Sponsored

Factory Brembo Rotors and Pads?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
How are the Performance Pack factory pads and rotors? I bought them to install with a pair of Brembo calipers I also bought to upgrade my stock GT 4 piston brakes. Should I have went with an aftermarket pad/rotor setup? It will be a daily driver 99.99% of the time, but can they handle an occasional autocross or track day?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Top question - do you have base-GT design rotors (air is drawn from the wheel side, not so good for shedding heat) or PP rotors (back side air inlet)?

Norm

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have tracked and weekend(7k total miles) the factory GT Performance Pack brakes all year(11 events so far) and still have a little life left. I am swapping out another set of stock pads before my last two events.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top question - do you have base-GT design rotors (air is drawn from the wheel side, not so good for shedding heat) or PP rotors (back side air inlet)?

Norm
Right now I have the stock 4 piston GT calipers and the 14" stock rotors with the front vent. For the upgrade I bought the stock 15" rotors with the rear vent from the Performance Pack cars.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have tracked and weekend(7k total miles) the factory GT Performance Pack brakes all year(11 events so far) and still have a little life left. I am swapping out another set of stock pads before my last two events.
Thank's. Was hoping to hear that since I already bought the pads. I didn't want to run anything that would be noisy on the street.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Pads are great for the street, autox, and semi-OK for moderate track day use. If the driver or track are hard on the brakes, you can definitely fade and glaze the stock pads, but it takes some effort to do so.

Stock pads are kinda dusty FWIW. Some of the aftermarket pads are a bit better at low dust.

Rotors are good to go, no issues.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For the upgrade I bought the stock 15" rotors with the rear vent from the Performance Pack cars.
Stock PP rotors . . . you'll be fine.

Norm

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just picked up my rotors today, do they make these thing out of lead?! I kind of wish I went for a lighter 2 piece set. haha How much difference do lighter rotors really make in acceleration?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not nearly as much as most people want to believe. Keep in mind that all this weight is all at relatively small radii from the axle center, and is being accelerated (rotationally) at the slowest rate in the entire drivetrain due to overall gearing. I ran some comparative numbers once, and I think it worked out to where 5 lbs/rotor times 4 was about the same as 30 lbs worth of barbell plates inside the car itself. Call it 40 lbs if you want to be 'conservative' in your estimate.

Norm

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I went from Base GT 4 piston to Brembo + Steeda 2-piece rotors and I think lost 4-5 lbs per corner. Weight difference not really noticeable to me, at least with my street driving. I bought these cause I didn't want to look at rusty rotors and with my yearly mileage they're gonna be on the car a long time.

Sponsored

cmorrigo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT
How are the Performance Pack factory pads and rotors? I bought them to install with a pair of Brembo calipers I also bought to upgrade my stock GT 4 piston brakes. Should I have went with an aftermarket pad/rotor setup? It will be a daily driver 99.99% of the time, but can they handle an occasional autocross or track day?
I just bought a used set of Brembos from Shelby to put on my 2016 base GT. Any words of wisdom regarding installation and additional parts required? Thank you, Craig

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought a used set of Brembos from Shelby to put on my 2016 base GT. Any words of wisdom regarding installation and additional parts required? Thank you, Craig
I don't have mine installed yet, but you'll want to look into the performance pack dust shields and front brake hardware kit (if it doesn't come with them), I bought the pins and clips for both sides for $17.99 from Optimum Performance. Other than that, just rotors, calipers, and pads. It should bolt right up. You can use the existing brake hoses and caliper mounting bolts. The most difficult part for me will be bleeding the brakes. There are a few install videos on Youtube.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The most difficult part for me will be bleeding the brakes. There are a few install videos on Youtube.
Anybody who can follow directions about when to push the brake pedal down, hold it, and release it is really all you need. I've enlisted help from various family members (like, whoever was available at the moment). Son-in-law has had his daughter working the brake pedal when she was 12.

Norm

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Factory pads are fine, even for a beginner on track day. Factory rotors are all that I use (until I can afford 2-piece fancy pants rotors). I have cracked (albeit very minor) aftermarket rotors from Powerstop in one Road Atlanta track day.

FISH_L3G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT pp in Competition Orange, 86 Corvette, 2012 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2015 GT with the PP, car runs well but the dang Brembos on this thing squeak like there is no tomorrow. I have pulled the wheels and checked the pads and calipers and they have ample life left in them and was able to confirm they are original to the car as it has relatively low miles (30,000). I spoke with my service advisor that I actually trust and have a good relationship with over the years and he stated that is a common complaint with the PP Brembos. What have yall done to get these dang breaks to stop squeaking? i have also tried
Sponsored