• No:

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
OK, so who would potentially be interested in a track day at Silverstone?

I've been in touch with them and have some ballpark costs. Costs vary depending on day of the week and time of year. In summary;

• Exclusive day for M6G members on the International Circuit (Tues, Wed or Thur).
  • Run by Silverstone (signing on, admin etc etc) using their public liability insurance.
  • All medical and safety facilities.
  • Use of 'The Wing' (meeting room/tea/coffee/refreshments etc available).
  • Use of pit garages.
  • On-site fuel station operational.
  • Track availability 9am to 5pm (less 1hr for lunch).
  • 102db drive by limit (105db static, so I think most of our exhausts would be OK).
If we can get 50 people the cost would be around £400 each (maybe slightly under, possibly around £350 - it depends on how much Silverstone add for the public liability insurance, admin costs etc. which is an unknown at the moment.)

The international circuit is licenced for 50 cars so in theory we could run it as an open pit lane, but I would suggest dividing into 25 car sessions, so basically you would have a minimum of 4hrs of track time.

At the moment the question is, can we get 50 people? So if this would be of interest to you, please vote yes.
Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Track day? yes.

In my own Mustang? Er, no thanks.

If you're happy to bang your car round a track for 4 hours then more power to you, but for what I use mine for, that amount of track abuse is not going to do anything to delay all those inevitable rattles and squeaks and random noises that will eventually occur.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested, But, I went before, I hammered the Mustang I had in - It wasn't mine and I wanted to learn it's boundaries, 4 hours of intense driving in my own would be a bit of a push for a daily?

anubis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 with mods
I'd be interested, But, I went before, I hammered the Mustang I had in - It wasn't mine and I wanted to learn it's boundaries, 4 hours of intense driving in my own would be a bit of a push for a daily?
I'd be interested but not sure you'll get the numbers. Another option might be to choose a public track day and get some slots on that (as many car clubs do)

OP
OP

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I'd be interested but not sure you'll get the numbers. Another option might be to choose a public track day and get some slots on that (as many car clubs do)
Yep, piggy-backing on an open track day is an option. But with more cars arriving all the time I thought it might be worth seeing if we could get exclusive hire and make a proper day of it. But this is just a very preliminary survey of potential numbers to see if we can get the economics to stack up .... you've got to start the ball rolling somewhere!

Of course we don't necessarily need 50 people - could be more, could be less but obviously the price/track time goes up/down accordingly, so I think 50 is about the minimum required to give a good cost/track time ratio.

Probably worth asking friends and friends of friends - doesn't necessarily have to be all Mustangs, but hopefully if there are no complete strangers everyone will show a little bit of respect to other folks vehicles. We also have the option of opening it up to MOCGB and/or Focus RS owners club (if such a thing exists?), but we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves there! Let's see if there is any appetite at all from M6G first.

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just as a comparison (and I know that it's not anywhere near the same scale) a Marshall at Trac Mon in Anglesey told me it was about £1500 to exclusively hire their track for the day and that included marshalls and medics. He might've been wrong though, it does sound bloody cheap!

OP
OP

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
Just as a comparison (and I know that it's not anywhere near the same scale) a Marshall at Trac Mon in Anglesey told me it was about £1500 to exclusively hire their track for the day and that included marshalls and medics. He might've been wrong though, it does sound bloody cheap!
Yes, good suggestion. Not sure the price is right but I don't really know - depends which circuit layout you want to use I guess. It's obviously going to be cheaper than Silverstone (which is about £20k) but £1500 sounds mighty cheap. It's a nice little circuit, however you get what you pay for. The facilities at Silverstone are substantially better (for example, not sure there is an on-site fuel supply at Ty-Croes or Trac Mon or whatever they call it now) and more importantly the circuit safety at Silverstone is obviously good enough for F1. There are substantial tarmac run-off areas at Silverstone - go off at Anglesey and you don't have much grass to cross before you're into something pretty solid, and with a heavy car like a Mustang grass tends not to slow you down very much! Silverstone is also pretty central and accessible - not something you can say about Anglesey. One thing Silverstone can't compete with at Anglesey though are the views - look back towards mainland Wales and Snowdonia looks spectacular :)

I think we need to keep the choice simple at the moment though, just a yes or no for Silverstone. If it doesn't stack up numbers-wise, then we can explore other options.

ps .... I think there is also a 95db static limit at Anglesey, which would probably rule out any non-standard exhaust.

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
The cost seem very good - goodwood by example is 180 quid for half day with no open pit.

would love to go my main problem is during the week is pain as work abroad so a weekend is better.

anubis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
The cost seem very good - goodwood by example is 180 quid for half day with no open pit.

would love to go my main problem is during the week is pain as work abroad so a weekend is better.
I've been quoted Bedford Autodrome at £9,215 + VAT previously - could be an option. Insurance is cheaper too due to lots of grassy runoffs

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
A note to everyone here, especially those who haven't done track days before.

They are great fun but 4 hours track time does NOT mean 4 hours driving (well it shouldn't if you do it right!)

Track days are great fun, but should be approached correctly. Drive within your limits and within the cars limits. We all have street cars, with street setups (more or less).

Track day driving is all about limiting temperatures as overheating is what kills components on track days, be it brakes, tyres or the engine (or the driver! its tough out there! Major adrenaline surge!)

For example you can do an out lap to get up to speed/ warm up / re-learn the track, then 4 hot laps, then a cool down "smooth driving lap" with minimal braking and acceleration, then into the pits, and chill, or go and take a ride with a friend to further learn the track and watch their lines. You could do this 5 times for a total of say 30 laps, with no issues at all, and no real wear to talk about. Or you could go out, decide in your head you are the new Senna, do 30 hot laps in one stint and utterly wreck your tyres and brakes (and possibly more)

Also to everyone, be aware track day noise limits are more and more of an issue, so people with raucous exhausts beware!

BTW I reallly recommend people do trackdays / airfield days etc Fast driving in the UK is really best done on a track and it is super fun when done properly.

Steeda's motto is "proven on track and performing on the street" but we clearly know that the track is NOT the street and both should be approached responsibly and with due respect.

Sponsored

anubis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Agree with Steeda... I had to swap my Roush axle-backs back to the stock exhaust due to noise limits. I had adapters made up to cater for this as the stock exhausts don't just slot back on - they need sleeves and clamps. Stock exhaust measured 81db and Roush measured 104db+ at static test.

OP
OP

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I've been quoted Bedford Autodrome at £9,215 + VAT previously - could be an option. Insurance is cheaper too due to lots of grassy runoffs
Yep, another good shout - hadn't thought of Bedford. However, as with Anglesey, we might run into noise issues. Drive-by limit is only 87db, static 104bd. Does anyone with a resonator-delete cat-back have information on the noise levels of their car? I saw a noise meter in Maplins today - I was tempted to buy it just to get a feel for the db level of my car (Milltek cat-back X-pipe, K&N panel filter). Think I might go back tomorrow and get it.

A note to everyone here, especially those who haven't done track days before.

They are great fun but 4 hours track time does NOT mean 4 hours driving (well it shouldn't if you do it right!)

Track days are great fun, but should be approached correctly. Drive within your limits and within the cars limits. We all have street cars, with street setups (more or less).

Track day driving is all about limiting temperatures as overheating is what kills components on track days, be it brakes, tyres or the engine (or the driver! its tough out there! Major adrenaline surge!)

For example you can do an out lap to get up to speed/ warm up / re-learn the track, then 4 hot laps, then a cool down "smooth driving lap" with minimal braking and acceleration, then into the pits, and chill, or go and take a ride with a friend to further learn the track and watch their lines. You could do this 5 times for a total of say 30 laps, with no issues at all, and no real wear to talk about. Or you could go out, decide in your head you are the new Senna, do 30 hot laps in one stint and utterly wreck your tyres and brakes (and possibly more)

Also to everyone, be aware track day noise limits are more and more of an issue, so people with raucous exhausts beware!

BTW I reallly recommend people do trackdays / airfield days etc Fast driving in the UK is really best done on a track and it is super fun when done properly.

Steeda's motto is "proven on track and performing on the street" but we clearly know that the track is NOT the street and both should be approached responsibly and with due respect.
Thanks Dad! ..... only kidding ;). Sound advice. I've been thinking a little bit. If we managed to get enough folks for an exclusive day (maybe with the Focus RS guys), would Steeda be interested in coming along with a few demo parts/demo car that folks could try? .... a bit like a mini Goodwood moving motorshow :thumbsup:

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
We're always open to ideas... Also we are great believers in actual performance so stay tuned for some Steeda Trackday type news...... (dont hold your breath though, nothing imminent!)
Sponsored