First GT500 Issue? Rocker Moldings Melting

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Something I noticed on every car at GT500 Track Tour was that the rocker molding looked like it was exposed to high temperatures. Every car I seen had rocker moldings that looked wavy and in some causes started to separate from the car.

Thoughts? Hopefully Ford can correct this before it becomes a big issue for GT500 owners.

GT500 Melted Rocker Molding.jpg
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
probably people stepping on it. IF it's not secured with fasteners, that was probably a mistake.

The close-up (seems to) shows the back third is pulling away from the underside.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
lol, body line on 35k mustang isnt perfect all hell breaks loose about how ford quality is "crap". wavy rocker panel on a 100k mustang with a 1/4" gap........... no issue hahaha

Im kidding dont get your panties in a wad.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
probably people stepping on it. IF it's not secured with fasteners, that was probably a mistake.

The close-up (seems to) shows the back third is pulling away from the underside.
I looked at the same cars, up close. I dont see what the "issue" is
If people were stepping on it, it would have just broke off. Would stepping on it causing them to turn wavy, no. Intense heat coming out of the engine bay and front wheel wells that is likely heating up the plastic moldings causing them to deform, yes.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
If people were stepping on it, it would have just broke off. Would stepping on it causing them to turn wavy, no. Intense heat coming out of the engine bay and front wheel wells that is likely heating up the plastic moldings causing them to deform, yes.

I thought these were per-production models? I’d chalk it up to that before I would heat from the engine and brakes.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Interesting.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would think the pre production parts would be made of a cheaper lower temp plastic then the production parts.

Once the mold is finalized and build they can change the composition of the plastic within a certain range.

I would think this is prepro junk more than an issue.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I’d say no. Doubt it’s a heat issue. You’d see the same issue on s550 and GT350s if it was. These cars don’t heat up anymore than those. Most probably from being kicked or pressed on when coming out of the car.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I thought these were per-production models? I’d chalk it up to that before I would heat from the engine and brakes.
I would think the pre production parts would be made of a cheaper lower temp plastic then the production parts.

Once the mold is finalized and build they can change the composition of the plastic within a certain range.

I would think this is prepro junk more than an issue.
I would agree if they were GT500 specific parts (like the new side splitters) but these are generic S550 Mustang parts.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I’d say no. Doubt it’s a heat issue. You’d see the same issue on s550 and GT350s if it was. These cars don’t heat up anymore than those. Most probably from being kicked or pressed on when coming out of the car.
No S550 is generating 230 kilowatts of engine heat and 100 kilowatts of heat from the front brakes. Stepping on the rocker molding would surely start separating it from the chassis but it is not going to cause a wavy deformation in the plastic.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would agree if they were GT500 specific parts (like the new side splitters) but these are generic S550 Mustang parts.
There is a little black wing(?) on the back of the rocker that is not on the gt or 350.

There is also a piece under the rocker that may attach and not molded together but will be a car specific part. I would guess this part has its own mold.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
There is a little black wing(?) on the back of the rocker that is not on the gt or 350.

There is also a piece under the rocker that may attach and not molded together but will be a car specific part. I would guess this part has its own mold.
The side splitters appear to be standalone from the generic S550 rocker molding but I could be wrong. But even then the plastic material would be the same as what's used on other S550 models.
Sponsored