Sponsored

Ford, Shelby American and "limp mode" cooling concerns

Gomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Shelby GT500 KR, 2016 Shelby GT350
Ah, so it is inside the tranny and not something that can be just bolted on?
That is correct that the pump is internal. Aftermarket trans cooler will require an external pump as well as the heat exchanger.
Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Doood !! I don't EVEN fear the aftermarket. Bring it on! If you have info on an aftermarket trans cooler for my Tech Pack GT350, please do tell. I had no problem at all going aftermarket for cooling on my Z06/Z07. Glad I did, even if GM is saying it voids my 100,000 mile warranty.
I'm thinking there is a fill and a drain plug on your GT350 and that's all you need for a bolt on cooler. Well, that, time, money and a bunch of beer.

http://shop.kohrmotorsports.com/REH...IFFERENTIAL-COOLER-STANDARD-KIT-RR05DCSTD.htm

Full tilt boogie racing also has a general kit. I would expect they are getting the stuff together for a GT350 but you can build your own and save?

Gomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just waiting on the kit.. Me and about a hundred others. Lol

I see kohr has some neat stuff but I don't see a trans cooler for a GT350. When I do I will be one of the first to call them. I bookmarked them though, thanks!

Last edited:

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
Hmmm.....guess maybe I should have stopped in here and read up "before" putting $$$ down for a Tech Pack GT350.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Hmmm.....guess maybe I should have stopped in here and read up "before" putting $$$ down for a Tech Pack GT350.
Don't overthink it. You will be fine. If I hadn't worked on an R deal for over a year I'd buy a tech to get the seats and electronics. Even the mighty Ford GT wouldn't run more than a couple hot laps before shutdown. A Ford GT. If you are going to beat on it on the track, then you'll need what the Track option offers. Surely there will be about 4 kits to retrofit coolers advertised shortly.

Sponsored

Gomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't overthink it. You will be fine. If I hadn't worked on an R deal for over a year I'd buy a tech to get the seats and electronics. Even the mighty Ford GT wouldn't run more than a couple hot laps before shutdown. A Ford GT. If you are going to beat on it on the track, then you'll need what the Track option offers. Surely there will be about 4 kits to retrofit coolers advertised shortly.
Agreed. FP is supposedly working on at least a trans cooling package, right? I'm not even sure the Torsen diff needs cooling for a 20 minute HPDE session anyway. And even if they flake out I am certain that the aftermarket will eventually address this 'opportunity'.

One thing l am curious about is if one can order a gt350 w/ tech and track packs. We wanted a car for my wife that we could tour and track just like I have with my 3LZ C7Z Vette. Anyone have the answer to that?

Gomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What snaproll said........

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Model year 17 TrackPack is the new base. Opinions are now convenience or electronic pack option. One has Recaro's other heated and cooled seats, but all model year 17's have coolers.

Gomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just trying to make sure we keep our eye on the ball. This is really a great point. Maybe FP will see this.

From another thread, Chris M said.

Right! I did know this and I still bought a Tech Pack.
If Tech Pack purchasers bought the car thinking they can make it on the track... they should have read the Ford warning in the GT350 Owners Supplement, page 25:

For sustained high speeds or track day
use with a Base or Tech model, we
recommend that transmission and
differential coolers are added. Your
vehicle has electronic controls to
reduce power and/or limit RPM to
reduce powertrain temperatures if
required.

No problem, I'll add those later.

However, I did NOT know the actual transmissions where different at the time!!

Then Ford Performance states... "oh, you can't currently add coolers because the pump is internal to the transmission you don't have and there are no connections for the Diff cooler.

Then why the hell do you write this:
"we recommend that transmission and
differential coolers are added."

I don't expect coolers for free, but I do expect Ford Performance to stand by what they wrote to be viable.

I have almost 4000 miles on my car and I am waiting to take it to my first track event, but I know it will be worthless until I get coolers. Coolers that Ford Performance said I should add... that they say... well... aren't available yet. Maybe late Summer.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Agreed. FP is supposedly working on at least a trans cooling package, right? I'm not even sure the Torsen diff needs cooling for a 20 minute HPDE session anyway. And even if they flake out I am certain that the aftermarket will eventually address this 'opportunity'.

One thing l am curious about is if one can order a gt350 w/ tech and track packs. We wanted a car for my wife that we could tour and track just like I have with my 3LZ C7Z Vette. Anyone have the answer to that?
Highly unlikely the Torsen needs cooling for that short of a time. Trans is the way to go first. Although, Rear coolers are available now

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Where are the rear coolers available?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Where are the rear coolers available?
Sorry, should have been more specific :headbonk:. Aftermarket coolers have been around for a long time for the 8.8. See Kohr Motorsports. Talk to Dean

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
OK, I have looked at those. I also took a good look at the coolers Ford Racing School puts in their Mustang GT school cars. I don't want to cut the spare tire well as the school does. It would be nice to adapt the factory cooler and location with an aftermarket pump.