Ford Tower Brace on V6

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
Ford Tower Brace installed on noted on a V6 CJ pony parts hood video for hood replacement

[ame]
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
It's best to lower the engine to get the best use out of these vs using washers. Using washers isn't optimal and causes flex. Strut tower bars are supposed to sit flush not stacked with washers. Lowering the engine in itself increases the center of gravity which helps handling. I dropped mine 1/4" (I could go as far as 1/2") using the BMR MM007. The stock mounts are mushy anyways so why not upgrade?

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I have the Ford Tower Brace on my 2015 V6 for over a year with NO problums, when I installed it to get clearence off the intake manifold I used rubber washers under it and they gave me just enough plus dampened any harmonic sound.

Sponsored

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I have the Ford Tower Brace on my 2015 V6 for over a year with NO problums, when I installed it to get clearence off the intake manifold I used rubber washers under it and they gave me just enough plus dampened any harmonic sound.
What size washers and where did you find them

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
What size washers and where did you find them[/QUOTE}

For the size I took off one of the nuts and went to ACE hardware and matched it up. They started out about 3/8 of a inch and after tighting them down it left just a enough room for the clearance off the intake manifold.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I have one going on soon as well. I can not see the very little shim you need being a problem. I have shimmed Alternator brackets with washers. It worked fine.
There is noticeable cowl shake without one.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I have one going on soon as well. I can not see the very little shim you need being a problem. I have shimmed Alternator brackets with washers. It worked fine.
There is noticeable cowl shake without one.
Because once you run metal washers the way the strut tower bar handles the load/tension is changed since it's no longer flush. If you're running rubber washers you no longer even have a solid mount. If you are going for just the look of one one I s'pose, however if you're going for actual function (to actually improve rigidity) and correct geometry the correct way is to lower the engine. The strut bar the way Ford intended it to be mounted (triangulation with 3 points tying it into the firewall/strut towers and not just the bar alone) acts as a spring. Using washers or spacers changes the way the load/tension is distributed, using rubber washers just makes it a decoration piece that no longer/barely even acts as a spring/solid mount. If you're going for looks/decorative piece and a strut bar that does not function as the factory ones do, go right ahead with washers. Lastly, if installed correctly the way they were engineered to function, you will not have any NVH, these are installed on factory cars that have to pass strict NVH guidelines. Just putting this information out there for those who do want to improve their suspension. :thumbsup:
m20201m_1.1150.jpg

Last edited:

jburgess1379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted v6
Hey look. Its my car! Lol. Anyway, yes motor mounts would be ideal. I have fender washers in between the full upper cowl extension and the ford racing strut tower. Yes it could create some stress on the bolts. Ive had no issues along with many others. Honestly just the strut tower brace is a very minimal suspension upgrade. The upper cowl extension is slightly better of an upgrade. Both parts are very minimal suspension upgrades. If you want to upgrade your suspension there are many other parts you may not have yet that are more beneficial. I am running out of suspension parts to buy and I may get motor mounts down the road.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Everyone has an opinion.
I have been wrenching on cars it seems like forever. Spacers are used a lot. In all kinds of different ways. On something very critical or engineered to a very tight tolerance, I get it. This strut bar is not one of those. The fact that it moves around on the posts before bolting it down says volumes.
I am not trying to talk anyone into it. Its your car and you take full responsibility for the mods you make. Common sense and logic will take you far if you have command of them.
I made sure I have plenty (for me) of clearance between the brace and the manifold. I will check it again in 2 weeks after some miles to make sure the clearance is good.
This car is not going to be drag raced or track dayed (is that a word?). Its just a semi daily/weekend toy. In that capacity the strut brace will be just fine.

Pics or it didn't happen. :clap2:
engine bay 1.jpg
Sponsored