Free maps update with every service

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was initially told at delivery of my Ranger in September last year that the updates for the Sync2 maps would cost around $160 and you ordered it online through the Ford website. The price is actually $199 if ordered online, then we heard about the updates at the dealer for $80 which was way more reasonable. We had a 7500km service done at the beginning of the year and not even asking about it at the service we get told we got a map upgrade at no cost when we picked it up, no explanation was given as to why we got the free upgrade. Good to hear they are now free from now on, I dont think I'd bother if I had to pay to get both the Ranger and Mustang updated each year.

As far as using the GPS goes it's nowhere near as easy or quick as using google maps on your phone. The system will only let you manually enter addresses if your moving under 30km/h otherwise you have to use voice commands at speeds greater than that. Most times you would set it before you leave but if your running late or your destination changes on the move it becomes frustrating quickly. The one thing it is handy for is letting you know of roadworks/traffic congestion, but only if your phone is connected and data enabled.

Cisco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tehanne
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue Ecoboost Fastback
free...ahh but only if you get the vehicle serviced at Ford..right? So still the $200-$300 for those of us who don't??

OP
OP

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
free...ahh but only if you get the vehicle serviced at Ford..right? So still the $200-$300 for those of us who don't??
Yup, only with servicing.

I'll continue to use Ford- free RACV Roadside assist, loan car, warranty and maps- tilt me in favour. YMMV

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Fastback GT MT PP
Anybody have updated maps?

Has anybody with SYNCH2 and their car for over a year, had its yearly service and received the free map update?. Mine had its first yearly service back in January, but the guys at the dealership, and the servicing paperwork made no mention of a map update. To be honest I didn't even think about it until just recently when travelling on a brand new section of highway, as I hardly ever need to use it. I can't find anything in the SYNCH system or on the SD card that tells me the date of the map data, only a number that is also on the SD Card itself. The number on the SD card is:
FM5T-19H449-KA
AU/NZ
K2
Googling this hasn't been much help. Can anybody in Australia or NZ that knows they have been given the update, tell me the code on their SD Card please.

My only other thought is to put the card into my PC and look at the dates on the files it contains.

Sponsored

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
Has anybody with SYNCH2 and their car for over a year, had its yearly service and received the free map update?. Mine had its first yearly service back in January, but the guys at the dealership, and the servicing paperwork made no mention of a map update. To be honest I didn't even think about it until just recently when travelling on a brand new section of highway, as I hardly ever need to use it. I can't find anything in the SYNCH system or on the SD card that tells me the date of the map data, only a number that is also on the SD Card itself. The number on the SD card is:
FM5T-19H449-KA
AU/NZ
K2
Googling this hasn't been much help. Can anybody in Australia or NZ that knows they have been given the update, tell me the code on their SD Card please.

My only other thought is to put the card into my PC and look at the dates on the files it contains.
When i got mine serviced in April, i got a sticker on the radio saying the maps were updated. Not sure if they actually are though, i didn't check any versions beforehand.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
When i got mine serviced in April
What was the 12 month service cost, Pete?

As quoted on the website?

How much of an upsell did you get on bogus extras?

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
What was the 12 month service cost, Pete?

As quoted on the website?

How much of an upsell did you get on bogus extras?
I think it was $435, but because i brought my own oil it was around $330.

No silly upselling of injector cleaning or anything else, i was quite happy about that.

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
Had my GT V8 serviced last week.

Was the 1 year / 15000km service.

Quoted price was $440.00, however they charged me $282.00 as I supplied my own oil.

No map updates as I was told they are released around October each year and mine was the latest version.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I just booked in for my 1 year/15000km service for next week (just clicked over 7500km today).

Will also be getting the recall done - will have to remember to ask about the map update.

Quoted $435.

Sponsored

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Had my GT V8 serviced last week.

Was the 1 year / 15000km service.

Quoted price was $440.00, however they charged me $282.00 as I supplied my own oil.

No map updates as I was told they are released around October each year and mine was the latest version.
Forgot to add, they renewed my NRMA Roadside Membership for another 12 months, valued at $105.00.

Drew, don't forget to ask about your renewal.

bluepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue S550
I think it was $435, but because i brought my own oil it was around $330.

No silly upselling of injector cleaning or anything else, i was quite happy about that.
Pete which engine oil do you use?

I was looking at the Castrol Edge 5W-30 but unsure if it is suitable.

There is a Repco sale with Nulon sale coming up 1/6 (tomorrow) and they stock the Nulon 5W-30 as well. Just not sure if it is suitable too? or should I go with the Castrol Edge for better quality :shrug:

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Pete which engine oil do you use?

I was looking at the Castrol Edge 5W-30 but unsure if it is suitable.

There is a Repco sale with Nulon sale coming up 1/6 (tomorrow) and they stock the Nulon 5W-30 as well. Just not sure if it is suitable too? or should I go with the Castrol Edge for better quality :shrug:
I used Mobil Super 3000 Formula FE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Oil.

It meets the Ford Specification WSS-M2C913-D as Ford state has to be used, along with the 5W-30 Grade.

You can not buy this oil at retail outlets.

I bought mine at a Oil/Lubricant wholesaler.
Comes in a carton of 4 x 5 litre containers.
Paid $187.00 for the 20 litres.

I bought mine from the One Stop Lube Shop in Production Road, Taren Point, (Sydney).

Note: There are not a lot of oils you can buy from Retail Outlets that meet the Ford Specification WSS-M2C913D.

Last edited:

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Fastback GT MT PP
Looking at the dates on the files on the SD Card suggests to me this data was available way back in October 2014. I got my car in Jan 2016, so even at that stage it would have been a bit out of date. Looks like I will be chasing up my dealer for my free map update.

Since-64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, G6ET, 2016 Mustang
Had my 12 month service done in april, returned with a sticker on the radio stating that free map update had been installed
Sponsored