GN34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Perimeter Alarm

What capabilities does the Active Anti-Theft System found in 43S add to the standard Perimeter Alarm?
Sponsored

StangFX

The "Passive" alarm system involves things like coded keys with NFC that deters auto theft without having to take any specific actions. The "Active" alarm system uses proximity sensors, motion detectors to alert on intrusion and theft and is much more advanced (detect when someone reaches inside the car, for example, aimed at more than theft of the car itself).

^ from another thread/user that mentioned the differences.

mustangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Those of you getting a 2015 Mustang in any flavor, did you get the security package that includes the alarm or are you going to put an aftermarket one on it?

Actually, I guess the question could be answered by anyone really. $400 for the factory alarm, or $??? for some dude at Best Buy to put one in?

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
I think there is already an alarm installed. The security package (i believe) upgrades the alarm on the vehicle.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I have the security package in my 2010. I wasn't interested at first, but since I've had it, I am glad I got it. Here are the details of what it is and does.

"NOTE: The Smart Junction Box (SJB) is also known as the Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

NOTE: The convertible top (if equipped), the luggage compartment lid, and all doors must be closed for the interior motion sensing feature to activate.

NOTE: The perimeter alarm system includes a motion detection system that monitors the vehicle interior and a vehicle inclination sensor that detects changes in vehicle inclination.

NOTE: The inclination sensing feature must be disarmed before raising the vehicle on a hoist to prevent false alarms.

The perimeter alarm system consists of:

Anti-theft hood switch (located in the right front corner of the engine compartment)
Convertible top ajar switch (if equipped) (located behind the RH side of the rear seat)
Door ajar switches (part of the door latch)
Door disarm switch (driver door only) (part of the door latch)
Door lock control switch
Intrusion and inclination sensor (located in the overhead console)
Luggage compartment lid ajar switch (part of the luggage compartment lid latch)
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter
Traffic horn
Body Control Module B (BCM-B)
SJB

The anti-theft perimeter alarm feature is controlled by the SJB. The perimeter alarm system is designed to warn the driver in the event of an unauthorized entry to the vehicle and is also designed to help prevent the unwanted towing of the vehicle. When the vehicle is locked and armed, the perimeter alarm system monitors the following:

Doors
Hood
Luggage compartment lid
Movement inside the vehicle
Variations in vehicle inclination/tilt
If an unauthorized activation of the above inputs occurs (an activation occurring with the system armed), the system flashes the turn signals and sounds the traffic horn.

The interior motion detection and vehicle inclination sensing systems operate only when the vehicle is locked using the RKE transmitter or when using the door lock control switch with the accompanying door open and both doors are then closed. For vehicles with a convertible top, the top must be fully closed and latched for the interior motion sensing system to arm. If the vehicle is locked using the key in the driver door lock cylinder, the system monitors the doors, the luggage compartment lid and the hood, but the interior motion and the vehicle inclination sensing does not arm. If necessary, the vehicle inclination sensing and the interior motion sensing features will not arm if both doors are locked using the manual push buttons, then closing the door, or using the manual push button on the passenger door and then locking the driver door with the key in the door lock cylinder. The former step will not cause any part of the perimeter alarm to be armed, while the latter step arms the perimeter alarm, but not the interior motion and vehicle inclination sensing features. For correct operation of the interior motion detection system, all the windows must be closed prior to arming the system. This prevents accidental alarm activation due to external influences and makes sure that correct interior motion detection occurs. The interior motion sensing system does not arm if either door is ajar.

The BCM-B sends a message over the local interconnect network to the intrusion and inclination sensor to disarm if the SJB is commanded to open the luggage compartment lid, or open a window or unlock the door locks. If any of these events occurs, the SJB sends a message over the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) to the BCM-B, which signals the intrusion and inclination sensor to disarm.

Arming the System

When armed, the perimeter alarm system is designed to notify the driver of an unauthorized entry. When an unauthorized entry or towing occurs, the system flashes the turn signal lamps and interior lamps and sounds the anti-theft alarm horn and the traffic horns. The system is ready to arm whenever the key is out of the ignition lock cylinder. Any of the following actions arm the alarm system:

Pressing the RKE transmitter lock control one time to arm the system
Locking all the doors using the door lock control switch while the driver or passenger door is open, and then closed
Locking the driver door with the key in the driver door lock cylinder (this does not arm the interior motion or vehicle inclination sensing systems)
NOTE: Deactivating an activated alarm by pressing the PANIC button on the RKE transmitter returns the system to an armed state.

NOTE: Opening the luggage compartment lid inhibits the interior motion and inclination sensing systems, but the perimeter alarm continues to monitor the doors and hood. Once the luggage compartment lid is closed, the interior motion sensing system is again monitored.

If all the closures (doors, luggage compartment lid and hood) are closed, the turn signal lamps flash once if the LOCK button on the RKE transmitter is pressed once. If the vehicle is locked again within 3 seconds using the RKE transmitter, the vehicle locks again, the turn signal lamps flash and the horn chirps. If any closure is not correctly closed, the turn signal lamps do not flash, the horn chirps twice, and the perimeter alarm will not arm. The system waits 20 seconds after the vehicle has been correctly locked before arming the perimeter alarm. After the 20 second pre-arm phase, the door lock control switch is disabled to further protect the vehicle.

Disarming the System

The perimeter alarm system can be disarmed by:

unlocking the doors using the RKE transmitter.
unlocking the driver door with the key in the driver door lock cylinder.
turning the ignition key to the ON position with a programmed Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) ignition key."

That's a lot of capability for the price. No Best Buy person needed to install it.

I ordered it on this one.

Sponsored

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
Holy information, Batman!

Thanks Tony!

GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V-6
Perimeter Alarm System

Does anyone know how this alarm works? Seems like from the pic below there are sensors that detect if someone is near car? Also not sure if this comes standard on Premium or is part of enhanced security pack.

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
It seems like it would be nice if the interior motion sensor could be set with the top down on a convertible. I know Audi was doing this 15 years ago. I park my car with the top down frequently enough, depending on where I am. I rarely mess around with removing the top boot to put the top up unless it rains.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
How cool is it that the ESP also gives you an electronic locking center console!

The little things I tell ya....

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Those of you getting a 2015 Mustang in any flavor, did you get the security package that includes the alarm or are you going to put an aftermarket one on it?

Actually, I guess the question could be answered by anyone really. $400 for the factory alarm, or $??? for some dude at Best Buy to put one in?
Neither.

There is nothing more annoying in the world that a car alarm that blares over and over and over and over and over again for hours on end, and I don't want to be that guy whose car annoys the entire neighborhood. And since I normally have to park several blocks away from my apartment to find a parking spot, it's not like I could even hear it going off and go shut it off.

So, since I refuse to be that guy, there will be no proximity / vibration / intrusion alarm on my car.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
How cool is it that the ESP also gives you an electronic locking center console!

The little things I tell ya....
Does the center console of the non-alarmed car still key-lock or lock some other way? My 2011 locks with the ignition key, which obviously these cars don't have, and that's a really useful feature for keeping things locked up when you get pulled over.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
A few years ago, a neighbor had a new car with a 'touch sensor alarm'. Some nights, kids would bike down the street touching cars to see if they could get the alarms to go off.
My neighbor's car alarm would wake up the neighborhood. Eventually another neighbor had had enough...he bashed out the windshield, no one snitched on him. The touch alarm was permanently shut off!
Sponsored