Sponsored

Emergency advice needed. Clutch gone, I think.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Dropped the car at Evans Halshaw.

Won't be looked at until at least Wednesday. If they have parts in EU stock I'm looking at 2-3 weeks. If it's US delivery (in stock) it's 5-6 weeks. If it's US back order...... Who knows.

Now travelling as foot passenger back to NL on Wednesday with my 2yr old in tow. Then will be on the case of getting a replacement car back home in NL.

What a nightmare.

Does anyone know if these cars use a remote slave, or a fully concentric release bearing for example?
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Dropped the car at Evans Halshaw.

Won't be looked at until at least Wednesday. If they have parts in EU stock I'm looking at 2-3 weeks. If it's US delivery (in stock) it's 5-6 weeks. If it's US back order...... Who knows.

?
Sorry to hear of your trouble, hope it gets sorted out asap for you, I do know a company that has parts flown in on a weekly basis, so if the part is in the US to get it flown over, you should be looking at a few days?
Have you spoken to anyone on the US side to see if the part is available in the US

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Un-acceptable that is the same BS I got when my oil cooler failed, that things takes weeks to get delivered. If its in Spain/Germany they can have it over in 2 days and if its in USA they can do it within a week.

Tell them its a warranty repair, that means back on the road in no time and as such all parts have to be air freighted at Fords cost, why should you have to wait longer because Ford want to save money on parts, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKERS!

This is why I changed dealers, when my RHD cat pipe failed at flexi hose, they had the car up on the ramp as I arrived, they ordered the part within 2 minutes of wacking it with a rubber hammer. They then gave me bad news, the part is in US and out of stock. I asked if I bring you a spare one (thanks Mac), will you fit that under warranty and when the new one does land I will just pick it up, which was all fine.

The cat pipe itself took just over 2 weeks to come from USA as it was one of the first failures of its type, from looking at failed pipe seems a weld came lose inside the flexi which was resonating on the exhaust.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Got a replacement car until I leave the UK on Wednesday.

No Mustang, but not a 1.0 shitbox either, so happy enough.

Has been suggested by a few people that the juddering a few days ago could be a spring failure on the clutch plate.... That has then gone in to fuck it up completely.

Should know more by Wednesday or Thursday anyway.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Does anyone know if this is likely to be the first UK /EU clutch failure?
Really sorry to read about your problem [MENTION=21204]kapiteinlangzaam[/MENTION]. I think we all know how you feel...

I don't know if it's related to what happened to your car, but a friend of mine who drives a 2016 manual, had a problem with a transmission bearing. The car stayed at the dealership for over twon months because the part was in backorder. This guy was so frustrated with this situation, that he decided to sell his car. :mad:

Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Ive already lost a few hours of my life chasing phone calls etc both in NL and the UK.

As of writing this, Ford UK and the dealer still havent heard from anybody in NL in any capacity about what to do with the car.

Ford UKs advice to the dealer was to not touch it and request it to be removed back to NL in one piece. I really dont want that, as I guess itll be a 2 or 3 week wait just to have it lifted.

Luckily for me, the senior service advisor at Evans Halshaw is a lovely lady, seems happy and ready to help and doesnt mind being proactive :) Ive been down there this morning and spoken with her at length. Unless someone specifically calls her and demands that the car isnt touched, they will start stripping it down and diagnosing tomorrow. That sounds like a plan to me, as at least we could make some sort of a timeline for the repair.

Also trying to negotiate a replacement car for when im back in NL. Its going slowly. I get the feeling it will be refused (the breakdown element of scenario will certainly not help me with replacement transport in NL, so its up to the supplying dealer or national Ford NL). Ive also put the question to my insurance company, to see if they would help with a replacement vehicle. But im only interested in doing that if it doesnt count as a claim.

So back to the waiting game.... at least its broken down in the UK so im able to negotiate with the dealer, if I were in France for eg, id be stuffed :hehe:

Annoying that im having to sink so much of my time in to it already, but I didnt expect anything different to be honest.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Righto, another flurry of phone calls and some progress.

Ive chosen for the car to be repaired here in the UK. They are beginning to strip it down as we speak. I just couldnt stomach the 3-4 week wait to get it back to NL (and then on a shared transporter, probably receiving damage along the way).

My warranty rights are the same in the UK as they are in NL, so the only thing im losing out on is the cost of repatriating the car.... ill have to take that on the chin.

I managed to speak to someone at Ford NL somewhat higher up the food chain (although in what capacity im not 100% sure) who was already starting down the path of 'we arent covering anything, because you added 30bhp (or an extra 7%) power to the engine'.

I tired explaining the rule about it has to be proven thats its the extra power that has caused the failure, but I dont think it was sinking in. In any case, thats (perhaps) an argument for further down the chain. Cant say im particularly impressed with that attitude, but its also what I expected, truth be told.

So in the short term theyve started the repair, and ill hopefully know more tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed its not a unicorn part and thats its something like a release bearing, which will hopefully be quick, easy and cheap to replace.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Right, it's diagnosed and submitted to the UK warranty team.

The clutch material has fallen off the backing plate. Loads of meat left on it, it's just not attached to what it should be anymore. Absolutely not worn out, but for whatever reason it's fallen to pieces.

They've sent it all off to the warranty team, the answer could take an hour, a day, or a week to come through..... Although with it occupying a ramp I'm sure they will want a quick answer.

I've called Mike at Modurstang who has a wealth of knowledge, and he has never heard of it happening, even with cars running 800bhp. It's all pointing toward a manufacturing defect in my eyes, but the question of hiding behind T&C's obviously might come in to play.

The whole thing is being handled by the UK warranty arm and not NL. Whether that will be for/against my favourite, I'm not sure.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

The clutch material has fallen off the backing plate. Loads of meat left on it, it's just not attached to what it should be anymore. Absolutely not worn out, but for whatever reason it's fallen to pieces.

They've sent it all off to the warranty team, the answer could take an hour, a day, or a week to come through..... Although with it occupying a ramp I'm sure they will want a quick answer.

I've called Mike at Modurstang who has a wealth of knowledge, and he has never heard of it happening, even with cars running 800bhp. It's all pointing toward a manufacturing defect in my eyes, but the question of hiding behind T&C's obviously might come in to play.

The whole thing is being handled by the UK warranty arm and not NL. Whether that will be for/against my favourite, I'm not sure.
Does sound warranty defect, I can't say I've ever heard of a clutch falling apart, not on a Mustang, and not on any other cars (although I'm sure someone will be able to find a case for it).

Think it's about time warranty covered it pronto and got you off the lift lol! :thumbsup:.

Glad the issue has been found at it wasn't some bearing or switch hidden in the deepest crevices of the car!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Great news on the diagnosis. That must give you some relief! Can't say I have ever heard of that before, be interesting to learn what they believe caused it :shrug:

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
never known the friction material coming off the plate before even on track cars, I've had them explode/splinter/crack and/or otherwise self destruct but never separate like that

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
I would be having a good check of the flywheel face to make sure the remaining rivets have not scored it up whilst it's been slipping.
It's probably been a manufacturing defect with the friction plate itself, just one of those things.
I've seen clutches do this before but not at such low milage.
Something you want to tell us? ;):D

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I believe a manufacturing defect that propagates over time is the usual explanation.

Very small crack to begin with, that slowly grows bigger to the point of failure.

Dropping the clutch plate would be an easy way to introduce a crack, for example.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
That is a part failure, demand a complete overhaul under warranty, clutch, flywheel etc. and stick to your guns mate.

Ford rang me today, new coolant tank, flush and coolant in stock, bring the car in when you want it doing and it shall be done whilst you wait, all under warranty.

Simply because I complained that since oil cooler repair clearly oil has being drawn through coolant system and the vapours have misted the tank, they agreed on spot no fuzz to replace.

But a lot if down to dealer as well, some make it more difficult than others. :(

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
As has already been mentioned here, be sure to get the flywheel inspected as there would have been rivets scoring it, unless the friction material fell off on the back side, in which case the cover plate will be scored.

If the friction material shattered into a million pieces they should also be replacing the thrust bearing and cylinder as bits will have got in there. They also need to inspect the starter opening for debris.

I am truly shocked by this as all the rivets must have failed??
Sponsored