Sponsored

First/second rattle... engine? Transmission?

Braaaaaap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99' Toyota 4Runner (Supercharged), 20' GT350
So far we have just over 300 miles on our GT350. It’s been really great, but there’s one strange thing going on.

In first and second gear, the car makes a rattle noise. It is definitely mechanical. It almost sounds like you’d imagine valves to sound. A light tick/tap noise. This gets slightly less loud when the engine is warm, but it only happens in first and second gear.
It is steady through the RPM range of both gears, but it isn’t too noticeable just putting around in the gear.

My theory is that it could be piston slap, and the reason it goes away in third is because there is more load. The thing that makes me hesitate is the car still makes this rattle when it is under load in first and second.

I’m not going to ask the dealership to check it out until the 1000 mile break in is completed to allow the rings to seat. I’ve followed the instructions on break in by fluctuating RPMs and varying load...

If this sounds familiar, normal, or identifiable please let me know. Absolutely love the car!
Sponsored