Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Im running the RE71R daily/HPDE/autox. Only 2 days of HPDE and a few autocross events so far, probably 3-4k street miles. They'd be fine as a dedicated event tire, but they're simply a waste for street use. Its going to be hard to go back to a normal tire after these cheater tires :)

The RE71R is simply an amazing tire, and very forgiving, but they wont last a year at this rate doing triple duty on my daily driver.

MPSS can chunk if you run them too hard, too hot, too early in their life. I'd looke at the RE11 for triple duty.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Im running the RE71R daily/HPDE/autox.
fwiw I really really like that tire but have yet to try it on the Mustang - only familiar with s2000 use.

If I had to pick my guess at the best all around (non rain/snow) tire, that would probably be it. I wish they made them in 305's.

In the Mustang, I heard they get less grippy in HPDEs after about 6-10 min (based on comments)

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I have to say I've been really happy with the BFG Comp 2's in 285-35/19. You can find them for under $200 a tire. Holds up well on track, and still works well in the wet. Unless I'm TT'ing I'd rather make it more interesting than have ultimate grip. In these cars pretty much any square set-up allows you to run great lap times.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have to say I've been really happy with the BFG Comp 2's in 285-35/19. You can find them for under $200 a tire. Holds up well on track, and still works well in the wet. Unless I'm TT'ing I'd rather make it more interesting than have ultimate grip. In these cars pretty much any square set-up allows you to run great lap times.
That's what's got me so interested in the new Firestone for the non-srs bzns enthusiasts. I'm thinking it's a new version of a high treadwear rated performance tire that would perform like the Comp 2 and others like it for cheap. The new Kumho is another one.

It'll be good to hear what Simmons has to say once he has some miles on them.

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
(*cough* sponsr *cough* ship *clearthroat*)

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
That's what's got me so interested in the new Firestone for the non-srs bzns enthusiasts. I'm thinking it's a new version of a high treadwear rated performance tire that would perform like the Comp 2 and others like it for cheap. The new Kumho is another one.

It'll be good to hear what Simmons has to say once he has some miles on them.
Better catch that soon as I predict his car will be for sale in less than three months. In fact, if you have a friend who is jonesin' for green Stang, I'd put him in touch since he tends to sell his cars fairly reasonably priced.

OP
OP
Spartan_Stang

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
Hmm I haven't heard any "NO don't get that" so I'll probably see what my budget is at the time of purchase and get what I can afford. It will most likely be the Sumitomo

Another question on the harness, am I able to use a harness without Recaros in the car? If not, whats my best option for keeping me in my seat at AutoX

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
fwiw I really really like that tire but have yet to try it on the Mustang - only familiar with s2000 use.

If I had to pick my guess at the best all around (non rain/snow) tire, that would probably be it. I wish they made them in 305's.

In the Mustang, I heard they get less grippy in HPDEs after about 6-10 min (based on comments)
Well, not that I've noticed. Grip seems pretty consistent through 20 minute sessions. I do try to keep the pressures low (sub 35psi).

I am familiar with tires getting slippery with heat or over-pressure on other tires/cars. PZeros for instance...

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
(*cough* sponsr *cough* ship *clearthroat*)
:cheers: Talking to someone who has zero funding and time available for track time due to massive inventory investment of late, I'll make a deal with you. You pay for all my inventory and I will front you a set of tires ;)
Sponsored