Sponsored

First oil change, which oil do you recommend for EcoBoost?

K'stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost premium
First oil change at 8300 miles. (I know, I know, I am super late.)
Which oil do you guys use for your EcoBoost, and recommend?
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Any good synthetic would do. I personally use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Same as Coconut. After learning that oil was extremely important on these little GDI turbo engines, I did quite a bit of research and ended up selecting Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I've used it along with a catch can since the car was new and they've done well for me at a little over 31k miles.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I did my first change with Amsoil SS. Thinking on switching it up to something else for ease of purchase locally at Wal-Mart. So the Ultra is good in these engines? Is that the same Ultra at wally world?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I did my first change with Amsoil SS. Thinking on switching it up to something else for ease of purchase locally at Wal-Mart. So the Ultra is good in these engines? Is that the same Ultra at wally world?
Yes it s and that factored into my selection as well. We had a huge discussion about oils and their properties here on the forum a couple years ago. Lots of people discussing what you want and don't want as far as content of the oil for GDI engines. The PUP seemed to be one of the best and the fact that it's available everywhere made it a even better choice.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

The oil weight is important also. 5w-30.

Any oil that meets Ford spec WSS-M2C946-A would be fine. You're gonna get a whole bunch of opinions on the best oil because the best oil is subjective. People will say whatever they are using is the best.

The car came with 5w-30 Motorcraft's synthetic blend oil.

I personally use Castrol Edge with Liquid Titanium. It's a full synthetic 5w-30 that meets the Ford spec above and also meets Honda's turbo spec HTO-06.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I always change at 5k miles. It makes it very easy to remember. Since the oil reminder isn't adjustable or I haven't found a way to, simply looking at the odometer and changing every 5, 10, 15k... etc makes it real easy. I'm just not ready to trust any oil for 7-10k miles yet. I also use a better and bigger oil filter. I use the Purolator Boss PBL20195 which is a little bigger than our stock filter. The less expensive version Purolator ONE PL20195 is still a very good choice and same size. Another option that I used to use is the Motorcraft FL-400S which is 3/4" longer than stock. The extra size of these filters doesn't get in the way at all.

Sponsored

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
Just do what the manual says, everyone else saying that this is better that is better is just their opinion.

Ford has done actual engineering with the oils they recommend (albeit its their own product lol, have i been a victim of marketing?).

But just follow the manual, it really doesnt make much of a difference what type of oils you use. The most important thing is intervals (again follow the manual) and weight (again follow the manual x 2).

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Just do what the manual says, everyone else saying that this is better that is better is just their opinion.

Ford has done actual engineering with the oils they recommend (albeit its their own product lol, have i been a victim of marketing?).

But just follow the manual, it really doesnt make much of a difference what type of oils you use. The most important thing is intervals (again follow the manual) and weight (again follow the manual x 2).
You'd be surprised just how much a difference the oil makes in a GDI engine. I agree to some point if it wasn't direct injection.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I agree with the above Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and would also like to cast a vote for Castrol Magnatec 5w30. After spending quite a bit of time over on BITOG, there are a lot of very good UOA's with this oil in all EB engines. It runs on the heavier side for a 30 weight oil, and is a full synthetic as of May instead of a semi-synth. Just picked up 5-quart jugs from wally world the other day for $17.48 each, and a Fram Ultra Guard filter for $7.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I agree with the above Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and would also like to cast a vote for Castrol Magnatec 5w30. After spending quite a bit of time over on BITOG, there are a lot of very good UOA's with this oil in all EB engines. It runs on the heavier side for a 30 weight oil, and is a full synthetic as of May instead of a semi-synth. Just picked up 5-quart jugs from wally world the other day for $17.48 each, and a Fram Ultra Guard filter for $7.
That's the issue I have with many "Full Synthetic" oils. There aren't many oils on the market that are actually full synthetic despite what the bottle says. Good to know it's becoming a real full synthetic. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: nevermind, I highly doubt Magnatec is a true full synthetic oil.

Last edited:

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
You'd be surprised just how much a difference the oil makes in a GDI engine. I agree to some point if it wasn't direct injection.
Just use Ford recommended oil
Sponsored