Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's Long, Funny, and Mostly True!!

From a Facebook user........

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment,.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart ass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
The older lady said that she was right our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain: Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

The Fresh Kills Landfill was the largest in the world by 1955. Plenty of waste being generated. Wonder how much of that was could have been recycled...

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

See above

But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

The escalator was invented in the late 19th century, not exactly a new-fangled invention.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.

I'm starting to think this lady is from the 17th century. The consumer electric washing machine was a post WWII product, and the disposable diaper a product of the early 60's.

Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

My two younger brother's would have to disagree. I think this is more about socio-economics than environmentalism.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

And yet, that Montana-sized screen manages to draw a fraction of the energy, especially in stand-by as compared to even a modern CRT TV. This also has more socio-economic implications than anything. A TV in the 50's cost more comparatively than a flat-panel does today. This would only make sense if the average household had an 85" 8K OLED in every room. More likely the surplus TV's are increasingly older models that get handed down to the kids as the main family TV gets upgraded.

In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

Bullshit. The concept of planned obsolescence was pioneered in the 1920's. The American household was increasingly inundated with various electrically powered gizmos and gadgets from then on.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Bubble wrap, another 60's product. Styrofoam, 1940's.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power.

First gas push mower: 1914.

We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Another invention of the early 20th century that was popularized commercially during the 60's.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

1st bottled spring water: 1767
1st disposable ballpoint: 1945
1st disposable safety razor (handle and all): 1963

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing."

On the cars themselves, plenty of those on the road in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. Pretty shit fuel economy, terrible on the environment as well...and do I even have to talk about how inflation works?

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

And that one outlet would be loaded with so much draw that it would blow out fuses/burst into flames.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Y'all motherfuckers invented the throwaway consumerism we have to deal with today.

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart ass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

And this individual is equally pissed that they have to live in the world with the environment their elders ruined, economy they created, and political system they had no say in. They're also pissed that they have to make the sacrifices their forebears were unwilling to make.
There you go. Just tapped into a little of my inner cynic :crackup:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The good news about getting to be a "Senior" is that I don't remember all that stuff Bikeman315 talked about!

What I do know is that the fastest car I ever owned is in my garage right now. To me, that helps me to focus on reality!

CVCashmere

Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Sorry Mik, you're not old enough. On second thought, why not? Go for it. :like: :crackup:
Didn't you just vote for an old idiot who wants to ban plastic bags? :clap:

All those paper bags that had thousands of uses are filling dumpsters as Amazon boxes as we speak. The average woke lefty has no idea where most of the products they purchase come from or how they are made. They simply think that forcing industry overseas and forcing millions of Americans to work poverty wage jobs in the service industry will save the planet.

1. Bring your own grocery bags? Can't do it because it is a known way of spreading diseases like covid-19. Personal bags are banned in Washington state.

2. Covers for school books? no worries, we simply cancel school for two years and create two full years of idiots with diplomas. Covid idiots are going to be a thing in the very near future.

3. No more newspapers for two reasons, young people can barely read or write and newspapers are almost all decidedly communist and spew leftist tripe so no one buys them. We can hear that crap all day on the TV. Wear I used to live the Sunday paper had the annual pistol, rifle and trap winter leagues scores posted for almost 75 years. One day it stopped. Their editor said, it no longer reflected their papers values and it did not attract the kind of readers they desired. They lost 5,000 subscriptions.

Times have changed gramps, lol. The real reason that cashier did not know a thing about the past is that her education has utterly failed her. She does not know who won World War II, or that we fought America's democratic party to force them to free their slaves in the 1860's or that our founding father's did more for America than simply being evil slaveowners who didn't want to pay taxes.

When you read that crap and smirk, run to the mirror and look at the mess you made of the country.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Didn't you just vote for an old idiot who wants to ban plastic bags? :clap:

All those paper bags that had thousands of uses are filling dumpsters as Amazon boxes as we speak. The average woke lefty has no idea where most of the products they purchase come from or how they are made. They simply think that forcing industry overseas and forcing millions of Americans to work poverty wage jobs in the service industry will save the planet.

1. Bring your own grocery bags? Can't do it because it is a known way of spreading diseases like covid-19. Personal bags are banned in Washington state.

2. Covers for school books? no worries, we simply cancel school for two years and create two full years of idiots with diplomas. Covid idiots are going to be a thing in the very near future.

3. No more newspapers for two reasons, young people can barely read or write and newspapers are almost all decidedly communist and spew leftist tripe so no one buys them. We can hear that crap all day on the TV. Wear I used to live the Sunday paper had the annual pistol, rifle and trap winter leagues scores posted for almost 75 years. One day it stopped. Their editor said, it no longer reflected their papers values and it did not attract the kind of readers they desired. They lost 5,000 subscriptions.

Times have changed gramps, lol. The real reason that cashier did not know a thing about the past is that her education has utterly failed her. She does not know who won World War II, or that we fought America's democratic party to force them to free their slaves in the 1860's or that our founding father's did more for America than simply being evil slaveowners who didn't want to pay taxes.

When you read that crap and smirk, run to the mirror and look at the mess you made of the country.
Thank you for your insight. Now go have ā€œanotherā€ 6 pack... :giggle: :like:

T.O.Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
What the heck does any of this have to do with S550 Mustangs? šŸ˜¬

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Oh, ok, I see.
Guess thereā€™s a place for everything here, just like thereā€™s a psych ward in the hospital.
šŸ˜‰
You are very wise, newbie. Welcome to the forum.

By the way, the psych ward here would be the ā€œfunny memeā€ thread. See you over there. :like: :clap:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Kids b s is similar to the young greater that asked why I wasn't wearing a mask the other day at Walmart. I had him call the front mgr. Asked her about their exemption policy. "Seniors and those with a medical condition" she states. I ask her, then why in the hell is the greeter in my face for not wearing one ! Needless to say, he was removed. He is now I found out a night stocker and has no contact with the public ! I will not tolerate that kind of insolence.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Just sent you a pm

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Wait, you have an exemption for the two groups at highest risk?
Yes Mik, those exemptions have been in place by the CDC for quite some time.
Sponsored