Sponsored

Ford Performance tune vs BAMA, anybody switch?

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
if I lived closer I'd drive to you and give you a hug
I was bonking my own head - long story and not worth the explanation

There are really only 2 valid options for the ecoboost

Lund via N-Gauge or Cobb via Tune+

I'm sorry if that upsets people but results are what they are...

and please man, take it easy, I only posted a few emoji's for fun:ford:
Results don't upset me, but I was just posting a question which I thought was the point of forums. If you have explanations I bet plenty of people would be interested, rather than wondering what the response means.

Peace.
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Dang Ron you caught some heat in here lol, No point on switching too a ford racing tune after you've already tuned it with bama and lost your factory warranty... and Ron is right a good tune comes from the 2 he listed.
Ron is a troll.... he needs a hug and attention, obviously. :lol:

At any rate, you can switch to the FP tune from another tune.

Couple people on here have done just that to preserve their warranty. Is it morally right??? Everyone needs to judge for themselves.

The two he listed are good tuners, but the only "valid" tuners? There are many reasons someone would go with other tuners over those two tuners.

The FP tune will carry the warranty, makes the auto very smooth, and pulls all the way through. But if your previous tune had a lot of power, you more than likely will miss that power (for example, I know that unleashed puts down more power than FP tune). FP tune is not slow, by any means.

Depends on what you are trying to do and your goals for the car as well...

Last edited:

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Ron is a troll....

Couple people on here have done just that to preserve their warranty. Is it morally right??? Everyone needs to judge for themselves.

The two he listed are good tuners, but the only "valid" tuners? There are many reasons, for example, someone would go with other tuners over those two tuners.

I should have noticed a troll comment... he needs a hug and attention, obviously. :lol:
name calling when I was kidding around???

Your wit is about as sharp as those BAMA tunes and makes about as much of an impact as the FORD calibrations

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Ah, Ron is not a troll.

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Ron is a troll.... he needs a hug and attention, obviously. :lol:

The two he listed are good tuners, but the only "valid" tuners? There are many reasons someone would go with other tuners over those two tuners.

The FP tune will carry the warranty, makes the auto very smooth, and pulls all the way through. But if your previous tune had a lot of power, you more than likely will miss that power (for example, I know that unleashed puts down more power than FP tune). FP tune is not slow, by any means.

Depends on what you are trying to do and your goals for the car as well...
If your tuned prior to ford racing you already lost your warranty. It was the point I was trying to make. Anyone can chose any tune they like..

Sponsored

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
... makes about as much of an impact as the FORD calibrations
I'm not surprised that aftermarket tunes would have greater yields than any performance tune from the factory, and we all know why. The question is, if all you want it for is more get up and go for a daily driver that will never see the track and you've only got 4,000 miles on your car, will the Ford tune do the trick? I'd really hate to toss my warranty for gains I won't appreciate.
Spring is coming, my birthday is in April...

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
I'm not surprised that aftermarket tunes would have greater yields than any performance tune from the factory, and we all know why. The question is, if all you want it for is more get up and go for a daily driver that will never see the track and you've only got 4,000 miles on your car, will the Ford tune do the trick? I'd really hate to toss my warranty for gains I won't appreciate.
The ford tune would be beat for you then

OP
OP
Warhead

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The FP tune will carry the warranty, makes the auto very smooth, and pulls all the way through.
When you say "smooth" for auto that is interesting to me, but I have no way to confirm any difference in shift points / pressure etc between BAMA and Ford Performance. As I mentioned up front I actually dig their slightly more subdued performance tune vs race, for this precise reason. In normal mode with BAMA's race tune it was just too hyperactive and would shift earlier and very quickly when just cruising around. The performance tune is very balanced for daily driving, until you switch to sport or track modes and friggin' floor it.

It's almost like you have to ASK it to haul ass, vs the race mode which expects it all the time.

Overall I think I am just safer sticking with the BAMA tune since the balance is already good.

If your tuned prior to ford racing you already lost your warranty. It was the point I was trying to make. Anyone can chose any tune they like..
Yes, it wasn't part of my question but if I ever did the Ford tune I would go back to the original factory tune for a little while before doing it. That doesn't guarantee they wouldn't find out it had been tuned...

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Unlike what that troll Ron is saying, the FP tune will get you down the road, and quickly.

A vert like mine with an unleashed tune does 0-60 in 5.3.... fp tune 5.6 all day, and maybe 5.5/4 pushing it. Does that really matter on public roads? Not really... only thing you are going to be slower as is cars that would more than likely beat you, even if you had another tune. Or you would be slightly faster than some... like a honda accord. Ha, ha, ha....

For what it is, the FP tune is the best thing going (keep warranty, professional).

FP can be a huge waste of money if you plan on modding in the near future (for that go with another tune).

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Overall I think I am just safer sticking with the BAMA tune since the balance is already good.
If you are happy with what you have, keep it... nothing wrong with that.

Yes, it wasn't part of my question but if I ever did the Ford tune I would go back to the original factory tune for a little while before doing it. That doesn't guarantee they wouldn't find out it had been tuned...
That is what most people are doing... I did not even answer that person... not worth spending 100 posts back and forth... people believe what they want.

name calling when I was kidding around???

Your wit is about as sharp as those BAMA tunes and makes about as much of an impact as the FORD calibrations
Wow... you are unbelievable. Seriously, go troll another thread. You don't have parts to sell? Slow month? Gee... get over being called out over your trolling. Not a huge deal. Live and learn.

Sponsored

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
Unlike what that troll Ron is saying, the FP tune will get you down the road, and quickly.

A vert like mine with an unleashed tune does 0-60 in 5.3.... fp tune 5.6 all day, and maybe 5.5/4 pushing it. Does that really matter on public roads? Not really... only thing you are going to be slower as is cars that would more than likely beat you, even if you had another tune. Or you would be slightly faster than some... like a honda accord. Ha, ha, ha....

For what it is, the FP tune is the best thing going (keep warranty, professional).

FP can be a huge waste of money if you plan on modding in the near future (for that go with another tune).
I don't race, I just want it to be a little more fun when I have the opportunity to do a little spirited driving. You know, pull a little harder out of the turns, that kind of thing. It sounds like the FP setup will work nicely for me. Thanks for the feedback.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I don't race, I just want it to be a little more fun when I have the opportunity to do a little spirited driving. You know, pull a little harder out of the turns, that kind of thing. It sounds like the FP setup will work nicely for me. Thanks for the feedback.
I just got my FP tune loaded and I'm driving through the supposed 100 mile dead period, but I can already tell a big difference in throttle response and part-throttle acceleration. After a couple of days I'm going to get after it pretty good and see how it feels.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I just got my FP tune loaded and I'm driving through the supposed 100 mile dead period, but I can already tell a big difference in throttle response and part-throttle acceleration. After a couple of days I'm going to get after it pretty good and see how it feels.
That "100 mile dead period" is a myth. Some were saying 100, some 200 some were saying multiple 200 mile drive cycles, it's all false. Talking with Ford Performance rep, he explained there is the normal table learning for fuel trims that happens quickly, something you probably wouldn't notice but what is noticeable is the OAR Adjust (Octane Adjustment Ratio). He said this is the first time they've included this so that owners could use 87 octane fuel in desired or needed. Normally they would just require 91 octane and not include that feature and it can be turned off by the owner. He said there is no SET drive cycle to get it to fully learn, the best way is to drive the car normal and enjoy it. To get it to learn the timing faster, a few pulls from 50-70 MPH at about 50% throttle would help. To me, that's normal getting on the highway or normal driving. Please don't expect that after 100 miles your car will come to life suddenly.

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
That "100 mile dead period" is a myth. Some were saying 100, some 200 some were saying multiple 200 mile drive cycles, it's all false. Talking with Ford Performance rep, he explained there is the normal table learning for fuel trims that happens quickly, something you probably wouldn't notice but what is noticeable is the OAR Adjust (Octane Adjustment Ratio). He said this is the first time they've included this so that owners could use 87 octane fuel in desired or needed. Normally they would just require 91 octane and not include that feature and it can be turned off by the owner. He said there is no SET drive cycle to get it to fully learn, the best way is to drive the car normal and enjoy it. To get it to learn the timing faster, a few pulls from 50-70 MPH at about 50% throttle would help. To me, that's normal getting on the highway or normal driving. Please don't expect that after 100 miles your car will come to life suddenly.
I always run 93, so does this mean that the new program will learn and get full use out of it? Around here it's either 89 or 93, no 91, so I'll still use it, but it would be nice to take full advantage of it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I always run 93, so does this mean that the new program will learn and get full use out of it? Around here it's either 89 or 93, no 91, so I'll still use it, but it would be nice to take full advantage of it.
The tune was for 91 but what we're really talking about is a minimum requirement and timing being adjusted by the available octane. Without seeing the programmed tables, there's now way to know the answer for sure. However, there is that possibility that using 93 octane will allow it to advance the timing a little more over using 91. Plus it provides an extra buffer. I always use 93 and 91 octane is available.
Sponsored