Sponsored

First Oil Change At 15,000km? (9,000 miles)?

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Wow!! How much have engines and oils improved recently? I haven't had a performance vehicle for over a decade now, however on my Mitsubishi Outlander 4x4 I feel bad going up to 10,000km (6k miles) before an oil change, and now I read in the owners manual for my 2019 GT that the FIRST (and subsequent) oil changes should be done by 15,000km (9k miles)!

I searched and read several forum posts where people still change it at 1k or 2k miles. I always thought that new engines had a special oil in them and had to be changed earlier, but I guess that is no longer the case. Fomoco should know best one would think right?

I just purchased my 2019 yesterday with 13,300 km on the clock (8,200 miles) and checked the oil life reading which said 29% oil life left. It's interesting, the car was first registered in May 2019 so just gone 12 months now. 13,300 / 15,000 = 11% oil life remaining based on mileage, and 0% left based on time, yet it says 29%. The oil is looking quite dark so definitely time for it's first change.

I don't think I can hold out until 15,000 km for future oil changes, as I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night lol :crazy:

Cheers
Sponsored

stang980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zurual
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
So many different opinions on this.

1. Some say follow the oil life gauge. Its supposed to adjust based on how you drive and so forth.

2. Some say no more than 5k miles. Change every 5k, regardless.

3. Some say definitely change your oil after break in. Others say no need.

4. Some keep the 3k mile change routine because they like the idea of fresh oil and that's what they have always done.

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I change mine every 3-5k because of number 4 and usually, by that time, it's getting a bit dirty. Maybe someone who has some real knowledge will say otherwise.

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
Wow!! How much have engines and oils improved recently? I haven't had a performance vehicle for over a decade now, however on my Mitsubishi Outlander 4x4 I feel bad going up to 10,000km (6k miles) before an oil change, and now I read in the owners manual for my 2019 GT that the FIRST (and subsequent) oil changes should be done by 15,000km (9k miles)!

I searched and read several forum posts where people still change it at 1k or 2k miles. I always thought that new engines had a special oil in them and had to be changed earlier, but I guess that is no longer the case. Fomoco should know best one would think right?

I just purchased my 2019 yesterday with 13,300 km on the clock (8,200 miles) and checked the oil life reading which said 29% oil life left. It's interesting, the car was first registered in May 2019 so just gone 12 months now. 13,300 / 15,000 = 11% oil life remaining based on mileage, and 0% left based on time, yet it says 29%. The oil is looking quite dark so definitely time for it's first change.

I don't think I can hold out until 15,000 km for future oil changes, as I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night lol :crazy:

Cheers
I work in the industry and I will tell you there are a slew of different answers out there, and every consumer on the planet has their own idea of what is right. Can you go 9k miles in between oil changes? Yes, but for longevity sake of your engine and depending on driving habits, our rule of thumb is every 5-6K miles depending on again, driving habits and types of oil used.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Yep many different opinions on this subject. For me I change it every 5K miles or once a year which ever comes first.

I use PUP full synthetic and haven’t had any problems. Change it my self. Worst part is the crappy yellow plastic drain plug. I bought a Ronin drain plug waiting to go on my next oil change for easy oil changing instead of 10 quarts of hot oil coming out all at once.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
for longevity sake of your engine and depending on driving habits, our rule of thumb is every 5-6K miles depending on again, driving habits and types of oil used.
If this were the case, then you would think Ford wouldn't suggest 9k miles then? Firstly, by recommending 9k miles they will potentially lose money (less oil changes) and secondly people would be potentially damaging their engines no? I would have thought Ford of all companies would be jumping at the chance of recommending people change their oil much more often than 9k miles?

Sponsored

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Yep many different opinions on this subject. For me I change it every 5K miles or once a year which ever comes first.

I use PUP full synthetic and haven’t had any problems. Change it my self. Worst part is the crappy yellow plastic drain plug. I bought a Ronin drain plug waiting to go on my next oil change for easy oil changing instead of 10 quarts of hot oil coming out all at once.
Yes, I've read about this too. Not so bad for me as I live in an apartment with basement garaging so can't do any work on it anyway. Someone else can get burned by the oil!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A few of things. My father in law is 91 and has been a mechanic and racer all his life. Back in the 70's and 80's we changed oil every 2k. Things have changed. My brother in law in a master mechanic for a dealer and also a racer. He changes his oil every 5K as do I. Is is necessary? No. Is is required? No. Should you do it if it gives you peace of mind? Absolutely.

I had my first oil change at just under 5K. Had the oil sent out to be analyzed and it came back just fine. You can do it sooner but again it is not necessary.

Lastly are folks who use full synthetic and changing oil every 5K. A total waste of money. The whole idea behind full synthetic is long life. Again if you have the $$ to burn, go ahead. I use the factory recommended semi-syn 5W-20 and have never had an issue.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Yes, I've read about this too. Not so bad for me as I live in an apartment with basement garaging so can't do any work on it anyway. Someone else can get burned by the oil!
Yes I understand. When I bought my 15’ GT I lived in an apartment and rented a outside storage unit. I would go there and have all my tools etc. and change the oil and filter right there.

I’ve had issues with the dealer changing my oil. The last time on my 12’ SS Camaro the tech put a nice scratch on the drivers side rear quarter.

I’ve read too many issues with dealers not putting the 10 quarts in for the 18’ + gen 3 Coyotes but only 8 since the 15’-17’s only took 8 quarts.

It’s more for piece of mind knowing it’s done right.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Yes I understand. When I bought my 15’ GT I lived in an apartment and rented a outside storage unit. I would go there and have all my tools etc. and change the oil and filter right there.

I’ve had issues with the dealer changing my oil. The last time on my 12’ SS Camaro the tech put a nice scratch on the drivers side rear quarter.

I’ve read too many issues with dealers not putting the 10 quarts in for the 18’ + gen 3 Coyotes but only 8 since the 15’-17’s only took 8 quarts.

It’s more for piece of mind knowing it’s done right.
Yes I've taken note re the oil volume, as I read that somewhere too. Will make sure I "remind" them and also check the invoice!!

Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
I've been doing 10,000 mile oil changes in all my vehicles for the last 20 years using only Mobil 1. No engine issues with any of them. The 2001 SLK230 just rolled over 210,000 miles on the clock and, aside from a power steering fluid leak, still runs as new.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If you're worried. Get a sample tested with 20% oil life left, then get on at 0% oil life left. They'll tell you everything about it, including how many more miles/km you're good for.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If you're worried. Get a sample tested with 20% oil life left, then get on at 0% oil life left. They'll tell you everything about it, including how many more miles/km you're good for.
If you're referring to the on board monitor remember that it tracks oil life as well as mileage. So that 20% could mean oil with 1000 miles on it and 10 months old.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
If you're referring to the on board monitor remember that it tracks oil life as well as mileage. So that 20% could mean oil with 1000 miles on it and 10 months old.
Then do it by mileage. Whatever floats ur boat.

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang v6, 1978 Ford Quadravan 4x4, 1992 Ford Explorer, 2000 Civic HX, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
That is basically what we did with our previous mustang (2006, v6). We changed the oil at 6000 miles and sent off a sample to blackstone. After a couple oil changes at 6k intervals the samples were showing we could go farther with our driving style/commute etc. We increased the interval and settled on 7k to start thinking about doing an oil change and by 9k miles I was thinking about doing an oil change after work.

We finally sold the Mustang at 389k miles to a neighbor. After their own oil change a some maintenance I was putting off they took the car on a drive to California to drive up/down the PCH.

I guess I'm just saying I agree that doing a UOA (I use Blackstone labs) so you can figure out your own oil change interval so you aren't wasting money on doing them too early. If you keep doing UOA every so often you'll be able to keep an eye on how the motor is doing too.

~Mark
Sponsored