Sponsored

Front Plate Mounting Location (2020 GT w/PP)

LarryinMA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Convertible w/ Perf Pkg
Not running a front plate isn't an option. Massachusetts won't even pass you at inspection if you temporarily zip tie it to the grille (it has to be screwed into a permanent bracket).

My car is lowered, and I already have scraping issues going into my driveway, so mounting anything under the spoiler also isn't an option.

Craig's mounting bracket ( https://ccmustangbrackets.com/) was perfect for my 2017 Mustang (GT w/PP). There was plenty of depth under the bumper ahead of the lower grille for the adhesive mounting plate.

I bought another Craig's mounting bracket for my 2020 (GT w/PP), but I didn't realize how little depth there is on the underside of the front bumper ahead the lower grille - not enough space for Craig's mounting plate.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any alternate locations you've used for the Craig's mounting bracket? Looking for solutions! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I mounted my plate to the lower grille using one of the mounts from SlyBrackets. My 2018 has Bullitt grilles, so you may need the bracket for slats instead of honeycomb style.

I don't actually have a picture of the car with the plate mounted, but I can take one tomorrow if you're interested.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
i Would buy a new bumper cover, put the plate on it and remove and install every time inspection is due. You wonā€™t even have to paint it.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sto N Sho makes one specifically for the PP cars. CJPP sells them as Iā€™m sure others do as well.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not running a front plate isn't an option. Massachusetts won't even pass you at inspection if you temporarily zip tie it to the grille (it has to be screwed into a permanent bracket).
I've been passing inspections in Mass for 14 years with taped on plates and noone has ever said anything about it. I just used double sided tape, or duct tape rolled in a circle so it stick to the back and they don't see it.

Where in central Mass are you? I have a couple places nearby that I know won't give you trouble for it if you want to PM me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LarryinMA

LarryinMA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I mounted my plate to the lower grille using one of the mounts from SlyBrackets. My 2018 has Bullitt grilles, so you may need the bracket for slats instead of honeycomb style.

I don't actually have a picture of the car with the plate mounted, but I can take one tomorrow if you're interested.
Thanks for the info, @thompsje!! If you could upload a photo showing how your's is mounted, that would be awesome!

I checked out the slybrackets website, and I think it may work. The honeycomb spaces are large enough (a 6mm by 12mm rectangle is required to fit in the honeycomb opening. I'll check that tomorrow when it isn't raining.

Thanks again for pointing me to slybrackets!!

OP
OP
LarryinMA

LarryinMA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Sto N Sho makes one specifically for the PP cars. CJPP sells them as Iā€™m sure others do as well.
Thanks for the info, @MAGS1. I watched the install video on CJPP, and it's easy enough, but my driveway comes off the road at a steep enough angle that the spoiler already scrapes unless I go stupidly slow. Unfortunately, anything mounted underneath won't be there very long. šŸ˜§

OP
OP
LarryinMA

LarryinMA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I've been passing inspections in Mass for 14 years with taped on plates and noone has ever said anything about it. I just used double sided tape, or duct tape rolled in a circle so it stick to the back and they don't see it.

Where in central Mass are you? I have a couple places nearby that I know won't give you trouble for it if you want to PM me.
Thanks for the info, @EFI. Ever since MassDOT started requiring inspection shops to have cameras so they could watch the inspectors, and they have to take photos of the front and back plates on the car, the shops I've gone to are "by the book."

Maybe it's just my experience with these shops...on my daily driver, they said I have to order new plates because my 7-year-old plates didn't pass the "reflectivity test." I have an original Euro license plate bracket on my Land Rover, so the license plate holes don't line up - I used zip ties, and they had a problem with that too.

Besides, with a race red Mustang GT and loud exhaust, I'm not interested in attracting any more attention than I already do! šŸ˜¬

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the info, @thompsje!! If you could upload a photo showing how your's is mounted, that would be awesome!

I checked out the slybrackets website, and I think it may work. The honeycomb spaces are large enough (a 6mm by 12mm rectangle is required to fit in the honeycomb opening. I'll check that tomorrow when it isn't raining.

Thanks again for pointing me to slybrackets!!
Yeah, quite the difference between the weather yesterday and today. Here are 2 pics to show how I mounted the plate. First, the one for the general position.

sly-2.png

And this is a bit of detail for how I mounted the bracket. Since the Bullitt grilles aren't honeycombed all the way across/down, I needed to drill and file two of the filled hexagons to let the bracket arms pass through. It's invisible when the plate is mounted, and you would have to get down on your hands and knees and inspect every gap to see which 2 aren't factory. I think I used a 3/8" drill bit and a large round file.

sly-1.png

I probably could have avoided drilling/modifying anything at all, but I wanted the plate mounted as low as possible.

Last edited:

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the info, @EFI. Ever since MassDOT started requiring inspection shops to have cameras so they could watch the inspectors, and they have to take photos of the front and back plates on the car, the shops I've gone to are "by the book."

Maybe it's just my experience with these shops...on my daily driver, they said I have to order new plates because my 7-year-old plates didn't pass the "reflectivity test." I have an original Euro license plate bracket on my Land Rover, so the license plate holes don't line up - I used zip ties, and they had a problem with that too.

Besides, with a race red Mustang GT and loud exhaust, I'm not interested in attracting any more attention than I already do! šŸ˜¬
Been through the same thing at my local shop. At first, they were fine about just about anything, then they passed a couple cars with loud exhausts and instead of the people just taking their lumps about it, they pitched a big fit about "inspection XYZ passed it, so I shouldn't have to pay the ticket". So, threatened with losing their inspection license, they're much more strict. I've been having my cars inspected there for 20+ years in the same town and they only let me slide on it a little bit because I'd just pay the fine and not say anything if it came to that.

Also, front plate work around... maybe. If you order a new front plate because it was "lost or stolen", you pay $10 for the plate and get a receipt good for 90 days which you can present in case you're pulled over to say that you have one on order. So for $40/year extra, you could try to run with no front plate. I did for the full 90 days when I just ordered a new plate to replace my smashed up old one (it was on the front of my previous car when I t-boned the kid who pulled out in front of me without looking). Never seemed to get a second look from the police, but like you say, I feel like I can be enough of a target to not give them any more reasons.

apex-1.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
LarryinMA

LarryinMA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, quite the difference between the weather yesterday and today. Here are 2 pics to show how I mounted the plate. First, the one for the general position.

sly-2.png

And this is a bit of detail for how I mounted the bracket. Since the Bullitt grilles aren't honeycombed all the way across/down, I needed to drill and file two of the filled hexagons to let the bracket arms pass through. It's invisible when the plate is mounted, and you would have to get down on your hands and knees and inspect every gap to see which 2 aren't factory. I think I used a 3/8" drill bit and a large round file.

sly-1.png

I probably could have avoided drilling/modifying anything at all, but I wanted the plate mounted as low as possible.
That photo is EXACTLY what I was looking for, @thompsje, thank you!!!

You also have the same grille as I do, so I can be confident it will fit there. PERFECT!

Thanks again for the help!!

OP
OP
LarryinMA

LarryinMA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Been through the same thing at my local shop. At first, they were fine about just about anything, then they passed a couple cars with loud exhausts and instead of the people just taking their lumps about it, they pitched a big fit about "inspection XYZ passed it, so I shouldn't have to pay the ticket". So, threatened with losing their inspection license, they're much more strict. I've been having my cars inspected there for 20+ years in the same town and they only let me slide on it a little bit because I'd just pay the fine and not say anything if it came to that.

Also, front plate work around... maybe. If you order a new front plate because it was "lost or stolen", you pay $10 for the plate and get a receipt good for 90 days which you can present in case you're pulled over to say that you have one on order. So for $40/year extra, you could try to run with no front plate. I did for the full 90 days when I just ordered a new plate to replace my smashed up old one (it was on the front of my previous car when I t-boned the kid who pulled out in front of me without looking). Never seemed to get a second look from the police, but like you say, I feel like I can be enough of a target to not give them any more reasons.

apex-1.png
To be honest, I'm fine running with a front license plate normally. One of the reasons I liked Craig's plate brackets is I could remove the bracket with one thumb screw easily for car shows and photos. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if I can't.
Sponsored