Factory Shaker Sub Woofer replacement?

19 GT Premium

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I want to replace the woofer in a Shaker factory sub box for an upgraded woofer. I took the factory woofer out of the enclosure, but it looks like some kind of proprietary speaker. It has blade terminals on two sides of the speaker, with two wires each. Two red on one side, and two blue on the other. I haven't seen a speaker like this before. There is no ohm indicators on the speaker either.
Any thoughts?

ETA...
I discovered the "Dual Coil" subs online. Question now is which one. Measurements on the factory speaker shows a 7.5" paper cone, and 8.5" frame size. It seems I have a choice between dual 4 ohm, or dual 2 ohm coils. What is the suggested replacement using the factory shaker amp? I'm guessing the factory speaker is considered an 8" speaker?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I thought about upgrading also, but by converting to a 10" somehow, like an adapter of some sort...

Paul K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Recaro
I want to replace the woofer in a Shaker factory sub box for an upgraded woofer. I took the factory woofer out of the enclosure, but it looks like some kind of proprietary speaker. It has blade terminals on two sides of the speaker, with two wires each. Two red on one side, and two blue on the other. I haven't seen a speaker like this before. There is no ohm indicators on the speaker either.
Any thoughts?

ETA...
I discovered the "Dual Coil" subs online. Question now is which one. Measurements on the factory speaker shows a 7.5" paper cone, and 8.5" frame size. It seems I have a choice between dual 4 ohm, or dual 2 ohm coils. What is the suggested replacement using the factory shaker amp? I'm guessing the factory speaker is considered an 8" speaker?

Thanks!
I replaced my Shaker factory sub with this https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW2002D2-8-inch-Shallow-Mount-Subwoofer/dp/B00JQTU434
It's a dual 2 ohm.
It made a substantial improvement in bass response.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget to polyfill the box for some extra thump.
and +1 on the RF Punch.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a direct replacement or did you have to fabricate an adapter for it to fit?
Direct fit, plug and play. also, order the protective grill.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dual voice coil 4 ohm

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Is the factory sub 4 ohm? The link in post 4 of this thread is for 2 ohm Punch. How much difference will that make? I don’t want to damage the factory amp.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can go with either one, won't make a huge difference with that small factory amp.

Harrry

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You can go with either one, won't make a huge difference with that small factory amp.
That's not true. I've heard on the web the Ford sub amp is rated at 75 watts (I intend to measure it soon). So with a 4 ohm sub, the amp needs to deliver 17.3 Volts RMS at 4.33 amperes. Verify by Ohms law, Watts = Volts x Amps or 17.3 x 4.33 = ~75 watts

To get the same 75 watts at 2 ohms, the amp needs to deliver 12.3 Vrms at 6.1 amperes, or 12.25 x 6.13 = 75 watts. The amp will need to come up with 41% more current to drive the lower impedance, but if its not designed for this the 2 ohm load may cause it to fail.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP