Ford...Quality is Job 1

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
The transit connect sport I just got rid of would make me very much disagree lolol
I was surprised when I first came across the early Transit Connects that were built in Yugoslavia.
Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
You can get a reaction when using aluminium skins on steel framed / backed panels - but I don’t think our doors are aluminium ? (Fenders and hood only ? But I could be wrong …)

Typically though, those reactions would start where the two panels touch / join i.e. not in the middle of a solid / single material area like your spot appears to be (do you have any photos from further back ?).

I think your issue is an inclusion in the paint (there from new), but a good body shop would confirm either way.

I know your eye will see it all the time now, but if I was you and if it is an inclusion, I would just monitor it to check it doesn’t get any worse (the paint thickness / protection could be compromised due to the inclusion) - use your photo as a comparison for future checks.

I you try to fix it, you could end up worse off (paint match / paint blending issues etc) …

Even just a cursory look around a S550 in the showroom, it’s rare that I found one without a paint or body defect - and that’s just a quick walk around, without looking closely … :frown:

WD :like:
You're correct; the hood and front fenders are aluminum and the rest is steel (verified with my magnet).

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
2019 1.5 euro6
Garbage, nothing but problems with it, switchgear, A/C, dpf, adblue (had to have it mapped out) ate brakes and ball joints. I’ve bought a new 2.0 Vivaro Pro instead as I just had enough. My previous 2016 was faultless and better screwed together imo

IMG_1087.jpeg
You can tell from those vinyl stripes on the hood it would be nothing but problems. Only thing missing is a faux snake to replace the Ford logo.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
You can tell from those vinyl stripes on the hood it would be nothing but problems. Only thing missing is a faux snake to replace the Ford logo.
Stripes on a Mustang? :giggle:
Transit sport models come with stripes, it’s the law :like: Everything apart from the roof bars in that pic is factory, it was better than any sign writing, everyone knew it! There were only 2 that spec sold in the UK and I still own the other one lol

Last edited:

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
You can get a reaction when using aluminium skins on steel framed / backed panels - but I don’t think our doors are aluminium ? (Fenders and hood only ? But I could be wrong …)

Typically though, those reactions would start where the two panels touch / join i.e. not in the middle of a solid / single material area like your spot appears to be (do you have any photos from further back ?).

I think your issue is an inclusion in the paint (there from new), but a good body shop would confirm either way.

I know your eye will see it all the time now, but if I was you and if it is an inclusion, I would just monitor it to check it doesn’t get any worse (the paint thickness / protection could be compromised due to the inclusion) - use your photo as a comparison for future checks.

I you try to fix it, you could end up worse off (paint match / paint blending issues etc) …

Even just a cursory look around a S550 in the showroom, it’s rare that I found one without a paint or body defect - and that’s just a quick walk around, without looking closely … :frown:

WD :like:
I think that Ford paint is the worst that I've ever seen. Thin, brittle and absolutely no durability. I had a 2018 Fusion and traded it in at less than 65K miles mostly because of the rock chips that peppered the entire front end. Never saw anything like it. I PPF'd the front of my Mustang.

I truly believe that Ford paint classifies as a factory defect - the best way to tell if your Ford's paint is defective is to confirm that it was applied by Ford.

Thanks for allowing g me to get that off my chest! (Lol).
Sponsored