Sponsored

Ford Racing Half Shaft Install Help

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Hi guys,

I barely wrapped up installing my new Ford Racing half shafts.
I need your expertise on what to do with a rubber boot on the passenger side which rubs the shock whether the suspension is loaded or not.

I don't want to drive around and wear out the rubber boot like this. The driver's side is almost rubbing, but doesn't rub because it has a slight clearance of about 1/16'' when loaded. I clocked the bushings for both sides and tightened everything up.

Thank you,

Ivan

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Take a pair of scissors and cut off about 3" off the bottom of the shock boot cause it is going to rub at ride height.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Thanks, brother. I hope my future Koni rear shocks are skinny.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
You can also see if you can slide down the small side of the CV boot which would stretch it out a little more to make the boot skinnier.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I rotated the halfshaft and carefully used a dirtbike tire iron to squeeze the boot's metal band ever so slightly towards the diff. That thing isn't budging much without using a new clamp. I have about 1/16'' of clearance on both sides now. I wish I had far more though. As a noob, I fruitlessly tried moving the lower shock mount away from the halfshaft, but it floats on a rubber sleeve and isn't stationary. I also cut a short section of the shock's dust cover facing the rubber boot. I'm paranoid about sand getting in there now, but it beats damaging the boot because of a pothole or similar. Thanks again.

Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Yeah those clamps should be at any parts store if you wanted to cut it off and slide a little more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Update: I got the car off jack stands this morning and drove around slowly for a couple miles being careful to listen to the car. I then put the car back on jack stands to examine the rubber boot.

The rubber boot looks good with no signs of wear so I'm a bit more confident to drive normally now. I guess at ride height, the suspension really compresses to add some more clearance.

Compared to before with the stock axles and my diff bushings, there is much less clunking sounds coming from the rear and it's noticeably quieter inside. Everything feels solid. Now for some sticky tires.

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Thanks to GTBOB for his idea of pulling out the whole hub. And thanks again to z06psi for helping a noob out.

Some install notes for others: be sure to clean the diff seal before you put the new ones in. Mine was filthy on the outside with sand and gunk and it took a while to clean. I put some thick gear oil on the seal and on the halfshaft splines to help with the install and seal.

Here's some install pics for fun:

Last edited:

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
where'd you get your ford racing axles at ivan

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Last edited:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Never seen or heard of that potential boot rubbing issue, you'll have to keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Do u reuse the washer/spacer from the stock shafts or do the new ones come with them?

OP
OP
IvanCRF

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry