Sponsored

Drone on aftermarket exhausts

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
Hi, everyone, I'm a brand new member. I'm going to be getting an Ecoboost Stang soon and have a general question that's probably been at least touched on in one way or another in other threads, but I'd like to get a group of direct responses in one place.

I would like to get a 3" downpipe and catback exhaust. The 2 brands that I am most strongly considering are Stainless Works and MAPerformance. The main issue I am worried about is drone. There are alot of threads on exhaust notes, and to be honest many of them sound relatively similar to my untrained ear, but the thing I am most worried about is drone. I do alot of highway driving and would like to enjoy the luxurious new interior without background noise when I am just cruising. Of course, I still want a nice sound when I am driving more aggressively. Can people please comment on drone and cruising noise levels for the different options?

Also, is there any way to turn off the "engine" noise that is played over the speakers on the Ecoboost?

I'm sure this is repetitive but I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!
Sponsored

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
MAperformance sounds really good imo, from what ive heard they dont have any drone issues.

Im using a magnaflow competition catback and i can hear some drone, its not awful and its not noticable at all with music on but no music or gf talking my ear off you can tell its there.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I have one of the louder systems available (MRT Turboback) and if I am cruising on the freeway maintaining the same speed it sounds completely stock on the inside of the car.

However, if boost starts to build the exhaust speaks up quickly letting me know it's still there.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
ForeverMachine,

I received your PM and will reply here shortly. Just to reply to your thread here, we have ZERO drone with our exhaust and at highway cruising speeds it sounds near stock inside the car. Outside, you can definitely tell it has a sweet, deep, high quality MAP exhaust ;)

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
ForeverMachine,

I received your PM and will reply here shortly. Just to reply to your thread here, we have ZERO drone with our exhaust and at highway cruising speeds it sounds near stock inside the car. Outside, you can definitely tell it has a sweet, deep, high quality MAP exhaust ;)
I will agree with this, no drone on my automatic.

Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
MAperformance sounds really good imo, from what ive heard they dont have any drone issues.

Im using a magnaflow competition catback and i can hear some drone, its not awful and its not noticable at all with music on but no music or gf talking my ear off you can tell its there.

I'm considering the Magnaflow competition exhaust right now. Is the drone on your really that bad or is it tollerable under normal circumstances?

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
well for me its tolerable and when im just cruisin at speed limit its not noticable at all really. My gf wont shut up about it though so im about ready to do the gf delete from car mod and make her ass walk everywhere.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I can certainly understand that. I know the car will never sound like an 8 cyl. I just don't want it to sound like a little "honda" running around. A nice deep aggressive tone is what I want.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
it definitely doesnt sound like a riced out civic lol.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0

Sponsored

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
its a very deep sound, ill try to get a decent video of it done today. Tripod for my camera is b0rked (raged out and it was the first thing i grabbed and started beating) so im gonna have to figure out how to get the camera situated lol.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
here's my vid of the MagnaFlow comp catback... There was another one floating around with a few drive bys.

It doesn't sound like a civic :)

[ame]

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
+1 on neo's video, i watched it like 50 times before deciding to buy lol.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Exactly the sound I am looking for. Kinda loud when it starts up cold then it's seem qiet at normal idle.

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
uploading a video now, regular camera is acting up and the sound is awful on it for some reason, had to use my phone for now so....yeah.

hope it comes out alright.
Sponsored