Sponsored

Electric Cutouts vs. Active Exhaust (Roush)

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I wanted to see what the difference would be between these two options. I know the Roush system isn't out but comparing cutouts to any active exhaust should work. I would buy an a cutback right now but I can't have it that loud in the morning as I leave at 5 am in an apartment complex. What would be the difference of adding a cat/axle back and the electric cutouts vs. an active exhaust system?
Sponsored

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I wanted to see what the difference would be between these two options. I know the Roush system isn't out but comparing cutouts to any active exhaust should work. I would buy an a cutback right now but I can't have it that loud in the morning as I leave at 5 am in an apartment complex. What would be the difference of adding a cat/axle back and the electric cutouts vs. an active exhaust system?
The cutouts won't sound as good as the active exhaust system when opened, IMO.

Even though the active systems are much less restrictive, they still use the muffler and change the sound. To me, a cutout on the street is terrible sounding unless we're talking about a car modified so far that it takes advantage of it.

I think you may find that many of the catback systems as it is are too loud for your scenario, if you are worrying about it. I leave home for work between 2 and 3AM and have the Ford Racing catback. It sounds great, but not at that hour. I'm tempted to actually just go back to stock since the catbacks don't really give any gains other than sound. I'll take an active catback system though if someone made one, I love the active exhaust on my C7 for this reason.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
What about an axelback? That will be much quieter and keep some decent sound.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yes I had a g37 with exhaust and loved it but this v8 will make just a bit more noise at the morning hours. Might just have to wait for the roush active system. I believe it is an option on the stage 2 package and when I called roush they said the exhaust would be ready in April. Hate to wait, that was the reason for thinking of the cutouts.

OP
OP

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I do like the roush axle back. I think the axle back might still be pretty loud but I should hear one in person before saying that.
Sponsored