Sponsored

Ecoboost Automatic Custom Tuning by Team JDM!!

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
Last week we finished a customers 2016 Ecoboost with Automatic transmission on our dyno. It was actually the first Ecoboost Auto car we had the chance to dyno so far. We made some big power gains through out the entire RPM band but what made the car so much fun to drive was our shift pattern and shift points!

Our customer Dan Casey brought the car to us with a High Flow Down pipe and exhaust system already installed as well as a larger inter-cooler. The car was 100% stock otherwise. We installed a JLT Cold Air intake system and tested the car with the stock tune. Starting from that point with in a few dyno pulls Jim D'Amore our tuner at JDM Engineering was able build a new Custom Tune and gain nearly 90 RWHP with the engine cold and over 110 RWHP when the motor was hot. Ford's factory tune up had the car running very rich and lacking power any time did a back to back run. Jim was able to fix that and keep the car consistent and still maintain a level of safety at higher intake temps.

Our Dyno numbers are a little lower than most as we have a Dyno JET with HD (Heavy Duty) rollers, but the gains are shown and that's what most important.

Stock Peak #s 259.12 RWHP / 297.11 TQ
Stock Peak #s HOT 219.32 RWHP / 291.07 TQ
JDM Peak #s 274.16 RWHP / 327.75 TQ
JDM Peak #s HOT 267.56 RWHP / 298.98 TQ

Gained Peak #s 15.04 RWHP / 30.64 TQ
Gained Peak #s HOT 48.24 RWHP / 7.91 TQ

Gained Max #s @ hit of throttle 50+ RWHP!!!
Gained Max #s @ max RPM +88 RWHP!!!
Gained Max #s @ max RPM HOT 100+ RWHP!!!

After the dyno session Jim spent several days perfecting the previous shift patterns and shift points he had in his tuning and dialed it in to what we consider perfection! The car is much more responsive has a ton more power everywhere in the power band. It was a fun car to drive before when it was stock but now it takes on the Eco-Beast moniker! If you've heard of Jim D'Amore or JDM Engineering tuning you know his Automatic transmission files are the best!

For more details about this car or a JDM custom tune email us at [email protected] or call 732-780-0770. We will also respond right here!

Sponsored

Last edited:

gtmorgan23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Thats awesome that JDM is working on the Ecoboost.

Your crew came down to Texas and street tuned my lightning way back in the day. Along with a bunch of my buddies.

Also did the tune on my 03 Cobra.

Nothing but great experiences with you all over the years.

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
That's awesome that JDM is working on the Ecoboost.

Your crew came down to Texas and street tuned my lightning way back in the day. Along with a bunch of my buddies.

Also did the tune on my 03 Cobra.

Nothing but great experiences with you all over the years.
Thanks! We are excited to get some good data on these cars and its a good break from all these Cobra Jets we've been working on lol:D Jim still comes down to Houston and has a shop he's built and plans to open next year so be on the look out for him!

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
are you supporting the sct tuner? Can you tell us the price also?

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
are you supporting the sct tuner? Can you tell us the price also?
Yes, we can email our files and send out SCT programmers with them pre-loaded! For Ecoboost Mustang's the X4 programmer with custom tune file is $495 and our email files are $150.

Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Question on your graphs, You have it marked runfile 001 and 002 as stock cold an hot.
Now on boost graph, that can't be right as stock don't go to 23/24lb boost ?

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
Question on your graphs, You have it marked runfile 001 and 002 as stock cold an hot.
Now on boost graph, that can't be right as stock don't go to 23/24lb boost ?
The Boost graphs depict the run files 1 & 2 correctly. The numbers shown on the graph at 23/24 psi are max readings, you won't see that much on the street or until peak RPM. Our Dyno's boost reading is also suspect because we do see higher boost numbers than expected on most combinations. We tied into a direct boost reference though. 23/24 is a little higher than expected for stock but not much. 22 psi is standard.

If you notice the boost curves, our tune however obviously gained more power with less boost initially but building up as RPM peaks. This is safer for the motor and making it more efficient. Boost is a measure of restriction, manipulating the tune through fueling, spark, cam movement we make the engine more efficient so you don't have to rely on boost for power/torque. The Stock tune has boost coming in strong right away and fading off in peak RPM, this is going to put more stress on the motor and possibly create pinging/detonation if you have poor quality fuel and when boost fades up top (due to throttle closing) the car stops pulling and flattens out. With our tune boost peaks at max RPM so it feels like it pulls to the moon!!!

JimIII

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
The Boost graphs depict the run files 1 & 2 correctly. The numbers shown on the graph at 23/24 psi are max readings, you won't see that much on the street or until peak RPM. Our Dyno's boost reading is also suspect because we do see higher boost numbers than expected on most combinations. We tied into a direct boost reference though. 23/24 is a little higher than expected for stock but not much. 22 psi is standard.

If you notice the boost curves, our tune however obviously gained more power with less boost initially but building up as RPM peaks. This is safer for the motor and making it more efficient. Boost is a measure of restriction, manipulating the tune through fueling, spark, cam movement we make the engine more efficient so you don't have to rely on boost for power/torque. The Stock tune has boost coming in strong right away and fading off in peak RPM, this is going to put more stress on the motor and possibly create pinging/detonation if you have poor quality fuel and when boost fades up top (due to throttle closing) the car stops pulling and flattens out. With our tune boost peaks at max RPM so it feels like it pulls to the moon!!!

JimIII
Ok, thanks
Yeh, the curves look good on tune especially with not a lot added boost, thanks for info.

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Metallic
Ok, thanks
Yeh, the curves look good on tune especially with not a lot added boost, thanks for info.
I see your not far from us if you want to see how your car does on our dyno sometime I'd be happy to try and set something up!

JimIII

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
I see your not far from us if you want to see how your car does on our dyno sometime I'd be happy to try and set something up!

JimIII
Jim, thanks for offer, I actually don't have ecoboost yet, been eyeballing/researching them for while.
I"ll keep your shop in mind.

Sponsored

Dave@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I got Cobb AP, can you work with that?

I'm close by, free for me to swing by for a consolation?
We only use the SCT software. Of course it's free to stop by, feel free to come visit our shop!!!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Another auto owner here... EB Premium w/PP

So, just to clarify, did you do an engine tune and separate trans tune update to the factory Ford parameters?

Was the difference in shifting found when driving in "D" only, or is the change also present when in "S" mode too?

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Another auto owner here... EB Premium w/PP

So, just to clarify, did you do an engine tune and separate trans tune update to the factory Ford parameters?

Was the difference in shifting found when driving in "D" only, or is the change also present when in "S" mode too?
what he said ;)