Sponsored

El Wire Dash Lighting

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Wife wanted lighting across the dash on her Mustang.

I ended up using el wire the type that can be sewed into fabric I used this because you can stuff/wedge it in between the dash parts, got every thing off of eBay. Links below in another post.

El wire got here from China in about 10 days. The connectors had to wait about a month to get from China :doh:

Wanted to go all the way across the dash but the way how the dash is designed made it to difficult, ended up with what is pictured.

Ended up by having four different lights for what is pictured all made from the single el wire I bought off of eBay. You'll have to solder the connectors onto the ends of the el wire was pretty simple to do just google it to see how it's done.

To terminate the el wire I used a hot melt glue and put a dab of glue on the ends. I pulled on the housing a little so the actually wire inside got pulled back into the housing and glued inside of the housing were the el wire once was.

Came out decent looking. Wife loves it :clap2:

Forgot to add the lighting only comes on when the head light switch is set to automatic so the lighting only comes on when the lighting sensor senses that it's dark.
Mustang_Left_IMG_1296.JPG
Mustang_Right_IMG_1298.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
how did you get it to stay in the seams? El wire doesn't really have a tab to slide in like the piping a few people did on their trim a while back

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
As I said I used sewable el wire looks like the picture. I stuffed it into the cracks.
image.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Another picture once it got dark outside. Looks more blue in person then it does in the picture.
image.jpg

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh... that makes sense.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
Damn

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you have to take apart the media part of the console? I can't imagine how you'd make the bottom look so clean without it.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Looks great, but what do you tap into for power please?

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Hmm. 2mm wire. Wonder if you can stuff this around the circumference of the mustang in the grill? Would need wire without the fin, and some good, clear glue...

OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
For power I believe I used the purple wire that runs to the headlight switch. I removed the trim panel piece to get access to the wiring. Yes you have to remove some parts of the trim to run and hide the wiring. The carbon fiber trim dashbroad panel I used my trim removal tool to just lift it enough so I could run/fish the wiring behind it for the two media center el wire lights and ran the wiring behind the dash next to the instrument panel.

A nice surprise was when I took the one picture once it got dark was all the el wire came on when the door was opened.

As for the media center I just pressed the el wire between the cracks then used my trim panel removing tools to try and get it even with the surfaces.

At first I went with one of those add a circuits fuse taps, but it would always be on when the car was started. I didn't like it that way as it would be on during the day.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
So this just happened...thank you :headbonk:

What type of driver comes with that ? Battery operated ?

Reason why I went with the one on eBay was it had the driver that plugs into the cigarette lighter, I just cut that part off.