Front arm ball joint tool

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For those who have replaced their arms (like for ones with bearings), what tool did you use?

I got the tallest one (was like $50 too :mad:) I could find and I couldn't get it to span wide enough. I know there's a Ford tool for this, but it's crazy expensive to the point where it's no more money to pay someone to do it.

I tried to use this:
SPC Performance 37985 4-Way Ball Joint Separator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5KPACK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ktVRAb3Z5NKFC
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had about 3000 miles on my car before I did mines. The driver side, I was able to loosen the nut to the top and left it there. Got a wood block to sit under the arm so that it doesn't wobble. Got a sledge hammer and two whacks popped it out. The passenger side wouldn't budge. Gave up for the day, ordered the Ford special unicorn rainbow tool and popped it out 5 days later lol.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I had about 3000 miles on my car before I did mines. The driver side, I was able to loosen the nut to the top and left it there. Got a wood block to sit under the arm so that it doesn't wobble. Got a sledge hammer and two whacks popped it out. The passenger side wouldn't budge. Gave up for the day, ordered the Ford special unicorn rainbow tool and popped it out 5 days later lol.
Great lol. My first attempt last fall was very much like yours. Pickle forks and hammer, tried whacking it on the bare stud too.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Had a similar issue finding a reasonably priced tool for the job. Reached out to Tim @optimum_performace and his suggestion of hitting the side of the spindle with a mini sledge broke the stud free after a few whacks. No special tools needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Had a similar issue finding a reasonably priced tool for the job. Reached out to Tim @optimum_performace and his suggestion of hitting the side of the spindle with a mini sledge broke the stud free after a few whacks. No special tools needed.
A very good mechanic fiend showed me this trick years ago. It usually works very well.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. I'll give that a whack :lol:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Pickle fork wedged in really good (thus sacrificing the ball join in the OEM arm) and a jack on the handle of the pickle fork. BOOOM somabich popped out. Driver side was easy, passenger side is where I used every tool in the book before coming up with my cave man approach.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
If the one you bought can put decent pressure on it you can also use a hammer to "assist" it the rest of the way. Or wedge something with it to apply more pressure.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If the one you bought can put decent pressure on it you can also use a hammer to "assist" it the rest of the way. Or wedge something with it to apply more pressure.
If I could get it over the stud it would work. It just doesn't have enough span to get both under the ball side and over the stud end. They're very long, these Ford ones.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
I managed to get mine out with a 3lb sledge. I also found the passenger side to be a bit tighter, but after 3-5 minutes of on/off hammering I got it loose with no other tools. Sounds like I got lucky. Good luck!
Sponsored