Sponsored

Ford wants to help us mod the ecoboost?

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
Nope, I called ford racing a few weeks ago and the guy wouldn't give me an estimate of when it would be available. It should be by end of year though
end of year? fml
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
If I get things right :
A ford tune will 'as original FORD' not need to be reflashed to stock before maintenance and will not void any warranty or allow Ford or insurance cy to refuse claims?
Or is this only wishfull thinking...
What tune you have has nothing to do with your insurance company. If you wreck your car and they check the ECU it won't matter what mods you have if you were driving like an idiot. (Not accusing you, just saying...)

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
Definitely would buy a tune from Ford assuming I keep my full factory warranty. I'm hesitant to go aftermarket tune due to possibly losing the warranty. A warranty like we have on our power train is worth a couple grand I figure. Forfeiting that for a few extra hp seems to be irresponsible imo.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
OR we do offer our custom tuning and have a FLAWLESS record with our now 6 year history with EcoBoost tuning.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/2015%2b-Mustang-2.3-Ecoboost-Tuner.html

If you're taking a trip to the dealer, no matter who makes the tune you have to flash it back to stock. They cannot touch a modified ECU.
Can you clarify why Ford would not warranty or would require the ECU be flashed to original for a service appointment or warranty repair?

I worked in GM dealerships for several years during my working career and any GM parts or service that fell under warranty guidelines was handled through the dealership. After market, no, but parts or service from the factory were no question.

Jim

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Can you clarify why Ford would not warranty or would require the ECU be flashed to original for a service appointment or warranty repair?

I worked in GM dealerships for several years during my working career and any GM parts or service that fell under warranty guidelines was handled through the dealership. After market, no, but parts or service from the factory were no question.

Jim
Ford has already stated that the tune is warrantied. The need to flash it back to stock for service is just related to them being able to access the ECU.

Hey LMS - When you say custom tuning you are saying that the tune you send will take into account any mods we already have like CAI/exhaust right?

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP

Jim

They wouldn't, provided it is the Ford racing ECU tune. No dealer should question a Ford Racing part. However, you are no longer under the factory warranty for some components, but a new one with different terms backed by Ford Racing.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
They wouldn't, provided it is the Ford racing ECU tune. No dealer should question a Ford Racing part. However, you are no longer under the factory warranty for some components, but a new one with different terms backed by Ford Racing.
I think that's the part that most people don't actually understand. Just because the warranty comes from Ford doesn't make it the factory warranty. For instance, you may find that there is a deductible for repairs with the new warranty.

Just don't tear up your car and the likelihood of needing a warranty at all is really low. And save some of the mod money in case you blow your engine. Its just a matter of being financially responsible.

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that's the part that most people don't actually understand. Just because the warranty comes from Ford doesn't make it the factory warranty. For instance, you may find that there is a deductible for repairs with the new warranty.

Just don't tear up your car and the likelihood of needing a warranty at all is really low. And save some of the mod money in case you blow your engine. Its just a matter of being financially responsible.
I had misread the warranty info too and thought it was covered under the full factory warranty. After rereading the warranty info, you are correct. The warranty is the limited Ford Race warranty even though this is not a race mod.

My EB came with a written lifetime powertrain warranty good at any Ford dealer so that kills any tunes for me. I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time and want the security of the factory warranty.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)

Jim
My comment had nothing to do with warranty coverage.

I am not sure if you did any ECU updating in your days at the dealership, but if there is a file on the ECU there is no way to for example to forward update the strategy. If you bring in a modified ECU, no matter the source of the mod, it takes more time for a tech to complete his assigned job...and time=$$$

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Ford has already stated that the tune is warrantied. The need to flash it back to stock for service is just related to them being able to access the ECU.
Thank you, you are correct.

Hey LMS - When you say custom tuning you are saying that the tune you send will take into account any mods we already have like CAI/exhaust right?
We can tune for most all major upgrades available. In the case of your examples given, absolutely.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
I had misread the warranty info too and thought it was covered under the full factory warranty. After rereading the warranty info, you are correct. The warranty is the limited Ford Race warranty even though this is not a race mod.

My EB came with a written lifetime powertrain warranty good at any Ford dealer so that kills any tunes for me. I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time and want the security of the factory warranty.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim
And your concerns are understandable. Most dealerships are cool with tuning at this point. SEMA and their legal team has really made major headway here as well. They have made it to where the dealership has to prove that whatever mod you have made is what caused whatever failure that has occurred. We recommend that you just be open and honest with your service writer and build a great rapport with them. We have a few dealerships that surround us here in Dearborn, Mi and they all know what we do, and our local clients most all use them for their service.

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And your concerns are understandable. Most dealerships are cool with tuning at this point. SEMA and their legal team has really made major headway here as well. They have made it to where the dealership has to prove that whatever mod you have made is what caused whatever failure that has occurred. We recommend that you just be open and honest with your service writer and build a great rapport with them. We have a few dealerships that surround us here in Dearborn, Mi and they all know what we do, and our local clients most all use them for their service.
Thanks. That's very good advice. The thing is, I'll never race the car so the tune is just to increase midrange torque for daily driving. I love the kick in the back when the turbo comes in. The extra torque would just increase the fun.

I'll talk to the service department at the dealership I bought it from and get their feedback.

Thanks again!

Jim

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Please provide link to this statement by Ford.
Typically in the past, FRPP tunes come with a 3/36 month warranty if installed by a FRPP certified dealer. Your factory warranty isnt void but if there is a failure where the tune is the blame, the supplemental warranty has you covered. After the 3/36 it is like have any other aftermarket tune, essentially.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. That's very good advice. The thing is, I'll never race the car so the tune is just to increase midrange torque for daily driving. I love the kick in the back when the turbo comes in. The extra torque would just increase the fun.

I'll talk to the service department at the dealership I bought it from and get their feedback.

Thanks again!

Jim
No problem Jim!

I don't race my Fusion, and I won't race my Focus RS...much LOL.
The tuning for me is more about having more fun leaving marks on the ground and blowing by unsuspecting victims in short bursts. And my second tuner is for my girl, as she drives like Helen Keller and Tony Stewart combined so for her it is to add a bit of efficiency so my check doesn't go straight to BP lol.
Sponsored