Fender install

Billy2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Does anyone know what this is behind the fenders?
Had a tough time getting to the 2 bolts behind it to remove fender.The how to videos I watched on the fender removel didn’t have this behind the fenders,it’s looks like some kind of an absorber or vibration eliminator. It could easily be removed, but I don’t wanna do nothing till I know what this is,thanks.

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg
Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Good question. Does it fit the contour of the fender well? If so it could be a combo vibration dampener and air diverter. It may also be there to comply with crash testing standards, in that a primary crash rating is impact to that area where the tire/wheels would be prone to be driven in toward the cabin.

As substantial as it looks it could indeed be for energy absorption, so I would definitely ensure it is in place if I were reassembling the car.

OP
OP
Billy2015GT

Billy2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Good question. Does it fit the contour of the fender well? If so it could be a combo vibration dampener and air diverter. It may also be there to comply with crash testing standards, in that a primary crash rating is impact to that area where the tire/wheels would be prone to be driven in toward the cabin.

As substantial as it looks it could indeed be for energy absorption, so I would definitely ensure it is in place if I were reassembling the car.
Yes,I found out there vibration dampers,may also be to comply with crash testing standards like you said and there in convertibles only.I was told I don’t need to reinstall them,but I’m going to anyway,it‘s not worth taking a chance with something like this.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Everything I've seen that looks like that in the past has been a vibration dampener. It is there to tame a resonance in the body. No guarantees that is what it is in this case but that would be my guess. You can leave it out but Ford put it in and took the mileage penalty for a reason.
Sponsored