Engine running in and first oil change?

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Thing about the US is...they still love snake oil :)

Seriously, my mate who moved out to Austin would spend hours with his neighbours debating the benefits of 15- versus 20- versus 25-year paint for their weatherboard, which pesticide was best for fire-ants, etc....and everyone was convinced their solution was best. With running-in, there's an entire industry that feeds on that behaviour - where else in the World would people send off oil samples for analysis when running in a mass-produced road-car engine? And of course it will have some metal in it - bedding-in means wearing, right? I used to see the same paranoia on Corvette forums.
Sponsored

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
Too right.Everybody has their own opinion. One of the more convincing sites was a guy who built high performance motor cycle engines and had dyno figures from engines run in by his method and similar that weren't cant remember the site but quite interesting.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Took it easy for first 1000 miles or so, one or two showing off moments :sunglasses:

just followed Ford service intervals with no special intermediate changes. 55000 miles now no issues at all (apart from some myopic fool backing into the side of it in a car park, but that's another story...)

These things are made to be used. Worst thing you can do is leave it on the drive and look at it

Superleg48

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT Convertible
I ran in my Bullitt for about 1200 miles, pretty much followed the book. Variable speeds and revs, never more than around 4000-4500 rpm, no lugging etc etc. Had the oil and filter changed immediately after with recommended 5w/20 at Ford (as stated on the oil filler cap and in the book). All good so far. Check oil levels weekly. Don’t go heavy on the loud pedal until nicely warmed up.
Sponsored