Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
...and phase out the "Shelby" branding?
Fine by me - Moving from SVT to Shelby only resulted in a premium for Mustang enthusiasts who had to pay for the privilege of the badge.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
That’s the sweet AUS SuperCar series👌

Those earlier engines look very similar to BMW M3s S65 with the 8 individual throttle boddies. Love those Aussie Super Cars.

top-no-cover-791.jpg

Last edited:

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Those engines look very similar to BMW M3s S65 with the 8 individual throttle boddies. Love those Aussie Super Cars.

top-no-cover-791.jpg
Yep the old engines are going away. Too expensive nowadays to justify racing budgets.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Yep the old engines are going away. Too expensive nowadays to justify racing budgets.

That pic is of a production version of the S65. The S65 powerplant was a normally aspirated wet dream.

RacerX#99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Auto, 2018 Edge SEL
Ford getting back into serious professional road racing is great news. Finally, the Mustang in race trim will be competitive with the Corvette, Porsche, and all those foreign exotics we see at the Rolex 24 and international road racing series every year. Those who think the Mustang cannot win against those other brands are not racing fans. Keep in mind every time Ford decides it is going all out to win in professional road racing, more times than not come off with the win. When Ford went back to Le Mans with the GT they already had a proven engine that had won the Rolex 24 hrs at Daytona powering the Shank racing Prototype Eco-boost v-6 in 2013. Also, these Mustangs are just like the racing Corvettes in that they are body in white chassis the race teams build into factory supported race cars. Neither the Mustang nor any of the other factory race cars will be available at your local dealer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Fine by me - Moving from SVT to Shelby only resulted in a premium for Mustang enthusiasts who had to pay for the privilege of the badge.
Disagree. I think the Shelby GT350 gave amazing value for the money. Being that many people paid over MSRP for the first few years of production, I'd say a lot of people agree. I do wish Ford wouldn't have limited production volumes of the car, but I'm glad they continued making them for 5 years.

Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Disagree. I think the Shelby GT350 gave amazing value for the money. Being that many people paid over MSRP for the first few years of production, I'd say a lot of people agree. I do wish Ford wouldn't have limited production volumes of the car, but I'm glad they continued making them for 5 years.
I think you may have misunderstood his comment. I don't think anyone is saying that the GT350/GT500 aren't amazing cars, but that they were priced about 10k more than they should because of the "Shelby" tax. Going with the SVT moniker would hopefully keep the speculators at a minimum.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The important thing is the new Mustang will look like the street Mustang in several ways. If true the GT3 will use a body in white means the production Mustang devoid of all mechanical parts will be used. Good news.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think you may have misunderstood his comment. I don't think anyone is saying that the GT350/GT500 aren't amazing cars, but that they were priced about 10k more than they should because of the "Shelby" tax. Going with the SVT moniker would hopefully keep the speculators at a minimum.
No, I understood that perfectly. What I'm saying is that Ford could have increased the MSRP and still sold those cars, because the value of the performance parts on the car and the way they were integrated ended up making the car really good.

And I think the Mach 1 pricing backs up my feelings. It costs more than the GT350 did, but it doesn't have as special an engine and the brakes aren't nearly as good. The Mach also doesn't have the same weight reduction or unique parts that the GT350 did. If the Shelby had a $10k "Shelby tax" increasing its MSRP, the Mach with fewer unique and lesser performance parts should be at least $15k lower in price than the Shelby. You could say that there's been $5k worth of inflation between 2016 and 2022, but that still leaves a big gap in price vs. performance between the Mach and Shelby.
Sponsored