Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
Happy 4th of July everyone! I was able to go out to Waterford Hills Road Racing Course in Clarkston Michigan on Sunday for an Open Track Day. It was my 1st time there but I feel I did pretty well. Check out the video of my fastest lap of the day in the 4th session. I've already found lots of places for improvement and can't wait to get back out there!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]M0rwilcG9ok[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored

Last edited:

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Looks good what tires and wheels are you running?

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
how come your "what I hate about my mustang" is almost 3X longer than your "things I like about my mustang"?

OP
OP
Mattrix

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
how come your "what I hate about my mustang" is almost 3X longer than your "things I like about my mustang"?
All the talking about my original engine issues in the Hate video. Plus I never really say anything bad about the car in any videos, so did want to go into more details I guess. I am however always talking about how good stuff is. So very happy with it over all.

Sponsored

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the talking about my original engine issues in the Hate video. Plus I never really say anything bad about the car in any videos, so did want to go into more details I guess. I am however always talking about how good stuff is. So very happy with it over all.
I see. Was just trying to figure it out. :cheers:

Although I don't see what you mean about the knee hitting the door. I tried to reproduce your problem but couldn't. You have regular seats or the Recaros?

OP
OP
Mattrix

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

Although I don't see what you mean about the knee hitting the door. I tried to reproduce your problem but couldn't. You have regular seats or the Recaros?
I have the standard seats. Are you taking sweeping corners at 1.5G+? Thankfully this last track day I did not have a sore left knee afterwards :)

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the standard seats. Are you taking sweeping corners at 1.5G+? Thankfully this last track day I did not have a sore left knee afterwards :)
Nope. You vid shows your knee positioned much lower than where mine usually is. My knee is about 2-3" higher than your so the handle is more in the softer muscle area and not on the joint.

I have the recacros and sit closer to the wheel than might have something to do with it

OP
OP
Mattrix

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Nope. You vid shows your knee positioned much lower than where mine usually is. My knee is about 2-3" higher than your so the handle is more in the softer muscle area and not on the joint.
Yeah I've figured it has to do with my size and positioning. Thanks for your info on it!

Hawk296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT PP

Same here. Didn't understand that. Never had that problem on the street or track. I think he needs to adjust his seating position.

Pretty decent time for your first time there. It's a technical track. My first track day ever with the Mustang was there last year. I think I ran a 1:25 by the end of the day with a totally stock GT PP for comparison sake.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm going to assume that the inside of the S550 doors differs somewhat from the S197. I sit low and relatively far back as well and never had this issue at about the same g-levels I was seeing in your video.

Anyway, have you considered wearing a knee pad with the cushion on the side of your knee instead of in front?

I'm curious about those NT05's - what's your overall evaluation of them? I've seen where they could be a little "slide-y" but without knowing how the car in question was being driven.

Norm

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
Enjoyed the video. I used to go there all the time when I was a kid--as a spectator. Always wondered what it looks like from the driver's seat.

I'd do an event there but I live in Virginia now.

Jim

OP
OP
Mattrix

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to assume that the inside of the S550 doors differs somewhat from the S197. I sit low and relatively far back as well and never had this issue at about the same g-levels I was seeing in your video.

Anyway, have you considered wearing a knee pad with the cushion on the side of your knee instead of in front?

I'm curious about those NT05's - what's your overall evaluation of them? I've seen where they could be a little "slide-y" but without knowing how the car in question was being driven.

Norm
Hey Norm,
Yeah I've thought about a knee pad. I'm only 5'8 and am sitting in the proper spot for my height and all. Last track day I didn't have the same discomfort. I was more conscious about how much pressure was on my knee vs just pushing that left foot down hard on the dead pedal.

As for the NT05s, so far I like them but I also realized they're still not track tires so they're not going to be the best option. For a streetable track tire though, I'm very impressed! I've talked to guys who had ran PSS and changed to the NT05 and haven't switched back. I don't have any experience there though so I can only say they are way better than the stock PZeros :)

OP
OP
Mattrix

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Enjoyed the video. I used to go there all the time when I was a kid--as a spectator. Always wondered what it looks like from the driver's seat.

I'd do an event there but I live in Virginia now.

Jim
Glad you liked it Jim, thanks for watching man! I really do like the track but Grattan is still my favorite. You been up there?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey Norm,
Yeah I've thought about a knee pad. I'm only 5'8 and am sitting in the proper spot for my height and all. Last track day I didn't have the same discomfort. I was more conscious about how much pressure was on my knee vs just pushing that left foot down hard on the dead pedal.
I've found that relaxing all the muscles except the ones actively involved with some control at each given instant tends to let your body act like a sack of grain and stay put better in the seat better from that effect alone. Pushing on the dead pedal more than likely trades lifting weight off the seat cushion and additional body stiffness away in exchange for a little more pressure against the seat back.

Relax a bit.

BTW, I'm only a bit over 5-9 any more.

Norm
Sponsored