Sponsored

FRPP Sport Catback. Is it worth the risk?

asvega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2016 Shelby GT350
So just yesterday on YouTube I saw a video of 2015 GT with a Ford Racing Exhaust, and it was most likely the sport exhaust because it was loud. We'll anyways I loved the sound and I would hope on getting that specific catback. I live in California but that exhaust is illegal in California because of drive by noise :( If I do get a hold of this exhaust what's the risk in getting pulled over by a cop? I have a Borla S type catback exhaust on my 2012 GT and it's loud but I don't know how much louder the FRPP sport catback is in comparison.
Sponsored

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
So just yesterday on YouTube I saw a video of 2015 GT with a Ford Racing Exhaust, and it was most likely the sport exhaust because it was loud. We'll anyways I loved the sound and I would hope on getting that specific catback. I live in California but that exhaust is illegal in California because of drive by noise :( If I do get a hold of this exhaust what's the risk in getting pulled over by a cop? I have a Borla S type catback exhaust on my 2012 GT and it's loud but I don't know how much louder the FRPP sport catback is in comparison.
The Borla "S-Type" is usually very similar if not the same as the Ford Racing "Sport" in regard to design and sound.

I am not aware of how the noise level requirements are enforced in your area so the choice is yours. The Touring will be milder in tone and is 50 state legal so that would be the safer route.

We offer both at 10% off using discount code m6gto10.

2015 Mustang GT Performance Exhausts

OP
OP
asvega

asvega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the link to the video I saw yesterday [ame]

Sponsored

OrlandoJJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Fastback Premium
If they don't ticket all the Harleys with straight pipes, I'm sure you're safe.

OP
OP
asvega

asvega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that's true. I've seen quite a few Harley's around town with really loud exhausts.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
your attitude when you get pulled over goes a long way with the po.

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
it has a hint of rasp in it. the borala S type have a more mellow sound to them.

Sponsored

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I wouldn't worry as long as you're not going open throttle, speeding past a cop.

MikeSVTGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GTCS, 2015 LE #399
this exhaust does not sound like the Borla "S" type that is on my 2011 GTCS, I will wait for Borla to release the "S" type cat back for the 2015. The FRPP Sport catback sounds to raspy.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
I think you'll be ok.

There are 2 sets of laws in California regarding exhaust. Any police officer can give you a ticket for exhaust greater than 95dB. While stationed in Cali I carried a copy of that law in my car. (It actually changed from 92 to 95 while I was there). Told the police respectfully that I understood the law and bought a street legal exhaust with less than 95 dB rating. Which was true. Luckily, I was never asked for proof of manufacture's claims or anything other than "just checking to see if you were aware... blahh". Second law in California applies only to Highway Patrol, CHiPs :) They are allowed to give a ticket for modified vehicle. Any modification from OEM. They will only use this "power" if you're an a-hole. But be aware of it. Because even if the exhaust is under 95dB, they can technically give you a ticket. No worries, even if you're having a bad day and piss them off. I'm sure the judge would drop it, if you bring pictures and say it's your hobby and mostly for looks.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fac...ehicle_Exhaust_Noise_Level_Certification.html

If you want to preform the test. Wish companies would do it before sell them. Anyway, here is the standard.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.
noise_test.gif

OP
OP
asvega

asvega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you'll be ok.

There are 2 sets of laws in California regarding exhaust. Any police officer can give you a ticket for exhaust greater than 95dB. While stationed in Cali I carried a copy of that law in my car. (It actually changed from 92 to 95 while I was there). Told the police respectfully that I understood the law and bought a street legal exhaust with less than 95 dB rating. Which was true. Luckily, I was never asked for proof of manufacture's claims or anything other than "just checking to see if you were aware... blahh". Second law in California applies only to Highway Patrol, CHiPs :) They are allowed to give a ticket for modified vehicle. Any modification from OEM. They will only use this "power" if you're an a-hole. But be aware of it. Because even if the exhaust is under 95dB, they can technically give you a ticket. No worries, even if you're having a bad day and piss them off. I'm sure the judge would drop it, if you bring pictures and say it's your hobby and mostly for looks.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fac...ehicle_Exhaust_Noise_Level_Certification.html

If you want to preform the test. Wish companies would do it before sell them. Anyway, here is the standard.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.
Thanks, this was helpful!

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I've had bikes and classic Mustangs with louder pipes. Just be reasonable and don't rev it in quiet neighborhoods. You shouldn't be bothered by our boys in blue. If you are pulled over, be polite and cooperative with the officer. It's all about attitude with most officers.
Sponsored