ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
For that power level the standard G3 cooler will be plenty capable. Meth kit also wouldn’t be necessary at that power level. Unless you plan to heavily track the car the it might beneficial. Otherwise id suggest saving your money!
For my application would a basic g2 setup be adequate, as far as heat load is concerned?

Only intending to make 650-700 range.

Long tubes, gt350 tb/IM
Sponsored

WIST2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Do you have any data to share? HP, IAT, time slips, ambient temps etc? Any info would be helpful.
Id like to see this too before making a purchase.

Also what is the price if I already have a kit? $600 seems like the price to upgrade at time of purchase. I want to buy one outright.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Id like to see this too before making a purchase.

Also what is the price if I already have a kit? $600 seems like the price to upgrade at time of purchase. I want to buy one outright.
Lots of folks seem to be making 800whp with these kits which is great. A 1/4 timeslip and data log from such a car will give some insight.

WIST2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Lots of folks seem to be making 800whp with these kits which is great. A 1/4 timeslip and data log from such a car will give some insight.
Agreed. I can share a few logs (Dyno/Track/Pulley change) from my car with the G3 intercooler if someone is willing to share the G4 data.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
For my application would a basic g2 setup be adequate, as far as heat load is concerned?

Only intending to make 650-700 range.

Long tubes, gt350 tb/IM
I assume expressing you're application will help him determine what IC is adequate. Hard parking at a cruise in and driving like a grandpa, an intercooler may not be needed. If doing standing mile racing, then a huge a2a and bumper cover mods will be needed or a2w.

Asking what is adequate for 700hp does not offer much in terms of providing a solution.

Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I assume expressing you're application will help him determine what IC is adequate. Hard parking at a cruise in and driving like a grandpa, an intercooler may not be needed. If doing standing mile racing, then a huge a2a and bumper cover mods will be needed or a2w.

Asking what is adequate for 700hp does not offer much in terms of providing a solution.
Just a cruiser and street stuff.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a cruiser and street stuff.
I'm in Clay County. I'm in same as PC_GUARD. Car will be used for DD, cruises, & meets only. Will never see the track. 125 mm pulley & 600 streetable hp is goal. Also wife may drive it occassionally.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
There are many things to look at when beginning to determine what IC is needed for a specific application. Many have the need to upgrade and customize their setup to meet their need. But for most, the supplied IC units that come with kits across all brands will suffice. Here are a few things that can get someone started on determining what IC is needed for their application.

*note that all manufacturers run through their own processes to make that determination based on various thing related to performance, fitment, cost availability etc. *

Application, street and 1/8 mile will not require the cooling capacity a 1/4 car will need. Time is a big factor when talking intercoolers. Until you reach the point where exiting temps stabilize and start to come back down, the IC is simply a heat sink. It takes time for the IC core to absorb heat from the boosted air, and more time for the ambient air to absorb heat from the IC core. Do you have enough time for the process to happen?

Airflow, without airflow the ambient air cannot absorb the heat from the IC core. Are the bumper openings sufficient? How much of the core is exposed to those openings? How much air is actually moving through the core? Look at what for did with the gt500 bumper cover to improve cooler efficiency.

Fitment, can you fit an a2a IC that will meet your needs. If you determine that your application will dictate the IC will never stabilize temps and actually start to cool, the IC is a heat sink so the bigger the better. I can tell you that a 14in tall, 28in wide, 4.5 thick IC is about 65lbs so keep that in mind.

Physical location and season will effect ambient temps that you have to consider. Iat before and after IC will be considerably different at 45deg F and 30% humidity vs 98deg F and 85% humidity.

I have determined for my setup, 1/4 mile, limited street driving, 25psi, 1300whp that a2a alone was not going to cut it. Water meth would definitely be a good solution but I did not want another system. I chose to go with a2w as water transfers heat 24x faster. Its a semi custom deal i whipped up using a Tig vision bar, custom brackets and a mishimoto 1500hp a2w IC. Since I am centri, I do not have room for a HX so I will testing a variable speed IC pump setup to understand the tolerance of the system in various street driving scenarios. If that data is unfavorable, I can always use my original Procharger a2a for street use as the car will not likely see the iat load vs racing.

I'm not claiming to know anything, but wanted to share some very general info. I'm sure the engineers here will want to dive deeper, and that's fine as I like learning new things.

20220922_185154.jpg

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually I may do the 8 psi, 120 mm pulley. I do know that adding a bigger intercooler on my ecoboost Ranger caused me to lose some boost/spool time.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Actually I may do the 8 psi, 120 mm pulley. I do know that adding a bigger intercooler on my ecoboost Ranger caused me to lose some boost/spool time.
A reduction in boost pressure due to an IC with a larger core does not equal a loss of power.

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You'll need the 60mm long ones. Shameless plug, I'll have the 56lb injectors and BAP I was using last year for sale soon.
Quick ?. The Bosch 55#'s that are mid length won't fit? Got a set from member on here that used them with Whipple(came with kit).

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Quick ?. The Bosch 55#'s that are mid length won't fit? Got a set from member on here that used them with Whipple(came with kit).
I believe there are adapters you can get that will extend the injector. They just are caps that go over the end of the injector.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
A reduction in boost pressure due to an IC with a larger core does not equal a loss of power.
It does. It's thermodynamics. It affects crank driven superchargers the most, since the airflow is RPM driven only, not boost targeted like a turbocharger. If you do not pulley down to make up for the cooled volume that the compressor has to fill, you WILL lose power. Sure, your intake charge temperature will drop more, but if you don't increase airflow from the compressor at the same given RPM, or increase spark timing to make up for it, there is ZERO power to be gained.

Balance is key with A/A Intercooling based on your type of forced induction.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It does. It's thermodynamics. It affects crank driven superchargers the most, since the airflow is RPM driven only, not boost targeted like a turbocharger. If you do not pulley down to make up for the cooled volume that the compressor has to fill, you WILL lose power. Sure, your intake charge temperature will drop more, but if you don't increase airflow from the compressor at the same given RPM, or increase spark timing to make up for it, there is ZERO power to be gained.

Balance is key with A/A Intercooling based on your type of forced induction.
His example was a turbocharged ranger.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
His example was a turbocharged ranger.
The advantage of turbos sometimes does make it much easier. I'll just never go back myself. If I did, it would be a PROPERLY sized system, in which most people do not practice these days.
Sponsored