Electric power cars are the future - change my mind

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So with cars recently like the E-Cobra Jet, the Lucid, and Tesla Model S Plaid I truly believe that once technology catches up internal combustion drive trains will be inferior.

Example- Tesla Model S Plaid - sub 9 second 1/4 mile, 500 mile range, laps Laguna faster than virtually any mid engine sports cars, and has room for the family, and does over 200mph. It would destroy anything from Ford, Chevy or Dodge and virtually any European offerings in straight line speed, and around a track.

Don't flame me because I love my Mustangs, and my corvette i just don't see how we don't look at doing more to further the advancement in this technology. Im not a global warming freak but lets face it, we could really help ourselves from a standpoint of oil reliance.

What would be so cool is a 700hp electric mustang GT, with the aftermarket making different battery cells, or something like that to turn up the power. At some point I believe this is the future of performance. Will i miss that Coyote howl, or the sound from a cammed LS7...yes but when your get dusted by a silent car that'll pull so hard it hurts your face - thats a bright future. Change my mind
Sponsored

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
Electric powered cars are certainly part of the future. I have no problem replacing 95% of vehicles on the road with electric cars. However I currently have zero interest in electric sports cars. As development continues this might change but electric sports cars are heavier (Tesla Roadster is 4400lbs), make no good sound and aren't offered with a manual transmission. An enjoyable driving experience is much more than hurting your face accelerating.
Unless you're looking to win a race (one or two races before the battery is drained), what part of driving an electric sports car would be better?

OP
OP
Ruby_Ruby19

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Electric powered cars are certainly part of the future. I have no problem replacing 95% of vehicles on the road with electric cars. However I currently have zero interest in electric sports cars. As development continues this might change but electric sports cars are heavier (Tesla Roadster is 4400lbs), make no good sound and aren't offered with a manual transmission. An enjoyable driving experience is much more than hurting your face accelerating.
Unless you're looking to win a race (one or two races before the battery is drained), what part of driving an electric sports car would be better?
I can't disagree that it would have disadvantages, such as draining batteries but with Tesla's fast charging capabilities you could in theory run 8 plus 1/4 mile passes and recharge in 45 minutes or less. I don't ever make more than 5 passes a night at the local grudge nights so its not a huge no to me.

The sound piece isn't a huge issue for me, as sound doesn't win races. I'd rather win than sound good (personally)

The manual transmission is really neat, but at the end of the day they aren't race winners. Virtually all top-tier performance offerings have some form of automatic. Even a majority of your professional race cars, and development teams use almost 100% automatic transmissions.

I honestly would say having a car that can win races 99.9% of the time vs virtually any true street car would be more than enjoyable.

I can't think of one car that can do a sub 9 second 1/4 mile. Lap Laguna in 1:30.4 seconds, get 512 miles on one take of fuel, and could haul my entire family.

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
I honestly would say having a car that can win races 99.9% of the time vs virtually any true street car would be more than enjoyable.

I can't think of one car that can do a sub 9 second 1/4 mile. Lap Laguna in 1:30.4 seconds, get 512 miles on one take of fuel, and could haul my entire family.
Well if this conversation revolves around winning races and nothing else then ok. Who cares what it looks like too, I mean the Senna certainly isn't beautiful but it's fast. The vast majority of people who own sports cars never race them. Do you think you would enjoy driving to and from the track more in an electric car?

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
If Telsa can build it, so can the other manufactures, so big deal about being faster.

In the near socialize future cars will not be owned, you need a ride? Go to phone, a self driving car will come to you and take you to destination.

Why do people still own horses, they are outdated? Because as mentioned without the sound, smell and feel of control.... One day the gasoline engined car will be like the horse. A memory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby_Ruby19

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If Telsa can build it, so can the other manufactures, so big deal about being faster.

In the near socialize future cars will not be owned, you need a ride? Go to phone, a self driving car will come to you and take you to destination.

Why do people still own horses, they are outdated? Because as mentioned without the sound, smell and feel of control.... One day the gasoline engined car will be like the horse. A memory.
Far to many liabilities with self driving cars. Autonomous cars won't be the future.

Horses are living things called PETS, which is why people own them.

I wasn't arguing that others couldn't do what Tesla does. Obviously someone could, but no one on earth has yet to date made a car that can go 8's from the factory, blister most anything around a track, get over 500 miles on 1 tank or charge of fuel, and has 4 doors.

I'm still convinced these are the future of performance cars. Smells and sounds are great but I like winning - the electric car idea has way more promise than the tech we are working with today.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Far to many liabilities with self driving cars. Autonomous cars won't be the future.

Horses are living things called PETS, which is why people own them.

I wasn't arguing that others couldn't do what Tesla does. Obviously someone could, but no one on earth has yet to date made a car that can go 8's from the factory, blister most anything around a track, get over 500 miles on 1 tank or charge of fuel, and has 4 doors.

I'm still convinced these are the future of performance cars. Smells and sounds are great but I like winning - the electric car idea has way more promise than the tech we are working with today.
You keep mentioning winning..but once everyone has an electric car..itll be just like it is now with regular street cars. Youll win some..youll lose some. You wont be winning everytime. So at that point..you also rely on the driving experience, the sound, etc. That you dont get from an electric car. Can they make them more enjoyable? Sure. But you comparing electric vs gas as far as "winning races" is a moot point when talking about the future being all electric cars.

Are they the future of performance? Quite obviously so, but that doesn't mean it will be as fun or enjoyable as what we all love here.

OP
OP
Ruby_Ruby19

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You keep mentioning winning..but once everyone has an electric car..itll be just like it is now with regular street cars. Youll win some..youll lose some. You wont be winning everytime. So at that point..you also rely on the driving experience, the sound, etc. That you dont get from an electric car. Can they make them more enjoyable? Sure. But you comparing electric vs gas as far as "winning races" is a moot point when talking about the future being all electric cars.

Are they the future of performance? Quite obviously so, but that doesn't mean it will be as fun or enjoyable as what we all love here.
Good point - but my one point was don't we think more push for this technology should happen?

We also don't know what the aftermarket looks like, different cells or different electric motors, suspension it will be a new world and a fun one.

OP
OP
Ruby_Ruby19

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Can you explain one thing to me, you mention sound. How does sound win a race?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Good point - but my one point was don't we think more push for this technology should happen?

We also don't know what the aftermarket looks like, different cells or different electric motors, suspension it will be a new world and a fun one.
Sure. I agree with that. Having a background in cyber operations, IT systems and space launches, i am a huge advocate for technology and think we should push for it.

It also could be a very fun one, i agree. I was just arguing the "winning vs gas cars" argument wasnt a very valid one conceptually speaking. Im sure it would still be a very fun, rewarding hobby either way, but thats a different argument completely.

Also i never said sound wins a race. I said its part of the driving experience. You are in a mustang forum, you think the lack of sound from an EV is as enjoyable as a coyote engine?

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I would also assume upgrades for these highly engineered electric vehicles wont be cheap or something everyone can figure out. At least for a while. Lol. So the aftermarket would probably take a huge hit for a while.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The more things change the more they stay the same. We are always promised more than is delivered.

camelfarmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hussain
Vehicle(s)
None
So with cars recently like the E-Cobra Jet, the Lucid, and Tesla Model S Plaid I truly believe that once technology catches up internal combustion drive trains will be inferior.

Example- Tesla Model S Plaid - sub 9 second 1/4 mile, 500 mile range, laps Laguna faster than virtually any mid engine sports cars, and has room for the family, and does over 200mph. It would destroy anything from Ford, Chevy or Dodge and virtually any European offerings in straight line speed, and around a track.

Don't flame me because I love my Mustangs, and my corvette i just don't see how we don't look at doing more to further the advancement in this technology. Im not a global warming freak but lets face it, we could really help ourselves from a standpoint of oil reliance.

What would be so cool is a 700hp electric mustang GT, with the aftermarket making different battery cells, or something like that to turn up the power. At some point I believe this is the future of performance. Will i miss that Coyote howl, or the sound from a cammed LS7...yes but when your get dusted by a silent car that'll pull so hard it hurts your face - thats a bright future. Change my mind
So you don't believe in global warming or you just don't care?