Sponsored

FBO 2018 Dyno tune test: Lund vs Palm Beach Dyno

Abomb210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Was able to test both tunes on my 2018 Mustang GT 6 speed Manual transmission. 90 degree day on a dynojet. Car has JLT, Texas speed catless headers, MBRP catback exhaust and E85. Did both tune pulls at 190 degree cylinder head temperature.

Enjoy:

Sponsored

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
Thanks for posting this; it's hard to get a quantitative comparison of the different tunes out there. What's interesting is that they're pretty much the same... within a slight margin of error.

OP
OP
Abomb210

Abomb210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Yep they were very similar. When we did the first pull with the Lund tune my buddy asked if I loaded the right tune lol

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
So there’s basically no difference? Wow, who knew?

I don’t understand why people get so hung up on tuners. It’s like a religion around here. An engine combo can only take so much timing and fuel. And yes, I used to self tune my 2014 GT with HP Tuners so I understand what variables there are and what they are changing. It was a nightmare but I wanted to learn. Find a shop that is reputable (both of the shops in this comparison are) and that you are comfortable with then go with it.

@Abomb210 I’m not hating in you at all. I do appreciate that someone did this and shared. I just don’t like the overall climate of tunes/tuners in the Mustang world. It’s too secret and cult like.

Thanks for posting. I hope this calms down the “WhIcH ToOnEr Iz BeSt” threads. The reputable ones are all good.

OP
OP
Abomb210

Abomb210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT

I don’t understand why people get so hung up on tuners. It’s like a religion around here. An engine combo can only take so much timing and fuel. And yes, I used to self tune my 2014 GT with HP Tuners so I understand what variables there are and what they are changing. It was a nightmare but I wanted to learn. Find a shop that is reputable (both of the shops in this comparison are) and that you are comfortable with then go with it.

@Abomb210 I’m not hating in you at all. I do appreciate that someone did this and shared. I just don’t like the overall climate of tunes/tuners in the Mustang world. It’s too secret and cult like.

Thanks for posting. I hope this calms down the “WhIcH ToOnEr Iz BeSt” threads. The reputable ones are all good.
This is one of the reasons we did it also. I was curious myself which would make more also differences between the two. Both feel strong. I’ve heard the claims by both sides/fanboys so I did my own unbiased comparison

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
This is one of the reasons we did it also. I was curious myself which would make more also differences between the two. Both feel strong. I’ve heard the claims by both sides/fanboys so I did my own unbiased comparison
Thanks again for doing it. I’m glad it’s pretty clear the good ones are all good.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Palm beach’s tune feels smoother in regular city driving IMO.

Thanks that's what really matters.

Otherwise data log at the track and have the tuner make a KILL MODE tune. LOL Driveability may suffer but I still swear the transmission tuning and torque management can make or break the setup IMO.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

You’re right, there’s only so much timing and fuel the engine can take BUT...
Cam timing is one thing that can separate one tuner from another.
Drivability is another, whether that be shift strategy, throttle response, or whatever parameter you care to mention.
It’s all well and good making all the power but if it drives like shit, it’s pointless unless your sole purpose is drag racing.
If you’re boosted, it then becomes a case of how far your tuner is willing to push it, particularly if you’re on 93.
From personal experience I can tell you that one of the big names won’t push the engine very hard. That’s their call, it’s their tuning that gets the blame if the engine shits. I went and found a tuner that offered more (and it does) but it drives like shit. Would not recommend.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the top tuners will be very close in peak numbers. There are differences in where the power is. There are also tuners who make changes to torque management and the power is applied differently.
I have AED and Lund tunes. Both are great and both are different. The AED feels more raw, likely due to less torque management.
The AED has way louder cold starts, but also takes a few seconds to start when at operating temperature. Lund is the opposite. It starts up like a factory tune everytime.

Last edited:

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1

The tuner pissing contest isnt just a thing in the Mustang world. It is every make/model vehicle that can be tuned, always a tuner war. The Mustang world is actually very tame compared to the Mopar truck world. It gets brutal with them. Guys literally threatening to drive 6+ hrs from home to fight 1 another....over differences in who they think tunes better. The fighting amongst themselves has pretty much destroyed the Hemi truck fb pages & forums.

OP
OP
Abomb210

Abomb210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
The tuner pissing contest isnt just a thing in the Mustang world. It is every make/model vehicle that can be tuned, always a tuner war. The Mustang world is actually very tame compared to the Mopar truck world. It gets brutal with them. Guys literally threatening to drive 6+ hrs from home to fight 1 another....over differences in who they think tunes better. The fighting amongst themselves has pretty much destroyed the Hemi truck fb pages & forums.
The shop rivalry is real here too. It was literally one of the reasons I got off social media. People take it too seriously

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Was able to test both tunes on my 2018 Mustang GT 6 speed Manual transmission. 90 degree day on a dynojet. Car has JLT, Texas speed catless headers, MBRP catback exhaust and E85. Did both tune pulls at 190 degree cylinder head temperature.

Enjoy:

Thanks OP, a buddy of mine is running Lund and I have PBD, our differences are minimal and the power adjusted fairly closely ( unrevised PBD 463hp/418tq @7000 vs. Lund 472hp/408tq @7800). I agree it still drives very smooth as a daily in comparison to my old VMP tune.
Sponsored