Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost 50th Anniversary Edition
My mods: Blowoff Valve, Muffler delete, running on 93 Octane
Camaro mods: not sure

Ran into the Camaro owner when I was cruising around 10 PM. We had some stoplight races and then ran for a bit on a highway that goes around our town.
I really wish I got some of this on video. I have personally been running 5.2 - 5.3 second 0-60s in my Ecoboost, however, I was just in Sport mode with traction control ON, so when I was going against the Camaro I'm sure it wasn't that time.

As far as I could see, I was matching his 0-60 on stoplight jumps, and on the highway he was only slightly edging me out at higher speeds. I am 98% sure his car was a manual as well (my eco is automatic)

Have any Eco owners gone up against 5th gen SS's? Any sort of footage of this? I'd love to see people testing this out. After all, BOV and Muffler delete are not mods that will really cut off a TON of time.

Either way, I was incredibly surprised how easily my Ecoboost could keep up with a V8 Camaro, although it is the previous generation.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I owned a 2011 Camaro SSrs L99. It ran a best of 13.1 stock. It was completely loaded with every option. So it was a heavy pig! But It’s hard to imagine a EcoBoost keeping up with all things being equal. The 10r80 EBs will probably put up a better fight. But still fall short stock for stock.
65D3E46C-E475-4DF1-B90F-D184EA1F6765.jpeg

OP
OP
JUH

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
I owned a 2011 Camaro SSrs L99. It ran a best of 13.1 stock. It was completely loaded with every option. So it was a heavy pig! But It’s hard to imagine a EcoBoost keeping up with all things being equal. The 10r80 EBs will probably put up a better fight. But still fall short stock for stock.
65D3E46C-E475-4DF1-B90F-D184EA1F6765.jpeg
Time 0-60 on yours at all? I don't think it'd be surprising if a 5th gen SS (mainly the 2010 - 2012) models ran over 5 sec 0-60s on 87.

And yea, as I said. I hung with him but climbing speeds he started to edge me out more. Could an Ecoboost beat an SS stock for stock? Very likely not. I only put about ~$250 in my car and it came up very close against an SS that seemed stock.

Let's hope someone can put this to the test sometime! I don't see many people talking about this kind of match up, I think it'd be an interesting one :giggle:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The 5th gen SS traps 110-111 mph in the 1/4 mile. The S550 Ecoboost Mustang traps like 98-99 mph. Not even close from a roll. I can see from a dig things being closer if the SS was manual, because it's harder to be consistent with a manual and that much torque off the line. That guy must have been going easy on you, or not pushing his car that hard.

The S550 Mustang ecoboost would give an LT1 powered F body from the 90s a run for it's money, but most of them even trapped over 100 mph (The 93-94 versions seemed to be a tad slower than the 95+ LT1s). The LS1 versions (1998+) were even quicker still, some trapping 105-106 mph, in the 90s!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The other thing I just thought was what if it was a V6 Camaro that you thought was an SS? They look identical, except for the little fake hood scoop on the front on the SS. In 2010 the base V6 Camaro was 300+ hp and trapped about the same as a current ecoboost Mustang in the 1/4 mile. I just don't see a mostly stock ecoboost hanging anywhere close to a stock 5th gen SS in a roll race. Those things are ~3,900 lbs and 426 hp. That's about 9.15 lbs/hp. For an ecoboost to have that lbs/hp, you'd need 400 hp (3,650 lbs ecoboost).

Sponsored

OP
OP
JUH

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
The other thing I just thought was what if it was a V6 Camaro that you thought was an SS? They look identical, except for the little fake hood scoop on the front on the SS. In 2010 the base V6 Camaro was 300+ hp and trapped about the same as a current ecoboost Mustang in the 1/4 mile. I just don't see a mostly stock ecoboost hanging anywhere close to a stock 5th gen SS in a roll race. Those things are ~3,900 lbs and 426 hp. That's about 9.15 lbs/hp. For an ecoboost to have that lbs/hp, you'd need 400 hp (3,650 lbs ecoboost).
Had SS badging for certain. I would just chalk it up and say that the guy was bad at shifting, but I'm honestly not too sure.

As I mentioned before, so far I've only been timing my 0-60s, clocking in around 5.2s - 5.3s, and I've seen plenty of 5th gen SS's clocking in above 5 online. If we're talking 0-60 that can at least hang with 2010-2012 SS times.

I'll chalk it up to him taking it easy, don't want to go on about having something that isn't there. The least I can say is that it never got embarrassing for me lol.

I just hope you know I'm not trying to come across as someone compensating or trying to argue that the EBs are better than the 5th gen v8 Camaros. Except for the Performance Packages, they aren't. I just don't think the EB owner will get shit on like most people would expect :cwl:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't think the EB owner will get shit on like most people would expect
I doubt there are more than a 5 EB owners who give a toss.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dig on the street is the great equalizer. Plenty of GT guys are recording and have posted 5+ sec 0-60 times. Throw magazine 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on a controlled surface or proving ground times out the window. They don't count with rear wheel drive muscle cars. So yes I believe it.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Time 0-60 on yours at all? I don't think it'd be surprising if a 5th gen SS (mainly the 2010 - 2012) models ran over 5 sec 0-60s on 87.

And yea, as I said. I hung with him but climbing speeds he started to edge me out more. Could an Ecoboost beat an SS stock for stock? Very likely not. I only put about ~$250 in my car and it came up very close against an SS that seemed stock.

Let's hope someone can put this to the test sometime! I don't see many people talking about this kind of match up, I think it'd be an interesting one :giggle:
I didn't say I didn't believe you. The biggest variable in any race is the driver. And the street is another big variable. No one races 0-60. But I can see where a light weight car with turbo torque could hang to 60 or so. 6r80 EBs are high 13 low 14 second cars at the strip. The 5th gen L99s (slow ones) are mid 13 second cars at worst, at the strip. Head out to the nearest drag strip and test your theory. Plenty of old 5th gen camaros to pick on. The time slip will tell you if you beat the car or the driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: JUH

Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I have not raced against a 5th gen SS, I did have some fun with a 6th gen SS, though LMAO.
By the time I hit 80 mph, he had put about 2 car lengths on me...So there's that.
As for a GT, I found one last year around November, when temps are great for the turbo (about 65F), the GT was a 2018-2019 BUT it was manual. I was right next to him up to 45 mph, then, naturally, the gapping happened. Expected lol .He actually wanted to race me, he had his IG on his car, turns out he used to own a EB as well...

A 5th gen camaro '10 - 13 v6 have never beat me , I tell them apart by the tail lights.
Only 1 time did a '14 - '15 camaro v6 got me by a little bit on the top end.

A 6th gen camaro v6 , though, Im not sure. Ive taken a few 2.0t but havent run with a v6 yet. Im sure it would beat me for sure on the top end.

My stock ECU EB runs 5.5 0-60 and 2.2 0-30 (tested in 72F temps low humidity , could it do better? - maybe), so I believe you - its no slouch and can give some trouble to "faster" cars. My EB has surprised many that are supposed to be faster. So I believe you. But to answer your question, Id hope a 5th gen SS would take us on the top end lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JUH
OP
OP
JUH

JUH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jakob
Vehicle(s)
I have not raced against a 5th gen SS, I did have some fun with a 6th gen SS, though LMAO.
By the time I hit 80 mph, he had put about 2 car lengths on me...So there's that.
As for a GT, I found one last year around November, when temps are great for the turbo (about 65F), the GT was a 2018-2019 BUT it was manual. I was right next to him up to 45 mph, then, naturally, the gapping happened. Expected lol .He actually wanted to race me, he had his IG on his car, turns out he used to own a EB as well...

A 5th gen camaro '10 - 13 v6 have never beat me , I tell them apart by the tail lights.
Only 1 time did a '14 - '15 camaro v6 got me by a little bit on the top end.

A 6th gen camaro v6 , though, Im not sure. Ive taken a few 2.0t but havent run with a v6 yet. Im sure it would beat me for sure on the top end.

My stock ECU EB runs 5.5 0-60 and 2.2 0-30 (tested in 72F temps low humidity , could it do better? - maybe), so I believe you - its no slouch and can give some trouble to "faster" cars. My EB has surprised many that are supposed to be faster. So I believe you. But to answer your question, Id hope a 5th gen SS would take us on the top end lol

I promise you that were weren't running it that hard. Quarter mile distance? I'm sure he would've gotten me at the end.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I promise you that were weren't running it that hard. Quarter mile distance? I'm sure he would've gotten me at the end.
It should. If not mistaken, the 1/4 for a 5th gen SS ranges between 12.6 -- 13.2 sec @ 110 - 112 mph with the LS3 manual,
and 12.8 - 13.4 sec @ 109 -105 mph for the L99 auto. So a stock EB could keep up with a stock 5th gen SS but in the higher speeds, the SS SHOULD pull...

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
If it’s an LS3 then you are in trouble. I had a 2012 2SS RS ls3 with a hurst short throw shifter. Pretty long gears but the torque is everywhere. L99 you will have a chance from a dig but not on the stretches. To give you an idea, LS3 camaros put down 40 50 whp more than the L99’s. My car was loaded around 3920 lbs.
Sponsored