Dynavin D8 in 2021 GT

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My new to me 2021 GT PP1 came with the 8" SYNC 3, but I decided to swap it out for a couple of reasons: speakers distorting when volume was past 20-22, USB port under the radio was very loose causing phone to disconnect, and I wanted a bigger screen. After doing some research, I went with the Dynavin over the Tesla style screen and others. I wanted to keep my toggle switches vs having them converted to soft buttons on the other radio options.

Install took me a little over 2 1/2 hours. I was taking my time, but to be honest, about an hour was spent researching where some of the plugs went, how to get some of the OEM connectors off, and which OEM plugs weren't needed on the new unit. Getting the panels off, most of the plugs used, etc. were well documented in their install video, but not all. There is also a PDF of the parts, wiring diagram, manual, etc. on their site. Unfortunately, I didn't find them beforehand. It would have shaved at least 30 minutes from my install.

As far as the unit is concerned, I will post my findings as pros and cons, for ME:

Pros:
* Great fit and finish. Looks OEM once installed. Zero complaints there.
*Screen is larger and wider than OEM. It does make the cockpit look more modern in my opinion.
*Sound quality is definitely better than OEM. Higher power amplification, built in equalizer and DSP help tune the sound to my liking. No more distortion coming from my speakers. This unit is powering Hertz tweeters, Hertz 3.5" mids, and Hertz6.5" mid-bass speakers without breaking a sweat.
*Buttons for the AC and Steering wheel controls all work as they should. I read online some people were having issues-I did not.
*Call quality remains clear even with the included MIC you have to use. You cannot use the OEM mic with this unit.
*RCA outputs for external amplification makes installing a full system very easy. I added 6 channel RCAs at the time of install as I will be doing that in the coming weeks. So I won't need to pull the unit back out at that time.
* Having a larger screen works great with Android Auto. Waze and Pandora work much better on a larger screen. Toggling between the two apps is as simple as tapping the one you want on the large (left) side of the screen. I can now click thumb up or down right from the main screen. On the OEM unit, I had to switch to Pandora completely to have that option. Much easier while driving.

Cons:
* Instructions could be better. The QR code sent in the box takes you to their YT video, but the video is far from complete. QR codes for the PDFs I mentioned earlier would be much better.
* I was sent the wrong size Torx screw driver. No big deal as I have a garage full of tools.
* Plastic covers for the ribbon cables weren't in the box. I don't think the cable will back out, but we shall see.
* Teal colored jumper for the FM radio connection was missing. So right now I don't have the ability to play the radio. The original plug doesn't reach. Not a huge deal. I only listen to the radio in the event of an emergency while on the road. So I can know what is going on, basically.
* Remote turn on wire for external amps wasn't clearly identified, although it is on the wiring diagram. Those wires are typically dark blue, but the one I believe it to be is white. I have to test this before running the wire when I do the full install.
* Screen is easily washed out in the daytime. I have full tint even on my windshield and it still gets washed out. Brightness is set to full, but because the screen isn't recessed like the OEM one, light hits it easily. At night it looks great. I would not want to put this unit in a convertible.

Aside from wanting the screen to be brighter and have less glare, the unit is pretty awesome. Love the fit and finish and sound. After dealing with the install already, I can safely say I could do the install within an hour and a half if I had to do it again. Hopefully the info on the PDFs will help others. I will be calling Dynavin today about the ribbon cable clips, FM radio jumper, and confirmation on Remote wire. I will update this post once I speak to them in hopes this helps others with their installs. **LASTLY, make sure you have a good USB cable to use with wired Carplay or Android Auto. It needs to be a cable that not only charges, but capable of carrying data. I tried 4 cables before I found one that works flawlessly. They should have included one with the kit.

1000015355.jpg

1000015245.jpg

1000015359.jpg

1000015357.jpg
Sponsored

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
Have you had a chance yet to see how you like the navigation functionality?

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Please let me know how streaming to the screen is (YouTube, Netflix, and etc.) I heard it’s capable of doing that. I interested in this unit over the hellhorse 8inch upgrade

Sponsored

OP
OP

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Please let me know how streaming to the screen is (YouTube, Netflix, and etc.) I heard it’s capable of doing that. I interested in this unit over the hellhorse 8inch upgrade
I haven't tried it yet, but I will and keep you posted.

OP
OP

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Have you had a chance yet to see how you like the navigation functionality?
I have not, for 2 reasons:

1. I use Waze via Android Auto exclusively.
2. I plugged in the OEM blue connector for the GPS into the back of the unit. This will not work. And I only noticed after I put her all back together. I'm pulling it this weekend to fix the FM radio issue (I have to plug OEM plug plug into the unit, per Jeff at Dynavin. This was no where to be found on their site or instructions)

Once I plug in their GPS antenna, I will give their NAV a try. I'd like to have it as an option in the event I lose my phone or something and I need NAV to get to my destination. A backup, basically.

I've used this NAV in my M3 about 10 years ago. I hope it is better now. It was rudimentary at best back then.

Last edited:
OP
OP

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Some night time shots. Display looks great in lower light. I may need to re-tint my car a little darker...

20240319_063101.jpg

20240319_062808.jpg

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
Just wondering how your Dynavin is working out for you. I'm looking at various options for adding navigation without having to use my phone as well as adding a bit more oomph to the stereo without having to go the DSP/amplifier route.

OP
OP

joeyvaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Just wondering how your Dynavin is working out for you. I'm looking at various options for adding navigation without having to use my phone as well as adding a bit more oomph to the stereo without having to go the DSP/amplifier route.
Works great. Fast boot up. Sound is definitely better than OEM unit, but I did change all speakers to Hertz. The iGo Nav is decent. I would use it in a pinch if I had to, but I prefer Waze via Android Auto. I bought a Course Motorsport phone mount. Looks and works great. Now I don't have to have my phone in the cup holder or on the passenger seat. Highly recommend this mount.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

KRGundy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Convertible Premium EcoBoost
Hey Joe:

Thanks for the write-up this install.

This is my 1st post on the forum after lurking for a few months now.
Great information and community!

I am in the middle of a serious audio upgrade to our new to us 2021 convertible, and I recently emailed Dynavin about the D9 unit coming out and they could not answer this question:
" will I lose the FordPass option to remotely start/ unlock/ locate the car? "
I assume these functions "live" in the APIM which looks to be mounted to the rear of the factory touch screen. Seems like this install loses that module, or could you keep it nested back there somehow?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm not totally in love with Sync3.
Sponsored