Sponsored

Exhaust developed a rasp.

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Hi everyone! I have a MAgnaflow axleback on my GT, which I love. In the past week however it has developed an annoying rasp between 3,5-5k rpm and it only manifests itself under load not when stationary. I’ve driven more than 30k km with it on and never had this issue.

What are the usual culprits for this happening? Anyone ever had this happen until now? Thanks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance your cats are on their way out?

OP
OP

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT manual LB
Any chance your cats are on their way out?
I never touched the cats. The car has 42k km on it. Seems a bit early. Is it possible to test the cats? Thanks.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Hi Emix, if possible, could you take a video of the sound you are referring to? It's uncommon to hear of the sound changing noticeably like that so long after the initial break-in period. It suggests that something may be going on with one of the components in your exhaust system.

We would recommend taking a look under the car to inspect the entire length of the exhaust (stock and aftermarket parts) for any abnormalities. If the cats are going bad, you will normally get a check-engine light, but you can also unbolt them and inspect the honeycomb inside to look for cracks or signs of overheating. If the honeycomb is breaking up, you will usually see remnants of dust or particles inside the exhaust. If there is anything else we can do to help, please give us a call at 1-800-990-0905!

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
My guess [s something broke loose, or the sound deadening material shifted inside the muffler.
Sponsored