Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Borla (not ford Performance) S - type Cat Back exhaust system. My initial impressions of the exhaust are that I love te sound at idle and the exhaust note when cruising,, but way too loud upon acceleration and highways speeds when speed is varying.. I did not think that the in cabin noise was going to be this loud based upon some of the CJ and AM videos.. I have decided that I cannot live with the in cabin resonance and noise, especially after a 3 hour drive to chicago..
Here are my options:
1. keep the S-type and dynamat the trunk and inside trunk lid (suggstion from my peformance shop where I had it installed
2. install the borla resonator (part 60561) which is supposed to quiet it down just a bit...
I called Borla twice....one guy told me tht adding the resonator will make it the touring model...while another said that this replacment resonator is not the same as the touring model and that it is actually an X pipe inside of the resonator which will keep the overall tone but reduce noise level by 20-30% which is about what I want to do....
I need some input,, should I do the resonator and see how it goes instead of messing with trying to sound dampen the trunk?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Borla (not ford Performance) S - type Cat Back exhaust system. My initial impressions of the exhaust are that I love te sound at idle and the exhaust note when cruising,, but way too loud upon acceleration and highways speeds when speed is varying.. I did not think that the in cabin noise was going to be this loud based upon some of the CJ and AM videos.. I have decided that I cannot live with the in cabin resonance and noise, especially after a 3 hour drive to chicago..
Here are my options:
1. keep the S-type and dynamat the trunk and inside trunk lid (suggstion from my peformance shop where I had it installed
2. install the borla resonator (part 60561) which is supposed to quiet it down just a bit...
I called Borla twice....one guy told me tht adding the resonator will make it the touring model...while another said that this replacment resonator is not the same as the touring model and that it is actually an X pipe inside of the resonator which will keep the overall tone but reduce noise level by 20-30% which is about what I want to do....
I need some input,, should I do the resonator and see how it goes instead of messing with trying to sound dampen the trunk?
Put this in:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80029

The Borla resonator is an H construction internally. The above will probably require cutting but will sound much closer to your S-type, just quite a bit less loud. Dampening through the trunk is useless.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Put this in:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80029

The Borla resonator is an H construction internally. The above will probably require cutting but will sound much closer to your S-type, just quite a bit less loud. Dampening through the trunk is useless.
thanks for the post.. I prefer to not cut and swap in other brands if possible.. I am extremely frustrated that I cannot get a consistent answer from Borla. As I mentioned... one guy told me it is the same part as the borla touring... another told me that it is for sure not and that it was an Xpipe design within the resonator and made exclusively for the s-type model...

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
It mellows out after time. It's such a drastic difference from stock. They just need to break in. Usually takes a few hundred miles. They are loud but certainly not obnoxious and no drone.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the post.. I prefer to not cut and swap in other brands if possible.. I am extremely frustrated that I cannot get a consistent answer from Borla. As I mentioned... one guy told me it is the same part as the borla touring... another told me that it is for sure not and that it was an Xpipe design within the resonator and made exclusively for the s-type model...
The resonator will swap right in. They don't have one with an X-pipe internal, only the H.

Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
The resonator from the Borla touring should be a direct swap and is an h pipe, not x pipe.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I have this same issue, but I have the touring catback. it's loud in the cabin. Way louder than I expected.

And it drones at 2k unfortunately.

I've talked to Borla about the drone at 2k RPM, and they've been pretty good to deal with. I won't get into everything, but their customer service has been top notch.

That being said, I've even tried to replace the Borla resonator with the stock resonator, and the interior cabin volume is basically the same. The mufflers are just always audible on the Borla system. So right now I'm running it as an axle back to see if I could reduce the interior volume, but even as an axle back, it's still too loud in the cabin for me.

I can roll the windows down, and it's the same volume. Weird...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have this same issue, but I have the touring catback. it's loud in the cabin. Way louder than I expected.

And it drones at 2k unfortunately.

I've talked to Borla about the drone at 2k RPM, and they've been pretty good to deal with. I won't get into everything, but their customer service has been top notch.

That being said, I've even tried to replace the Borla resonator with the stock resonator, and the interior cabin volume is basically the same. The mufflers are just always audible on the Borla system. So right now I'm running it as an axle back to see if I could reduce the interior volume, but even as an axle back, it's still too loud in the cabin for me.

I can roll the windows down, and it's the same volume. Weird...
Corsa will fix your interior volume issue. Much, much quieter than the Borla inside.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
There shouldn't be any resonance in the cabin. Double check all the hangers on the exhaust to make sure they are not touching anything but rubber. Also make sure your tips are sticking past the valence on all sides.

I have the s-types on mine, but with an h-pipe. After about 1,000 miles, they have mellowed down a little.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I've checked and rechecked everything with this system. more than once. I even swapped it when Borla sent me a replacement system. It resonates with the Borla resonator and with the stock resonator. Its the Borla mufflers, they are simply loud under any type of load. Cruising at 70 on the highway is brutal, the constant drone type resonation sucks.

Cruising under 2k around town is quiet, but any type of cruising above 2k is definitely not quiet.

But sound is relative to who hears it. Personally I don't like to hear a constant exhaust note, under load is fine but while cruising I want the car quiet.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've checked and rechecked everything with this system. more than once. I even swapped it when Borla sent me a replacement system. It resonates with the Borla resonator and with the stock resonator. Its the Borla mufflers, they are simply loud under any type of load. Cruising at 70 on the highway is brutal, the constant drone type resonation sucks.

Cruising under 2k around town is quiet, but any type of cruising above 2k is definitely not quiet.

But sound is relative to who hears it. Personally I don't like to hear a constant exhaust note, under load is fine but while cruising I want the car quiet.
My post above ^^^. You're not going to have cruise without the tone being present even if you resolve the drone issue you're having with Borla. It's the muffler design. The S-type mufflers just have significantly more interior volume at any speed and load.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I'm not sold on the Corsa tone though. I know about the quality etc. and the drone free tone, but it seems like more of a Euro tone to me, where I like the deeper tones

Josh/AWE

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost, GT
I'm not sold on the Corsa tone though. I know about the quality etc. and the drone free tone, but it seems like more of a Euro tone to me, where I like the deeper tones
I have something in mind that would likely suit your fancy :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is true, but the deeper tones have wavelengths that permeate through sound deadening much easier. It wakes up and is fairly deep when you get on the throttle, much more so than videos suggest.

Ref info [MENTION=18539]SoCalTim[/MENTION]...

theman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LongBed Tundra & M3 Convertible
Have a 2" ID stainless 26" length and capped-end pipe, welded to each of the dual exhaust pipes. Have the holes cut and the pipes welded on to run right alongside each rear muffler, they will intersect straight in perpendicular in between those two bends before the mufflers.

Nice clean install with space there, plus any decent exhaust place should be able to manage the job for about $100-150 easily in well under an hour.
This will cut the edge off, remove any drone, and quiet it down a tad all at once...without the hassle of reselling yours, getting a new exhaust, or installing a whole other resonator, all costing quite a bit more out of pocket.
Sponsored