Extended Warranty Recommendation

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
Hi Everyone! Which company offers the best extended warranty? I would like to get one for the powertrain eventually. Thank you!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi Everyone! Which company offers the best extended warranty? I would like to get one for the powertrain eventually. Thank you!
Flood Ford is the oldest where most go for their Ford ESP.

One thing to mention when buying any Ford ESP - it runs concurrently with the factory 3/36 Bumper to Bumper and the 5/60 Powertrain.

So if you’re buying any Ford ESP or even “aftermarket” plan from XYZ Warranty Co. to get the best bang for your buck, get the one that covers the most Mi/Year - otherwise your just flushing money down the toilet.

The Ford Warranties always work in this manner:

3/36 Bumper to Bumper

5/60 Powertrain (engine, trans and rear). This also runs concurrently with the 3/36 - so think of it as really a 2/24. Meaning, after your 3/36 is up, anything Powertrain related is still covered for another 2/24 (whichever comes first).

If buying an ESP or aftermarket on a BRAND NEW car - get one that is a 7/150 or 8/150, whichever is the longest term at the moment (the Plans keep changing the coverage every so many years).

So think of it like this - if you opt to buy into a 7/75 on a brand new car - your 3/36 comes first, so essentially 4/39 is what you are really purchasing...

Also think about your driving style and use - will you burn through the mileage first before the years - or even the car sits mainly, will you burn through the years before the mileage....

Don’t waste your cash - really think about it before buying. An ESP is really beneficial to folks who:

1) drive a lot
2) intend on keeping the vehicle past 5 years

Also too - be sure you know what is NOT covered in whatever ESP you opt to buy into! It’s not really what is covered, it’s what is NOT that will get you later if you thought a costly repair was covered and come to find out it’s not... Read ALL the fine print....

Last edited:
OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Flood Ford is the oldest where most go for their Ford ESP.

One thing to mention when buying any Ford ESP - it runs concurrently with the factory 3/36 Bumper to Bumper and the 5/60 Powertrain.

So if you’re buying any Ford ESP or even “aftermarket” plan from XYZ Warranty Co. to get the best bang for your buck, get the one that covers the most Mi/Year - otherwise your just flushing money down the toilet.

The Ford Warranties always work in this manner:

3/36 Bumper to Bumper

5/60 Powertrain (engine, trans and rear). This also runs concurrently with the 3/36 - so think of it as really a 2/24. Meaning, after your 3/36 is up, anything Powertrainrelated is still covered for another 2/24 (whichever comes first).

If buying an ESP or aftermarket on a BRAND NEW car - get one that is a 7/150 or 8/150, which ever is the longest term at the moment (the Plans keep changing the coverage every so many years).

So think of it like this - if you opt to buy into a 7/75 on a brand new car - your 3/36 comes first, so essentially 4/39 is what you are really purchasing...

Also think about your driving style and use - will you burn through the mileage first before the years - or even the car sits mainly, will you burn through the years before the mileage....

Don’t waste your cash - really think about it before buying. An ESP is really beneficial to folks who:

1) drive a lot
2) intend on keeping the vehicle past 5 years

Also too - be sure you know what is NOT covered in whatever ESP you opt to buy into! It’s not really what is covered, it’s what is NOT that will get you later if you thought a costly repair was covered and come to find out it’s not... Read ALL the fine print....
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is very helpful to make a decision before I buy. I'm only thinking of getting one when the factory one is about to expire (miles/years). Is that okay?

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
when I bought my extended warranty from Flood, (just like you, right before my factory warranty ended), I said, hell I'm a pretty good wrench, was a mechanic for years, but that was years ago. I dont need the lighting package added, changing a lightbulb is nothing for me. Well, I just had my drivers side rear taillight assembly fail, its an entire assembly. Its over 600 bucks if you buy it off the net and replace it yourself, the msrp on the taillight is over 900. It made me buy an aftermarket pair for about 500. So you may want to consider things like this for adding the "lighting package".

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
when I bought my extended warranty from Flood, (just like you, right before my factory warranty ended), I said, hell I'm a pretty good wrench, was a mechanic for years, but that was years ago. I dont need the lighting package added, changing a lightbulb is nothing for me. Well, I just had my drivers side rear taillight assembly fail, its an entire assembly. Its over 600 bucks if you buy it off the net and replace it yourself, the msrp on the taillight is over 900. It made me buy an aftermarket pair for about 500. So you may want to consider things like this for adding the "lighting package".
ESP Premium is worth its weight in gold just for the lighting assemblies alone. The fronts are even more expensive.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm only thinking of getting one when the factory one is about to expire (miles/years). Is that okay?
Yes, you can wait if you want. I bought mine at 35k miles. I believe there may be a savings if bought within the first year or so. Check the Flood website.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Indeed, but as previously mentioned, the lighting package is EXTRA, even on the ESP premium plan. The other good thing about it is it's backed by Ford, it's transferable for a $75 fee, and the unused (prorated) part is refundable, minus a $75 fee. It's the only service contract I'd consider.

SilverSurfer98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Vehicle(s)
2007 ShelbyGT CSM 07SGT0654, 2013 GT500, 2020 Shelby 350R
Vehicle Showcase
All really good info. Thank you.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Indeed, but as previously mentioned, the lighting package is EXTRA, even on the ESP premium plan. The other good thing about it is it's backed by Ford, it's transferable for a $75 fee, and the unused (prorated) part is refundable, minus a $75 fee. It's the only service contract I'd consider.
Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored