraid there is something wrong with the cluster.

Thanks,
Renato
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Never heard anyone else report this issue, so it's probably a rare case. Definitely sounds like some type of intermittent electrical issue. If it keeps happening, should probably let the dealership check it out.

OP
OP

nextstep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Renato
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Not a common problem definitely, I know of two posts with similar issue. One just PM me that he still has the problem.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was having that issue over the course of May(Deployed now). Happened about once a week. The fuel gauge needle would either be completely empty or pegged way past fuel, touching the speedodometer. DTE was still reading accurately. I would just turn the car off and on and it'd work again. I just didn't have time to go to the dealer. Plus I'm sure I'll have to fight off the fact that I'm supercharged lol. Keep this post updated if you get it fixed, please!

Sponsored

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
I'm out of fuel with 1/8 tank and 30 miles to E. When I fill it up it only takes 13.7 gallons. Dealer changed the fuel level sensors, checked the fuel balance tubes and it still does it. Wierd...

OP
OP

nextstep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Renato
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Finally fixed the problem!

It turned out to be the drivers side fuel sender. This car has two fuel senders that go in to the gauge cluster and gets averaged. If there is a loos of one signal for more than 30 seconds the gauge goes to Empty and I get a low fuel warning. Because it was intermittent it was driving me crazy. I got a clue when I filled up to the top and my gas gauge showed 1/2 full. Unplugged both sensors and check resistance. Passenger was around 14 Ohm and drivers was 119 Ohm. It should be around 10 Ohms at full and 180 Ohms at empty. Siphoned out some gas to be able to take the fuel pump out (sensor is part of fuel pump assembly) and replaced with new sensor. Put everything back and it has been working since.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Finally fixed the problem!

It turned out to be the drivers side fuel sender. This car has two fuel senders that go in to the gauge cluster and gets averaged. If there is a loos of one signal for more than 30 seconds the gauge goes to Empty and I get a low fuel warning. Because it was intermittent it was driving me crazy. I got a clue when I filled up to the top and my gas gauge showed 1/2 full. Unplugged both sensors and check resistance. Passenger was around 14 Ohm and drivers was 119 Ohm. It should be around 10 Ohms at full and 180 Ohms at empty. Siphoned out some gas to be able to take the fuel pump out (sensor is part of fuel pump assembly) and replaced with new sensor. Put everything back and it has been working since.
Nice work!!

Did you pay for the part yourself instead of having it warrantied by the dealer?

OP
OP

nextstep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Renato
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Thanks!

Paid $35 for the part, new.
No warranty on the car because I purchased it salvaged and repaired it.
Sponsored