Sponsored

First Winter Coming Up With The Mustang

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
This will be my first winter with a rear wheel drive, non 4X4 vehicle. I used to have a '98 Dodge Ram 4x4 with all seasons (I think) and a '12 Ford Focus with all seasons. I don't recall being impressed with either vehicle in the winter time. When I bought the Mustang this year, I knew I would have to invest in winter tires living in the northeast and this being my only vehicle, so here I am.

I have a '17 GT PP and am looking at getting these wheels and tires:

245/40R19 Michelin X-Ice Xi3
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR9XI3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

American Racing Performance Pack Style Wheel
https://www.americanmuscle.com/performance-pack-black-19x85-2015.html

I was looking at the Blizzak LM-32's but I would rather have a dedicated snow and winter tire vs. a performance winter tire. Plus, my roommate has had the Xi3's on his WRX for several winters now and he loves them. The tires are $240/each from Tire Rack and that comes with a 2 year warranty. They are sold out from Discount Tire Direct. One thing I am not sure about is the sidewall height and if it really matters a ton. The Xi3's come in 245/40 (26.7") and 245/45 (27.7") with only a couple dollar difference. I was going to go with the 245/40 to have a lower look, but I am not sure that is the best route to go or how much that really matters. I understand that is ground clearance. The 245/40's would be 0.3" lower than stock front and 1" lower than stock rear. If I went 245/45, then it would be 0.7" taller than stock front and equal stock rear. I don't know how much the "bulge" on the sidewall affects anything.

The wheels are a copy of the PP wheels that I really like, plus they are cheap. They are $195 w/ TPMS sensor. I tried doing the tire and wheel combo packages from Tire Rack but I didn't really like any wheels they had. I have heard the term "offsets" being thrown around. Is that something I need to worry about?

Total comes to about $960 for the tires and $780 for the wheels, for a grand total of about $1740. I understand I will need to pay extra for mounting and balancing, I'm not sure how much that normally runs. A friend of mine has the sync tool for the TPMS so that I should not need to buy. Does this look like everything I will need?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This will be my first winter with a rear wheel drive, non 4X4 vehicle. I used to have a '98 Dodge Ram 4x4 with all seasons (I think) and a '12 Ford Focus with all seasons. I don't recall being impressed with either vehicle in the winter time. When I bought the Mustang this year, I knew I would have to invest in winter tires living in the northeast and this being my only vehicle, so here I am.

I have a '17 GT PP and am looking at getting these wheels and tires:

245/40R19 Michelin X-Ice Xi3
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR9XI3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

American Racing Performance Pack Style Wheel
https://www.americanmuscle.com/performance-pack-black-19x85-2015.html

I was looking at the Blizzak LM-32's but I would rather have a dedicated snow and winter tire vs. a performance winter tire. Plus, my roommate has had the Xi3's on his WRX for several winters now and he loves them. The tires are $240/each from Tire Rack and that comes with a 2 year warranty. They are sold out from Discount Tire Direct. One thing I am not sure about is the sidewall height and if it really matters a ton. The Xi3's come in 245/40 (26.7") and 245/45 (27.7") with only a couple dollar difference. I was going to go with the 245/40 to have a lower look, but I am not sure that is the best route to go or how much that really matters. I understand that is ground clearance. The 245/40's would be 0.3" lower than stock front and 1" lower than stock rear. If I went 245/45, then it would be 0.7" taller than stock front and equal stock rear. I don't know how much the "bulge" on the sidewall affects anything.

The wheels are a copy of the PP wheels that I really like, plus they are cheap. They are $195 w/ TPMS sensor. I tried doing the tire and wheel combo packages from Tire Rack but I didn't really like any wheels they had. I have heard the term "offsets" being thrown around. Is that something I need to worry about?

Total comes to about $960 for the tires and $780 for the wheels, for a grand total of about $1740. I understand I will need to pay extra for mounting and balancing, I'm not sure how much that normally runs. A friend of mine has the sync tool for the TPMS so that I should not need to buy. Does this look like everything I will need?
I've done the last three winters on Blizzak WS80s, an extremely similar tire to the Michelin in performance. You'll have no trouble.

I would go with these all around. The 19x10 versions are known to clear the brembos. These should too, though maybe need a 5 mm spacer (doubtful) for spoke clearance.
https://www.oewheelsllc.com/19-Fits-Ford-2015-Mustang-GT-Wheels-Satin-Black-19x8-5-SET

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
winter tires?

Nokian Hakkapeliittas!!!

Anything else is 2nd best snowtire.

Im on ND #3 using Nokians and dint regret it for a second.

Nokian Hakkas or bust!!

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I've done the last three winters on Blizzak WS80s, an extremely similar tire to the Michelin in performance. You'll have no trouble.

I would go with these all around. The 19x10 versions are known to clear the brembos. These should too, though maybe need a 5 mm spacer (doubtful) for spoke clearance.
https://www.oewheelsllc.com/19-Fits-Ford-2015-Mustang-GT-Wheels-Satin-Black-19x8-5-SET
How will I know if I need the spacer? Just when I go to install and it hits the brakes?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How will I know if I need the spacer? Just when I go to install and it hits the brakes?
Yeah. Having the spacer would match the offset of the AM wheels.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
Make sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the mating surfaces, especially with a spacer, if you're going to be running this in snow, salt, brine, etc.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Make sure to use plenty of anti-seize on the mating surfaces, especially with a spacer, if you're going to be running this in snow, salt, brine, etc.
You're talking where the wheel sits against the car, where it gets bolted in right (not sure what that term is)?

Is that sold as a spray, gel, etc.?

agolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I ran my 17 PP with BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-32 and loved them.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I run a set of the xi3 in the same sizes on my black accent package wheels for the winter. no complaints at all

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You're talking where the wheel sits against the car, where it gets bolted in right (not sure what that term is)?

Is that sold as a spray, gel, etc.?
Yeah just apply it on the faces where the wheel touches the hub, NOT on the studs.
Sponsored