Sponsored

Emergency advice needed. Clutch gone, I think.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Are they taking the piss? I've seen cars (american and UK) that will go round clutch kicking the fuck out of them, doing burnouts... and they'll see their clutch degrade before it splits in fucking half.......... Fuck me.. Just seems like a "shit we dont want to admit fault on this".

Ford NL not warrantying it 'cuz it went to europe is a joke... so same company (give or take), you were in another country fuck do they want? you to go back to your homeland on it? Do they realise you couldn't drive the shit....

Lawyer up bro, this is gonna be a fun one. A long one because ford love dragging shit out. They'll give in eventually...

If LC and Line lock actually canned warranty, i believe legally they should have a warning of such, somewhere... Try and find it, if you can't, then "abuse" doesn't count. Equally, point them in the direction of guys with supercharged, cars with no issues, the guys who are raping their clutch 24/7 with no issues (Well, not like that)... I'm actually struglling to find cases of the above happening online... Surely a clutch shouldn't cut in half.

Feck me ford...
Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The only good news is that the total repair cost (Inc VAT) is ÂŁ960, a sum which I can stomach. That's for a new OEM clutch and slave/release bearing all fitted at Ford with a 12m warranty.

Good value. I'd just pay up and leave it at that. If you are otherwise busy then who needs the stress and time fighting Ford in the UK and Holland.
The gist of that statement I can 100% agree with.

My problem is that I often get a bit belligerent with these things and can struggle to let them go. I think it's worth a resubmission here in NL once it's all sorted, but beyond that I'm not sure I've got the time or energy to chase it.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The workshop manager at the dealership in the UK just sent me these:

Im out of my depth now, anything interesting to see?

Pressure plate and flywheel:

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
All looks good to me.. if that were mine and I was staying with a stock clutch I think i'd just replace the friction plate?

Just my 2p

Wildblood

'Andrew'
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
TY 'GT' Mustang.........'H1 OON'
They both look 'burnt' to me due to slipping friction plate.
I'd advise replace the lot while it's stripped down.
Also looks as though your cars been very wet due to the rust on the bellhousing.
Just my 'euro's worth.

Sponsored

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
I can't see anything scary there, it would be mad not to replace the pressure plate and release bearing while the 'box is out though.
A quick rub up with some emery paper and the flywheel face will be good to go by the look of it.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They both look 'burnt' to me due to slipping friction plate.
I'd advise replace the lot while it's stripped down.
Also looks as though your cars been very wet due to the rust on the bellhousing.
Just my 'euro's worth.
The rust isn't on the bellhousing exactly, it's on the cover plate that prevents the dirt from getting the bellhousing. Unfortunately Ford don't paint a lot of underbody components anymore, like propshaft, diff case, driveshafts etc. I will probably take all mine out and give them a good cost of paint and primer.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flywheel and pressure plate both have a score line in the same place. It looks like a rivet or two might possibly have been trapped.
Not sure they are score lines tbh, but could be wrong? I have also noticed that the rivets are on a pcd midway between the inner and outer diameters of the friction material, which is not where the scoring is.

I have had cars sat so long in the winter that the friction plate has literally rusted onto the flywheel or cover plate, or both. Once free'd off they have performed normally for many years. Let's face it, the clutch is really only doing anything when you pull away from a standstill. If you have a decent cover plate the clamping forces just lock everything up.

If this clutch has done less than 10000 miles I'd just replace the friction plate and the release bearing. If Ford were doing this on warranty they would only change the friction plate.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Could be wrong here... but I thought all warranties are supposed (under EU Law) to be pan-European and valid in all member states?

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The warranty is indeed Pan-European.

The problem(s) are arising because Ford dont seem to know their arse from their elbow. The way they handle the situation you'd almost believe this is the first time they've ever had to undertake a warranty repair in a different country.

They literally refuse to talk to each other and point the customer (me) in the other direction and wash their hands. Its a bit mental really.

At least the repair itself seems to be moving in the right direction. Waiting on the slave to come in to stock (if im lucky by Friday 31st Aug) and then ill come and get the car on the 2nd/3rd September.

If anyone else needs a clutch release bearing/slave in the near future, you might be on a sticky wicket as the one EH have ordered for me was the last one in Europe. Absolutely mental.

Hopefully next update from me will be to report car is back in one piece and I can go pick it up. :)

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Strange about the release bearing as when I mentioned the gearbox being an MT-72 when my noise was being investigated the tech said "oh no problems as that's the box fitted to the Transit so spares won't be a issue".

Might be worth mentioning that as you can be damn sure Ford have a Mustang parts bin that's almost empty and a Transit parts bin that's probably overflowing! :lol:

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange about the release bearing as when I mentioned the gearbox being an MT-72 when my noise was being investigated the tech said "oh no problems as that's the box fitted to the Transit so spares won't be a issue".
I also have one in my 2011 Land Rover Defender.:cheers:

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
The part im waiting on is this:

FINIS: 5312147

Im not sure that cross-reference to any Transit parts, but would LOVE to be shown otherwise :)

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Alrighty, picking it up Tuesday morning.... then making a mad dash for the Ferry in Dover. Working weds morning at 7am!!

The parts are already in, except (I think) they just realised one or more of the bolts are stretch bolts and of course cant be re-used.

The stretch bolts come in tomorrow, and then the car will be put back together on Monday. I pick it up on Tues morning.

Obviously relying on quite a few things going correctly there and no hiccups with the re-assembly.... but ive no choice. My schedule is chocka and this is my only chance in the next 6 weeks to get the car.

Fingers crossed!
Sponsored