Sponsored

Ford performance Front sway bar hitting?

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey gang!

Apologies in advance if this is common but a search didn’t pop up anything specific, but curious on what could be going on with my front sway bar.

I recently installed the Ford performance suspension package, which included a front sway, and I’ve noticed I get weird wheel movement and occasional aggressive knocking when reversing and turning the wheel.

Doesn’t always happen, but does on occasion, and most noticeably when coming off uneven surfaces (like one wheel off my front driveway sloped sidewalk).

Don’t know if this is common, but open to suggestions. Seems like everything is fine at speed during turns, or straight lines. Just backing up slowly causes this havoc.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's because it didn't come with lateral locks. You need to add those so it doesn't shift when load is applied. That also prevents it from performing how it should, as the bar is meant to be loaded in torsion, and if it's allowed move laterally, it will not contribute as much to roll stiffness.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I have same kit no issues with no locks installed. Lateral locks are your friend! Easy and cheap install can’t go wrong.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's because it didn't come with lateral locks. You need to add those so it doesn't shift when load is applied. That also prevents it from performing how it should, as the bar is meant to be loaded in torsion, and if it's allowed move laterally, it will not contribute as much to roll stiffness.
I have same kit no issues with no locks installed. Lateral locks are your friend! Easy and cheap install can’t go wrong.
Thanks for the replies! That's why I thought it wouldn't be locks. No one else seems to be having the same issues. It's not consistent. I'll take a look for lateral locks, but I don't think there's much movement, as when I'm driving straight it's not bumpin around..

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
When you're driving straight, there is very little, if any, cross-loading between L and R going through the bar, and thus would not move the bar laterally.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
There's a common issue with them not coming with lateral locks. Likely your issue.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There's a common issue with them not coming with lateral locks. Likely your issue.
Got it. Appreciate the help! Last request, what sort of locks should I buy? Got any links? I know I’m pushing it with not searching... haha

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Got it. Appreciate the help! Last request, what sort of locks should I buy? Got any links? I know I’m pushing it with not searching... haha
The company that makes them is Whiteline. If my track pack susp kit starts doing this I’ll buy them too. So far so good at 2k miles.

Just make sure you buy the right size can’t remember the swaybar thickness off the top of my head. Really simple part I think it uses bolts that require Allen keys to tighten.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
FRPP now builds the front bars with stops installed. I contacted FRPP about this thinking they should replace my Track front bar with the new Track bar that includes the stops.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How’d that go? I’d love the same. Haha

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I noticed mine moving around enough to touch the frame on the passenger side when the sway bar was on the lowest of the two settinsgs. When I moved the end links to the stiffer setting it hasnt seemed to move as much or be an issue. I didnt know that ford changed the design to put stops in them.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I noticed mine moving around enough to touch the frame on the passenger side when the sway bar was on the lowest of the two settinsgs. When I moved the end links to the stiffer setting it hasnt seemed to move as much or be an issue. I didnt know that ford changed the design to put stops in them.
Do you know which is which? Mine was installed on the bolt hole furtherest to the outside. Is yours on the inside bolt?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know which is which? Mine was installed on the bolt hole furtherest to the outside. Is yours on the inside bolt?
Most will want to keep it on the most outside hole (it's the softest).

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Correct. The inside hole makes for a stiffer setup. I dont think its a huge noticeable difference and am quite happy with it in the stiffer setting.

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
I had to weld in these collars for my setup because of the bushing moving on the bars. I know one collar was only needed but the tech did two per side.

I also used the outer holes. Car corners very well now.
DSC01024.JPG
Sponsored