IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
(Indiana)

I am looking for an '18 to '20 Mustang GT. Used prices seem incredibly high right now so I'm leaning towards brand new. I'm not even sure where to start, as I've never purchased a new vehicle before. I know the color/options I would like in the car. Black or Blue, 10 speed automatic. The things I like but would not be dealbreakers are active exhaust and the 8" touch screen. Every dealership I've spoken with has blown me off because I said I wanted to order one as they didn't have anything in stock that matched the options I want. Or they have told me that I'll be paying MSRP if I order one. My budget is $40,000. Are my expectations reasonable, or should I limit my search to used? I would qualify for the health professionals rebate, but I'm unsure what others I'd be eligible for.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight! Also, if anyone knows a dealership in Central Indiana that isn't a bear to work with, please let me know!
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hello Eric and welcome to the forum. I will try and keep this short. First off you are the customer. A dealer, any dealer should take you seriously. If they are not the solution is simple, leave. There is a dealer that you will be able to work with, you just haven't found them yet.

Now as far as the car, there is no reason for a dealer to not want to special order one for you so long as the order books are open. As far a pricing, taking a car out of a dealers inventory will usually give you more bargaining power but that does not preclude you getting a good deal on a special order.

As far as rebates, go to Ford.com and checkout the specials/promotions page. And lastly about your budget. Hard to tell if your $40K is going to get you what you want. Again go to the Ford site, build & price this time. Build the car the way you want and checkout the MSRP. A good discount to start with for a special order is 10% off. Now again do not know if you $40K is just for the car or out the door (taxes, fees, etc.)

One last thing for now. Expand your search. Get on the web and checkout sites like cars.com, autotrader and cargurus. The are still new cars out there. You are just going to have to work to find them.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Thanks so much for the response. I built a car with all of the options I wanted, and the MSRP was $41,000. If I can manage to get 10% off of MSRP, I'm well within a price range that I'd be satisfied with. I'm trading in a vehicle, so I'll save $2,000 on sales tax. Looks like I need to go to a dealership and get things started!

I have noticed that the Velocity Blue color is different on the website than I have seen in person. Do you know if they changed it this year?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for the response. I built a car with all of the options I wanted, and the MSRP was $41,000. If I can manage to get 10% off of MSRP, I'm well within a price range that I'd be satisfied with. I'm trading in a vehicle, so I'll save $2,000 on sales tax. Looks like I need to go to a dealership and get things started!

I have noticed that the Velocity Blue color is different on the website than I have seen in person. Do you know if they changed it this year?
Velocity Blue is an awesome color. Even considered one myself. It hasn't changed. You can never tell true color on a website. Go see one in person, you will love it.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Best bet it to widen your search. I had to go to the next state over to find the one I wanted. If you want to add something pretty handy to your list of options go for the blind spot indicator. Its a little light in your side mirrors to let you know someone is in your blind spot, and there are blind spots on these cars. Happy hunting

Sponsored

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
If you want to add something pretty handy to your list of options go for the blind spot indicator.
Thank you! I couldn't find that feature on the builder, I will give it another look.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
(Indiana)

I am looking for an '18 to '20 Mustang GT. Used prices seem incredibly high right now so I'm leaning towards brand new. I'm not even sure where to start, as I've never purchased a new vehicle before. I know the color/options I would like in the car. Black or Blue, 10 speed automatic. The things I like but would not be dealbreakers are active exhaust and the 8" touch screen. Every dealership I've spoken with has blown me off because I said I wanted to order one as they didn't have anything in stock that matched the options I want. Or they have told me that I'll be paying MSRP if I order one. My budget is $40,000. Are my expectations reasonable, or should I limit my search to used? I would qualify for the health professionals rebate, but I'm unsure what others I'd be eligible for.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight! Also, if anyone knows a dealership in Central Indiana that isn't a bear to work with, please let me know!
First thing to do is go and join the Mustang Club of America. This will let you get a Ford X-Plan ID and allow you to go to the x-plan site and search for the car you want and display a no-negotiating price. Go in with the print out and your MCA ID and they sell you the car at that agreed to price. That is the only way to buy any Ford - have done it for years. Just don't get caught up buying the dealer add-ons (warranty, paint protection, etc) cause they all try and sell you that. Makes car buying easy peasy....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I couldn't find that feature on the builder, I will give it another look.
BLIS is only available on the Premium model with the 401A package. Without anything else the MSRP climbs to $43,275. With the A10 and active exhaust you would be at $45,765. This would certainly be doable at $41K with the right dealer. The one thing I would add would be the spare tire. Worth its weight in gold if you need it. Another $405.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
BLIS is only available on the Premium model with the 401A package. Without anything else the MSRP climbs to $43,275. With the A10 and active exhaust you would be at $45,765. This would certainly be doable at $41K with the right dealer. The one thing I would add would be the spare tire. Worth its weight in gold if you need it. Another $405.
The dealers really seem to be giving me the runaround and not wanting to budge off of MSRP. I even found a Navy Federal preferred dealer and they are refusing to give me the Navy Federal price sheet. They said they won't sell below MSRP. I'm expanding my search, I'm not sure why I'm being treated like I'm not actually going to buy something. I'm young, but I have a good job as a nurse, a vehicle to trade in, and a blank check from my credit union. I guess Mustangs must really be selling well in my area.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Shop online. I bought mine new out of state. Saved $3k below the lowest I could negotiate and was also well below X-Plan. One-way flight for $100 and a 400 mile drive was worth it. Price was about $7k below list. That was 4 years ago but still scour the internet.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
You are trying to buy at the worst time this decade. I would call a dealer until you find one that will set up a time for you to come in and order your car. I wouldn't expect much off of it if you order - but you have to negotiate price FIRST before you order/do the deal with the dealer. If you order and then come in to haggle when it's time to pick it up that's not gonna go well.

I would not expect to get much off of any current inventory in this climate. Fun cars have been selling well because people are bored, and now supply is low.

I used Classic Ford here in Cleveland to order two Mustangs recently and it was a very pleasant experience. I got exactly what I wanted for the price I expected. I found the "Mustang guy" to work with at my dealer luckily enough, and he took good care of me.

Sort of related as well, I wouldn't personally want a car built during covid. All the extra PPE and steps workers have to jump through right now has to affect things somehow I think. But that is another issue entirely.

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I think your expectations are perfectly reasonable. Actually many here will probably tell you they got an even better deal than that. Ignore and forget the dealers that do not want your business. Keep shopping, you'll find one eventually that will be happy to work with you.

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Thanks everyone. I called Navy Federal and let them know the dealership on the list they gave me were giving me a runaround and refusing to give me anything but sticker price. Within a few minutes I had 3 member price sheets emailed to me, all below xplan pricing. The exact vehicle I want + sync 3 package was quoted at $36,500 with no dealer fees so I think we're in the right ballpark. Hoping to go look at some of them early next week.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Thanks everyone. I called Navy Federal and let them know the dealership on the list they gave me were giving me a runaround and refusing to give me anything but sticker price. Within a few minutes I had 3 member price sheets emailed to me, all below xplan pricing. The exact vehicle I want + sync 3 package was quoted at $36,500 with no dealer fees so I think we're in the right ballpark. Hoping to go look at some of them early next week.

X plan pricing is for people who don't wanna argue with dealers ... Same with Stealers offering everybody "Employee Pricing" .. You can do better and I personnally like telling them they're too freaking high on on their pricing..

As others sed Mustang pricing has been a bit high for the past few months since inventory was low and Ford essentially had no rebates on the GT's down here in the South East.

Now that inventory is starting to hit their lots, Prices are starting to drop. Local dealers a;re starting to advertize GT's them at 7-grand off so it's time for me to start looking.

I'm presuming that 36,500 car is a 301A package, 10R80 and Active Exhaust?
Sonic Ford here in Charlotte is advertising a silver one with the Black Top Package and 3.55 gears for 36,211 with another $500 off with your Medical Professional rebate drops that to $35,711.

https://www.townandcountryford.com/...d0a0e0a6b783678c082d6e67b.htm?searchDepth=1:3

I may look at that one my self.

Good luck and stay safe ...

OP
OP
IndyRN

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I'm presuming that 36,500 car is a 301A package, 10R80 and Active Exhaust?
Sonic Ford here in Charlotte is advertising a silver one with the Black Top Package and 3.55 gears for 36,211 with another $500 off with your Medical Professional rebate drops that to $35,711.

https://www.townandcountryford.com/...d0a0e0a6b783678c082d6e67b.htm?searchDepth=1:3
That car has a $400 dealership addon package and almost $800 in an administrative fee that's not included in the price. In Indiana, dealer fees are capped at $199 and I'll get about $2k in tax credit on my trade. If I could find a deal like that in my state though I'd jump on it!
Sponsored