Engine Masters type programs for Ford

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I upgraded my TV back in January and have a new to me channel called Motor Trend. One series of programs called Engine Masters has caught my attention. I have been saving lots of episodes. So far i have 42 episodes. Thing is they rarely do anything with ford engines. A Windsor episode was good to watch as i rebuilt a 351 Windsor a few decades ago. One other ford big block episode was featured.

My question is are there any such programs which show the same sort of experimenting on ford engines??? I may not get the channels but would like to watch more on Ford engines.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Seems to me someone built some very impressive '50s Y-block engines years ago. However, I think the shootout was covered by Hot Rod Magazine at the time, and was not in a video format. There were a lot of stout Ford engines built in the magazine article series.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Seems to me someone built some very impressive '50s Y-block engines years ago. However, I think the shootout was covered by Hot Rod Magazine at the time, and was not in a video format. There were a lot of stout Ford engines built in the magazine article series.
Hello; I have been watching episodes of the Engine Masters programs. It is all dyno stuff. Lots of things tested. Has helped me understand a few things. Most of the engines have been other brands than Ford. Much will apply to any engine but the theme I get from many episodes is things can be setup specific.
They do a lot of LS, small & big block chevy and mopar. My take some of this is because two of the three hosts bring their own engines which they have had around for many years. The third host seems to mainly run the dyno.

I have not had a chance to work on a ford engine since rebuilding a 351 W decades ago. I did have a 351 C for a while but had no reason to tear into it.

The Powernation series of programs do episodes with Ford engines which I like.

I think I knew of the Y block Ford in a friends 1957 sedan. Best i can recall he added a tube to better feed oil to some parts of the top of the engine.

Although my search is on hold currently, I have been looking at 1995 to 2000 Mustangs which have the 4.6 V8. That would be a preference. I also would like to see more about the Coyote engines.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
My question is are there any such programs which show the same sort of experimenting on ford engines??? I may not get the channels but would like to watch more on Ford engines.
Goodbye; YouTube (http://www.youtube.com)... I'd bet you get enough videos on this subject to last you decades... last one I watched was many blue moons ago... these guys rebuilt a an old 69 mustang... that video is lost to me though.

I'd argue many of the youtube channels are equal to or better than TV.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Goodbye; YouTube (http://www.youtube.com)... I'd bet you get enough videos on this subject to last you decades... last one I watched was many blue moons ago... these guys rebuilt a an old 69 mustang... that video is lost to me though.

I'd argue many of the youtube channels are equal to or better than TV.
Hello; I have used youtube before. Quality of the videos can vary a lot. some are decent while others are someone trying to hold a smart phone with one hand and trying to do work with the other.

The Engine Masters crew programs are well lit and well edited. I do not think they fudge the results so have some confidence in the results. My guess is there are some very well made you tube videos as well, I just do not know which ones to look for. Youtube may be the best option.

Guess I am most interested in the 4.6 V8 with the Coyote being a close second.

Sponsored

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Engine Master, Roadkill, Roadkill Garage rarely do ford engines. On one of the Engine Masters show Freiburger said that they base what they are working on base on the best sell products that Jegs (or maybe it was Summit) was selling. Idea behind it most people are working with these products, it turns out most of it is small block chev stuff. From what I understand LS swap are easy, when compared to coyote swaps.
As for Roadkill, Dodge is a sponsor (or was at some time). On Roadkill Garage they work on the cheapest projects, which turn out to be a lot of Dodge stuff.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Engine Master, Roadkill, Roadkill Garage rarely do ford engines. On one of the Engine Masters show Freiburger said that they base what they are working on base on the best sell products that Jegs (or maybe it was Summit) was selling. Idea behind it most people are working with these products, it turns out most of it is small block chev stuff. From what I understand LS swap are easy, when compared to coyote swaps.
As for Roadkill, Dodge is a sponsor (or was at some time). On Roadkill Garage they work on the cheapest projects, which turn out to be a lot of Dodge stuff.
Hello; I have watched 44 episodes so far. Have the new digital recorder set to record new episodes. I see what you are saying in the episodes but did not know why. One of the Steves is a big Mopar fan and some of his engines are used. Freiburger uses some of his own engines and they seem to be Chevy.

Thanks for the information. Makes sense.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Two things from this weekends shows (August 13 & 14). First is the POWERNATION show ENGINE POWER is building up a Ford Windsor. It will be a 410 stroker. I like most everything about the build except the low tension rings. I get how those rings reduce friction and heat. If the ring pack is durable and does not blow by oil then I am off base. I look forward to the episode on the dyno. I like a fat torque curve over pure top HP at high RPM. I do not drag race so Low to midrange torque for street driving.
That engine will be a giveaway. I have entered the sweepstake and place a curse on any one on this thread who wins over me.

The other TV thing is on one of the episodes of ENGINE MASTERS S7 E6 they were doing a solid flat tappet vs. solid roller cams. What I did notice is the 360 Mopar engine has a gear timing drive. There is a thread asking about gear timing drives.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Hello; I upgraded my TV back in January and have a new to me channel called Motor Trend. One series of programs called Engine Masters has caught my attention. I have been saving lots of episodes. So far i have 42 episodes. Thing is they rarely do anything with ford engines. A Windsor episode was good to watch as i rebuilt a 351 Windsor a few decades ago. One other ford big block episode was featured.

EMC absolutely hates anything Ford.
Their famous competition that gave them the name was dominated by Ford Engines.
You'll hardly ever find anything Ford and when you do the engine will be represented very poorly.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Hello; Two things from this weekends shows (August 13 & 14). First is the POWERNATION show ENGINE POWER is building up a Ford Windsor. It will be a 410 stroker. I like most everything about the build except the low tension rings. I get how those rings reduce friction and heat. If the ring pack is durable and does not blow by oil then I am off base. I look forward to the episode on the dyno. I like a fat torque curve over pure top HP at high RPM. I do not drag race so Low to midrange torque for street driving.
That engine will be a giveaway. I have entered the sweepstake and place a curse on any one on this thread who wins over me.

The other TV thing is on one of the episodes of ENGINE MASTERS S7 E6 they were doing a solid flat tappet vs. solid roller cams. What I did notice is the 360 Mopar engine has a gear timing drive. There is a thread asking about gear timing drives.
Low tension ring packages generally need a smog pump for crank case ventilation.
Stay away from timing gears........use a belt instead.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Although my search is on hold currently, I have been looking at 1995 to 2000 Mustangs which have the 4.6 V8. That would be a preference. I also would like to see more about the Coyote engines.
The 4.6 is a great engine, just underpowered. It will last forever. You can build it to be stout and throw forced induction at it and have a serious contender, but they are VERY expensive to build naturally aspirated and still won’t make big power.

1994-1995 models carried over the 5.0/302 from the Fox Body cars.

1996-1998 started using the 4.6 (“non performance improved”) and 1999-2004 used the “performance improved” engine.

Heads, cams and intake were different on the later engines to go from 215hp to 260hp.

They are still (to me) the best sounding modern Mustang engine with the right exhaust, along with the 4V 4.6 engines of the Cobra.

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The 4.6 is a great engine, just underpowered. It will last forever. You can build it to be stout and throw forced induction at it and have a serious contender, but they are VERY expensive to build naturally aspirated and still won’t make big power.

1994-1995 models carried over the 5.0/302 from the Fox Body cars.

1996-1998 started using the 4.6 (“non performance improved”) and 1999-2004 used the “performance improved” engine.

Heads, cams and intake were different on the later engines to go from 215hp to 260hp.

They are still (to me) the best sounding modern Mustang engine with the right exhaust, along with the 4V 4.6 engines of the Cobra.
Hello; Thanks for the information. Clears things up a lot. I had been looking at late model Mustangs with the Coyote mainly because of the rear IRS. When things started going bad in the new car markets, I started looking at the 1995 body style Mustangs. I just happen to like the look of those years. Also they are physically smaller overall- or appear to be smaller. The new Mustangs seem a large car.
The Cobra listings I see are a lot higher priced than a standard model.
I do also like the 1999-2004 body well enough and now see I will be ahead in performance somewhat.

A question. Is the early 4.6 any better in terms of fuel use for being relatively down in power compared to later engines? I tend to no longer drive as fast as in my younger days. I also have had some less powerful cars which handled well and learned to make the best of handling. I can perhaps live with less overall power if there is a benefit in MPG's.
This will be a third vehicle for me so MPG's are not a big priority. Just wondering if any advantage attaches to the 1994-1998 4.6 V8?
Sponsored